Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 PM

Default Best M1 Carbine Book???

Just bought my first M1 Carbine and want to try to do some research before I start posting a bunch of questions on here. So...any suggestions on what the best M1 Carbine book or books would be for me to get started with?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 PM

U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production, 6th Revised and Expanded Edition [Paperback] by Craig Riesch

Easy to read and find information you need. I take it with me when purchasing carbines or parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Carbines-Warti.../dp/1882391438
Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 PM

Depends, define "BEST"

Useful books:

"The M1 Carbine: Owner's Guide" (Ruth & Duff)
"The U.S. .30 Cal. Gas Operated Carbines Volume III A Shop Manual" (Kuhnhausen)

"U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" (Riesch)
"War Baby! / War Baby II" (Ruth)

Online resources

bavarianm1carbines.com
m1carbinesinc.com

AND

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

the over 4593 posts on this forum offer a tremendous resource better than any other. Search works well most of the time.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production, 6th Revised and Expanded Edition [Paperback] by Craig Riesch

Easy to read and find information you need. I take it with me when purchasing carbines or parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Carbines-Warti.../dp/1882391438
Thanks for the recommendation! Just followed your link to Amazon and ordered it.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 AM

Default What are you looking for?

The story of how 10 companies, only one of which was a gun maker, came together to make 6.5 million carbines in about 3 years is the most fascinating aspect of the M1 carbine. The stories of how we, this nation, pulled this off is amazing. No other country in the world could have done it. 6.5 million made and all parts are interchangeable.

The only really good book on this story is Larry Ruth's "War Baby". It makes the other books into pamphlets. I've had my "War Baby" and "War Baby Comes Home" for about 4 years and I still can just pick it up, crack it open to any page and get a great read. So if you want a manual or brief visit with the carbine, get something other than "War Baby". If you want a great read and reference book, buy "War Baby".
Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
The story of how 10 companies, only one of which was a gun maker, came together to make 6.5 million carbines in about 3 years is the most fascinating aspect of the M1 carbine. The stories of how we, this nation, pulled this off is amazing. No other country in the world could have done it. 6.5 million made and all parts are interchangeable.

The only really good book on this story is Larry Ruth's "War Baby". It makes the other books into pamphlets. I've had my "War Baby" and "War Baby Comes Home" for about 4 years and I still can just pick it up, crack it open to any page and get a great read. So if you want a manual or brief visit with the carbine, get something other than "War Baby". If you want a great read and reference book, buy "War Baby".
+1 You couldn't get the OSHA paperwork, contracts written and opened for bids, Contracting Officer's Representative selected, funding, TM's written, maintenance documentation and environmental approval completed in three years today! And that is all pre-production requirements.

War Baby is 99% correct and a good read for sure. Regards, Rick.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 AM

I have them all....including the War Babies. I find War Baby reading like a textbook. Also it is not portable. I use the Riesch book 99.9% of the time. I want to look at parts types, manufacturing markings, and time frame usage. Riesch is great for that purpose.

Anything overly specific can be asked here. I looked at War Baby like twice since I was given a copy some 4 years ago.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM
GSM Master Instructor

An incredibly interesting book is “The M1 Carbine: A Revolution in Gunstocking” (about the S.E. Overton Company), and is a great read about how all these companies pulled off such an amazing feat. I highly recommend this one.fficeffice" />>>
Mike B>>
NRA Range Safety Officer
Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Default Carbine books-info

Hi, All as previously posted plus join the Carbine Club and get yourself a set of the back newsletters. John
Old 01-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Well here goes. I ordered Ruth's War Baby (well Santa brought me one) and certainly dissapinted in what I found. After being on this forum for a while and reading about all the various parts available for this lil gun I was really interested in only the Winchester carbine. Hoping that the book would detail what parts were supposed to be where. Well it didnt do that and only had a small part dedicated to Winchester. Well it covered most all different makers of the carbine but certainly in no detail. I have read on this forum references to a front sight saying like oh thats a type so in so sight or a type 3 band or type so in so rear sight. Still have no clue as to what they are and where they came from. Still looking for a informative book or other ways to get some good positive information