Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Default Need advice....Acraglas coloring and general usage tips

I bought an Acraglas gel shop kit from Brownells. Love the C&R discount. Anyways....I am going to use the material to fill some small gouges on an M1903 stock. I would like to get the color to match well if possible. I have several wood dyes (brown, black, mahogany) that I should be able to use along with the ones supplied.

Any suggestions on how to tell how the color will turn out and any tips to use to get the gouge filled smooth would be greatly appreciated. The material has very little shrinkage upon drying so that is an obvious benefit. Does the color change upon drying??? That is my main concern.

I just don't want to bang the gouge and have the stock chip on me. I would rather it be solid. Nice stock, just a few minor fixes and would love to learn to do this work myself. Then move onto glass bedding M1A actions.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM

TransTint dyes will work with Acraglas. Called them to make sure....just add directly to the resin and mix prior to adding the hardener. Do not dilute the dye. Cool....those TransTint dyes are fantastic.

Please advise on tips and tricks fellas.

Like how to keep it confined to the gouge area....tape if off?????

How to keep the surface of the bedding compound smooth???? Sanding afterward????? Which grit????

Stuff like that.

I will of course practice on sample wood and report back my findings.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
TransTint dyes will work with Acraglas. Called them to make sure....just add directly to the resin and mix prior to adding the hardener. Do not dilute the dye. Cool....those TransTint dyes are fantastic.

Please advise on tips and tricks fellas.

Like how to keep it confined to the gouge area....tape if off?????

How to keep the surface of the bedding compound smooth???? Sanding afterward????? Which grit????

Stuff like that.

I will of course practice on sample wood and report back my findings.
You can keep the mixture confined by building a "dam" with modeling clay. Rasp and sand the excess (after it dries) to blend with the stock surface. Grit is up to you to match the texture of the wood surface. I really never cared about an exact color match as the repair will be noticable no matter what. You can mix wood rasp filings into the gel to get a rougher texture. Acraglas is a wonderful stock finish also. It can be tricky to apply. Cut your gel mixture with acetone (1 part gel to 9 parts acetone). It penetrates great and dries very quickly to a hard finish. You can leave it in the wood for a dull finish or bring it out on the surface for a glossy finish. I leave mine in the wood to match the oil finishes. The finish is extremely durable and won't come off in the rain.
She was with the Russians too?

Last edited by patio; 01-12-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Thanks patio.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Banned

Use the dye in the kit very sparingly. Just a speck of the stuff goes a long way. It must have been a long time ago, but I think I remember trying to put some Minwax stain in the agraglass mixture and it failed to harden.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Yeah....that's why I will use the TransTint bottles. I can control the amount. Probably only need a single drop.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 PM

For a gouge, a little of the Acraglas goes a long way. Mix it up and just use the wooden stir stick to trowel it into the gouge. Leave a little extra above the wood surface. After it dries, just sand it down. It sands easily to a beautiful edge.

If you mix wood sandings with it to "color" it, use a lighter colored wood in the epoxy (e.g. use pine sanding to patch a walnut stock). The wood sandings will darken as if wet, and take on a slightly darker color. BTW, the epoxy will not accept stain. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Epoxy accepted stain prior to the addition of hardener. Too easily. I am going to have to try some wood shavings. A single drop made the mixture much, much too dark.

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions and advice. I gouged a scrap piece of wood a few times and tried to fill four bumps for practice. Get the color right, the taping off correct, and the level perfect prior to doing anything to the very nice USGI stock. It just has a chip that I do not want to bang near the heel and make much worse.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
Epoxy accepted stain prior to the addition of hardener. Too easily.
I was referring to standard liquid wood stain not penetrating the epoxy after it hardens. The coloring agents Acraglas supplies will (as you learned) "stain" the epoxy.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:08 AM

Consider using clear or barely tinted Acraglass. It will let the underlying grain show through and be hardly noticable. If you add sawdust it will look exactly like wood putty meaning like sh**.

This is my 40x stock I repaired with clear Acraglass. I smoothed the loose splinters in the gouges then filled. Sanded flush to the wood. Leave the repair a little rough 220 grit and it will hold a little tung oil finish to match the wood. Acraglass has a amber tint so it does slightly change the color. If I did one this deep again I would use a clear epoxy. A shallow repair the amber tint would make no difference. Make sure the Acraglass completely wets the bottom of the gouge. If you work in a cool area the epoxy sets slower and gives time for the bubbles to rise to the surface.

Last edited by bratt; 01-19-2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: add pics