Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Default Scopes on WW2 sniper rifles?

I am trying to find some background info on sniper scopes used by both the U.S., Russia, and Germany.

On the "Mythbusters" TV show, they tried to duplicate a shot where a GI sniper killed an enemy sniper by shooting him through the enemy sniper's rifle scope as the enemy sniper was just about to fire at the GI.

They did a recreation using modern scopes but the bullet could not get through all of the lenses and parts.

I don't think WW2 scopes had as many lenses or parts that the bullet would have had to shatter to get through the scope. I may be wrong but I am really curious.

I can't seem to find any cutaway views of WW2 scopes to compare them to modern scopes like this one;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Te..._internals.png

Can anyone enlighten me as the the WW2 scope equivalents to the modern scope in the web address above?

If I am right, then I am going to ask them to consider doing the setup again using WW2 or equivalent scopes.

Thanks,
louielouie

p.s. I also seem to recall reading somewhere that the snipers slipped in armor piercing rounds at their discretion.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 PM

I saw a show on snipers that they did the same test on. The modern scopes held up against a bullet, but when they used replica WWII scopes, the round went through clean...
Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Garand Plan,

I thought that might be the case. Do you remember the name of the program or the Network?

I really appreciate your input.
I wish I could find a cut-away of WW2 scopes so I could count the number of lenses, etc. as compared to the modern scope.

Thanks again,

louielouie
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM

I wonder what type of ammo was used? WWII armor piercing, or modern lead core hunting ammo?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM

There is an Enfield rifle in the Imperial War Museum in London that took a 8mm bullet up the snout. Wrecked the action--can't recall if the British soldier's fate was recorded. Good Shooting.......
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 PM

If this is the Hathcock shot I believe the RVN used Mosins for sniping. I could be wrong about that assumption though.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM

It was the episode where they used a PU replica scope. The history channel did a sniper episode where they duplicated the Hathcock shot which involved a PU equiped mosin nagant. They also tries it with several modern scopes.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM

From what I have read the Russian snipers used a variety of ammo including armor piercing, incendiary, ball, etc.

I would love to see this experiment repeated using WW2 scopes and ammo.

louielouie
Old 02-25-2012, 05:02 PM

This video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1U8YVWyMYY

Also the sniper who killed the other was Carlos Hathcock. He used a win m70 in 30-06 to take out the other sniper.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

IMHO, if Carlos said it was so, it was so.