Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 AM

Default Imr 4198

Anyone tried IMR 4198 for 223 (AR 's). Was looking at my manuals lot,s of choices for 223. If so did 4198 work well? Just finished sizing/prepping brass cases.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM

I just spent a couple of days prepping .223 cases myself. I had to go through about 500 once shot Remington cases and about 300 LC and Federal military cases. I loaded some of the 4198 with Hornady 55gr V-Max because I have 2# of it in the cabinet and nothing else to use it for. It will be a couple of weeks before i get out to see how it shoots. I loaded 20gr and 21.5gr (above Hornady's Max but other independant data said differently) at 2.52 OAL with Wolf .223 primers for my new Mossberg MVP bolt gun. I also loaded some rounds with Varget and IMR 4895 with both 55gr V-Max and FMJBT 55gr bullets. 4895 produces a compressed charge, at least when first dumped in the case. It's a long grain extruded powder so it doesn't settle well when first charged.

I do like the way the 4198 meters. Very consistant. So much so, about half way through the 50 rounds I loaded I quit measuring each charge and went to every 5 or so. They were right on with my RCBS Uniflow with the added baffle in it. Time will tell on how it shoots. Seems like it will produce good velocities with a minimal charge weight.

Of course for your AR you may want to reduce the charges from what I plan to put through my bolt gun. Say 16-18gr? I know nothing about loading for AR's but I did note there was no Service Rifle data for 4198 in the Horn book. Not appropriate?

Larry

Last edited by lapriester; 03-23-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 PM

I had great luck and accuracy with it in the AR-15, Contenders, XP-100 and a couple Remington 700s using both 52 Gr. Match bullets and 55 Gr. V-Max. It was the powder I started using in the 70s for 223 and I never tried anything else. I found that the V-Max bullets were as accurate or more accurate then the more expensive Match bullets so my only load since Hornady came out with them is 4198 and 55 gr V-max
Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM

4198 produces very accurate ammunition in the .223 (and .222) for 55 grain bullets and lighter. It is a bit too fast for optimum results with heavier bullets.

I have only shot 4198 in bolt guns, but there is no reason the ammunition would not work well in ARs.
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM

21.5 grs of 4198 with a 55 gr bullet has been one of if not the top accuracy load in the .223 for many years. Velocity is about 2975 fps out of an AR15. It works very well with bullets between 50 and 55 grs.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 PM

Good I used Sierra #1360 55 gr. Spitzer with 21.5 grains of 4198. Bullet is a softpoint. That should "dust" a coyote. Good weather in Texas this weekend. Will go to range and then go predator "coyote" hunting. Should work.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:32 AM

Thumbs up

Great thread for a new .223 reloader like myself. Can't wait to get to the range and see how these shoot. Then it's up to Oregon for some coyote and desert rat destruction. I've never done any varmint hunting and predator hunting so it's a new experience for me. The predator hunting sounds exciting and I've been gathering the tools of the trade lately in prep for May, when I go up to my house in central Oregon near Bend. I'm reading that there's no lack of targets around on public ground. I'll try to leave enough for the vultures with those V-Max

Larry

Last edited by lapriester; 03-25-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 AM

Being the lazy sort, I shoot coyotes with my match handloads, mostly Sierra 52s over Varget. These won't expand (or disintegrate, or whatever they do) at longer ranges, but, in my experience neither will soft points from the .223 (.22-250 is a different story). The better accuracy from the match bullets is not much of a factor for coyotes, buts pays off if some prairie dogs materialize.
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 AM

I found results with IMR 4198 to vary significantly depending on temperature. A load developed in 90 degree plus Summer temperatures isn't nearly as attractive in 20 degree Winter. Actually the temperature difference doesn't have to be that much. I found H 4198 is more consistant.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:47 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
I found results with IMR 4198 to vary significantly depending on temperature. A load developed in 90 degree plus Summer temperatures isn't nearly as attractive in 20 degree Winter. Actually the temperature difference doesn't have to be that much. I found H 4198 is more consistant.
Just a thought and something to think about doing some tests on. I'll bet if you changed to magnum primers in cold weather you would find it helps a lot. I've had problems in very cold weather with several IMR powders including IMR 4350. In Idaho several years ago I had two different misfires in my 7MM Mag hunting reloads in 10-20 degree weather with standard primers (of course they were at the worse possible moments). I've shot hundreds of rounds of that particular load in warmer weather over the years and never once had a single problem. The next trip to Idaho I went with an old gentleman 75 years old (and he could still outhike me in those mountains at 10K ft) and he told me that he had the same problem over 40 years before and found out that if he expected cold weather and used magnum primers he never had misfires. He also said he did extensive accuracy checks that showed him that it shot just as accurate in cold as it did in warm weather with the same powder charge. With standard primers the POI was quite a bit different (low) in cold weather and he had experienced misfires as well.

Maybe that's one of the reasons mil spec primers are essentially magnum grade primers. Better consistancy and reliability between warm and cold weather??

Larry