Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 AM

Default Chestnut Ridge stain application

I want to apply some Chestnut Ridge stain to my new CMP Service Grade Special walnut stock. I seem to remember finding instructions somewhere as to how you apply the stain (something about wet/dry paper, etc.)...now I can't find those instructions and there is really nothing on the bottle to explain how you apply the product to the stock. Any help out there???Thanks for any input you can give me...JKL
Old 02-24-2012, 01:07 AM

This page from the old 'Armorers Corner' is what I've always used as a reference. I as a novice get pretty good results with it anyway.

'Staining' techniques (re 'Chestnut Ridge') are about 6.4 in the List of Topics (scroll down)........

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/askarmore...article.htm#64
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM

I've found the Chestnut ridge goes on beautifully with one of those throw away "sponge" paintbrushes you can get for about $0.65. You can carefully do an M1 stock in about 2 minutes.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM

I used chestnut ridge and my stock came out absolutely stunning. What I don't understand is after applying two coats or pto I went to hit it with steel wool and ended up removing most of the color :-(

What did I do wrong
Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 AM

Should've used an alcohol based stain instead. The issue with more traditional stains is that they DON'T penetrate the stock. Just barely sit on top.

Make sure to clean the stock of oils prior to starting. Use mineral spirits to get the oils out. I messed around with some Chestnut Ridge stain once and threw it out. Too red. I found TransTint dyes and never looked back. It's easier than one could ever imagine. It penetrates and the color sticks around. Multiple applications necessary, the stuff dries in minutes and is ready for another coat. You apply the stuff with a shop towel or cheesecloth. Cake walk.

We should have a sticky on stock staining.

Either RIT dye strained through a coffee strainer or TransTint. Both are denatured alcohol soluble.

The TransTint is more expensive but has advantages:

1. Bottle lasts a lifetime ($20/color)
2. Recipes can be made counting drops in a 1/4 cup of denatured alcohol
3. Dye particles are smaller and hence penetrate better

I use brown mahogany, medium brown and black and it is easy to make a USGI color pallet from these. The red tint comes from the brown mahogany. The black makes everthing darker.

So easy a cave man can do it.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Chestnut is alcohol which is why I purchased it :-(
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM

I used Chestnut Ridge on a new walnut stock and it turned out great. Not too red at all. I think I applied it with a small piece of towel.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 PM

I applied two coats waited 24 between them them waited 24 and put on teo coars of pto.

When i rubbed it with steel wool all the color came out. And it would bleed color.on mt hand. How long do I need to let it dry between coats?

If the stock was previously treated with pto what do I need to do to get it to accept chestnut ridge.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 PM

I've used Chestnut Ridge stain (which is alcohol base) with at least 8 stocks and never had your problem.

Only difference I can see if I don't use tung oil. I went to and continue to use BLO or raw linseed oil after a bad experience with PTO(which never dried completely)

You can apply Chestnut Ridge right over BLO. Maybe you should try it over the PTO and see if you can revive the color. If not I would strip it and start over.

AB
Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 PM

I'm having the exact same problem right now with Chestnut Ridge. It keeps coming off on my hands or a rag. I've got a thread going about this issue and Orlando and Rick B are both offering guidance. I'll let you know if we discover the problem!