Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM

Default Push button safety m1 carbine

Well,I finaly got it in this afternoons mail and I have to say it was a snap to install.It was very easy.I had it in about 1 minute,after all it was my first time to install one.I thank everyone here for all the advice you guys gave me.I sved the old flip lever style I took out just in case I ever want to put it back.So thanks guys. sj
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Glad to hear! It can be very intimidating the first time you take it apart all by your self. I think it took me over two hours to figure out how to take part and reassemble the carbine/trigger housing/bolt the first time I did it all alone. Now its a breeze to take one all the way down and get it back together in only minutes. It metal - as long as you are not bending or breaking anything, you are not going to hurt it!

What sub-assembly are you going to try next?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 PM

I never tore any thing down.I did it with it all together.I'm not planning on doing anything else to it.I'm just fixing it up to be a shooter.I'm not trying to restore it to like all specs.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 PM

"YouTube" has several very detailed videos on the disassembly and reassembly of an M1 carbine trigger housing. No special tools needed other than a liitle elbow grease and your operating slide spring guide
Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM

You don't even have to take the trigger housing out of the rifle to change it out.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 PM

shel,

Everyone understands how you probably changed the safety by just turning the rifle over. I think everyone is encouraging you to really get into your carbine. Its not a matter of changing parts out to correct it (which I personally discourage). From a practical standpoint, your carbine will need to be properly field stripped and cleaned on a routine basis to keep it functional and in good condition. With proper care, your grandkids will be enjoying that weapon! Some of these carbines have cosmoline stuck in the strangest places that may have been dried for 50 years!

Just let any of us know and we can walk you through any of it. As mentioned, YouTube has an endless supply of step-by-step videos that others have made.

Nope, I don't "correct" parts when I take my shooters apart. I clean, preserve, oil, trouble shoot and repair (yes, some parts are worn out and must be replaced to maintain them). Geez, all this talk about cleaning carbines make me want to go pull something out of the safe for a good oil and greasing!!!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Tired,I have taken it all the way down just to clean it,and learn how to do it and how all the parts are situated.It was a great learning experience.I also saved to my desktop how to disasemble and reasemble the whole rifle including the trigger group,but I still come here where all the knowledgeble people are when I have any questions I'm not sure about.I'm not too prouud to ask questions when I need help.Sj