Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 PM

Default Fulton Armory?

Are these carbines worth the money, or can I get something just as good for less? Shelves are pretty bare up here in AK when it comes to M1 Carbines. Only thing you see are a couple of Auto-Ordnance reproductions every now and then. I've got a RM1SPECIAL Garand and love it. I'd like to have an M1 Carbine of similar quality to go with it. Is the Fulton the way to go, or are there almost new USGI carbines out there? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:16 PM

If you are handy build a USGI out of parts, have it reparked and put it in a new stock. Rebuilding a carbine will cost you some money but you will have something new looking. Nothing wrong with an Auto Ordance carbine and the price has come down and are now a reasonable buy.

Emmett
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM

The carbines at fulton are rebuilt. They are "refurbished" on a USGI receiver with alot of "Fulton" parts. From what I hear, they are pretty good as shooters, but they have little collector value. As with any rifle/carbine, the receiver is the heart. With tehm using a USGI receiver, I would say that they are better built than the Auto Ordnance new carbines. Thats just my opinion.

If you are looking for a shooter with a little bit more collector value, you may want to check with Orion 7 at M1garand.com. They list several levels of carbines which are stated to be 100% USGI parts.

Both of the above options are a bit pricey for what you get (in my opinion). I have never purchased from either of these coompanies (and I have no affilliations either).

The best way to get a good carbine with collector value is to buy one from someone with a GOOD reputation. They are listed in the To Sell section of this forum. Just be patient and shop around. unless you have alo of money to spend, it will take you a while to get a decent collection going...

Just my two cents...
Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 PM

Yep, best prices for what you are buying and get is right here. Go back through this thread ( http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=88 ) and watch it for future postings.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM

I have one and if you want a good shooter that comes with a warranty it's worth the money. I got it so I don't feel badly about my 9 and 11 year old shooting the heck out of it. They can put enough lead downrange you would think they were in final protective fire against several Chinese hoards. Fulton says all is USGI except for the Criterion barrel (excellent), stock (theirs is excellent quality) and rear milled sight which doesn't look any different than the USGI milled sights I have. As far as I can tell that is true. My receiver is Winchester 5.6, trigger housing is Inland, QH slide, NMP bolt and Underwood hammer, for example. Gas nut was the older, non chamfered type, which I replaced with the newer style because I had one.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I've bought carbines that had the common failure to extract or eject problems and worked my way through them, new springs, bought the bolt tool and rebuilt the bolt, etc. Much to my dismay I had the same problem with the Fulton. Sent it back to them on their dime, went to the front of the build line and they replaced the bolt, bolt parts and slide and sent it back within the week. Yes, I could have done all of that myself for less, but Fulton has a good reputation for customer service and this rifle has a warranty. I was ********ed when this one caused me problems on the first magazine and to Fulton's credit I could have taken them up on their 30 day money back guarantee. I elected to have them fix it knowing they would go through it thoroughly. It's run fine since then.

Would I buy another? Probably not, but I don't regret the one I have. Retired is right, there are excellent carbines for sale here that you can buy with confidence. Only down side is by the time you click over to look at the pictures and click back, it's already sold. Can't think about it too long around here.

Last edited by wensteph; 04-13-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Here's a picture of a recent carbine project that I built up myself with all USGI components. I had to have a gunsmith headspace it for me ($45), the rest I assembled myself. Took a couple of years to get all the parts from the internet or hand selected at gunshows, but it was great fun and I learned a lot.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:29 AM

That's a good looking rifle. What's the stock and receiver?
Agreed on the receiver. It would have to be a better than the majority of commercials. The commercial receivers all seem to have the same feel when racking them by hand. Even with all other USGI components, compared to USGI receivers they just don't feel as smooth or solid. I haven't played with the AO yet though.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Carbines are a fun build. Here is a picture of my 5 digit Inland (from CMP) with early parts I accuired over the years. Found the Paratroopper stock (original) at a gunshow a couple of years ago ($50 ) needed a recoil plate cover.....A little elbow grease and cleanup...Here it is....The deals are out there...You gotta have the patience and time to look.....

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/DSC01114.jpg
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/DSC01103.jpg
Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 PM

Hey, OP and everyone else who hasn't done it, go to the link below and add your "I dodit mineself" and post some pics, even tell us what it cost you IF you remember that.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=27834
Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 PM

I think you guys are getting off track with this. It was much easier to 'did' it myself (past tense) than it is to 'do' it yourself today. The last carbines in J.R's link were not expensive because they were put together from parts the owner had laying around or something they spent several years putting together. The OP doesn't have that and the parts market has gone up also.

It doesn't add to the conversation when someone is asking about a quality carbine in today's CMP is sold out and prices are sky high market for someone to say they got theirs for only $25 from the NRA back in the 60's.

I have 5 carbines and one is the Fulton rebuilt posted about above. Just to update info about the Fulton rebuild, I have no failures to load, fire, extract nor eject. It functions without failure on Prvi FMJ and SP, S&B FMJ, Magtech FMJ, Federal Power Shok SP, Speer Gold Dot SP, Barnes DPX, BVAC SP and Georgia Arms SP. It functions with USGI 15 and 30 round magazines, Korean 15s and keepshooting.com brand 15 and 30 rounders.

Last edited by wensteph; 04-22-2012 at 11:55 PM.