Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Default Difference between WRA and SA lock bars?

From what I can understand, the windage knob on a WRA lock bar rear sight has open arrows, while that on a SA has closed arrows. Are there any other differences between the two - something about the lock bar itself? I've heard that sometimes rough milling marks on the back of the bar will indicate a WRA, but is this reliable? What of the pinion or other parts? Any other "tells"?

ETA: I'm talking of the Type II lock bar.

Last edited by Perplexed; 02-16-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Boy, it's sure quiet in here

I've looked in Ruth's red book, but it doesn't go into detail about the lock bars; Babcock's book shows variations of some lock bars ascribed to Winchester, but it goes on to say "other profiles of Winchester lock bars" are known. So is there a definitive way to differentiate between lock bars from SA and WRA? Otherwise, would a WRA lock bar assembly (pinion, knobs, lock bars, nut) differ from a SA lock bar set only in the arrows on the windage knob?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
Boy, it's sure quiet in here

I've looked in Ruth's red book, but it doesn't go into detail about the lock bars; Babcock's book shows variations of some lock bars ascribed to Winchester, but it goes on to say "other profiles of Winchester lock bars" are known. So is there a definitive way to differentiate between lock bars from SA and WRA? Otherwise, would a WRA lock bar assembly (pinion, knobs, lock bars, nut) differ from a SA lock bar set only in the arrows on the windage knob?
There are other differences than just the arrows. There are several variations even among WRA rear sights. Here are pics of two different types of WRA lock bars.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
There are other differences than just the arrows. There are several variations even among WRA rear sights. Here are pics of two different types of WRA lock bars.
Thanks for the pics.

What would I be looking for that would make it readily apparent these are WRA and not SA? The milling marks? I've seen pics of SA lock bars that had milling marks too.

Also, what if the lock bar is mounted on a rifle so I can't see the underside - any other way to tell then?

Besides the lock bars and arrows, what else differentiates between the two makers?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Most (maybe all) WRA pinions will have a letter, a number, or the symbol in the second pic, stamped on the pinion. All the pinions that I have seen with the symbol had the short gear, like the bottom one in the first pic. All the ones I have seen with the letter or number had the long gear, like the one on the top in the first pic.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 PM

The covers are also different. WRA covers have narrow ribs like shown in the first pic, and most will have a punch mark. SA covers have wide ribs like shown in the second pic.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
Thanks for the pics.

What would I be looking for that would make it readily apparent these are WRA and not SA? The milling marks? I've seen pics of SA lock bars that had milling marks too.

Also, what if the lock bar is mounted on a rifle so I can't see the underside - any other way to tell then?

Besides the lock bars and arrows, what else differentiates between the two makers?
All the SA square end lock bars, and some of the round end as well, appear to be forged with a smooth surface. All the WRA square end lock bars are milled and the shape is totally different than the SA square end bar. All the WRA round end lock bars I have seen are milled and milling marks are apparent on them, although with different degrees of roughness. Some SA lock bars were also milled and I don't know of any way to tell them apart from WRA. If the finish is smooth, with no milling marks they are SA. If they have tooling marks on the surface they could be SA or WRA.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the comments and additional pics, aimit. They help quite a bit. I should have specified it was the round-end lock bars I was talking about.