Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
save your money...buy a commecial Unertl. youll be glad you did..200.00 more is worth every penny.
I can't find any 8X, 1.25 inch commercial Unertl's for sale at any price. Even 10, 12 and 14x 's are hard to find and pricey. I figure if I am going to build one of these suckers, I want a rifle that can be used in CMP shoots, so I like the idea of the 8x Malcom. I figure if I ever want to sell the rifle, there will be more market for a rifle that is CMP ready. I just am not crazy about the mounts.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM

Default Georgia Games result using HiLux 8X scope

After reading Greg F's posting on the HiLux 8X scope I did exactly what he said. I turned the thumbscrew a little, and using a smaller screw driver, attempted to tighten the inner screw. This needed to be done real careful, as the metal slot began to deform. Did the same thing to the front mount, and then left for the GA Games. When the Sniper Match was shot, the mount shot loose after ten rounds were fired. This might not have been a problem, but my spotter also needed to use this rifle also, and his score was 20 points less. One of the shooters was so discouraged with his scope he offered it for sale at the end of the match. From what I understand he sold the package for $1100.00 just to get rid of it. My feelings are the scope is very good, but the mounts leave much to be desired. If HiLux can do something about it, then I might use it on my 1903. If not, it will go on a vintage 22LR. Hope that this helps. BJ.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM

The inner screws on the mount will not tighten the mount. They are only removable studs for the big thumbscrew to attach to.
You should be able to remove them and replace with a harder screw, however, they are pot metal and will gall when you try and get them out.
Cheap pieces of Chinese crap! The mounts that is.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86SVO351 View Post
..snip.. One of the shooters was so discouraged with his scope he offered it for sale at the end of the match. From what I understand he sold the package for $1100.00 just to get rid of it...snip .
These scopes have been out for what? A month maybe two. Seems like that particular shooter gave pretty easy.
The marines at least gave it about a year before declaring the original "not effective in combat" and cancelling further Unertl scope procurements.

I guess some folks want every thing the easy way.

Regards,

Jim
Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM

over that last few weeks iv watched a few 10 and 12 power Unertl scopes sell for under 700.00 on Fleabay, i bid a rough 8 power up to 555.00 and let it go
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM

Yea....but.....we can't shoot anything but the 8X and I'm not paying for a scope to get mounts.
Got an RMA from Hi-Lux to return the scope and have them look at and fix the mounts. They claim that they have have REAL screws for the mounts. We'll see.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM

If D.Z. Arms can manufacture and sell high quality Unertl repro mounts for
$400, I have to believe that Hi-Lux could manufacture the same thing (i.e. same quality) for quite a bit less in China (where the Hi-Lux Malcom Marine Sniper scope is manufactured.) I bet they would sell just as many for $749 as they are for $549.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM

There is a three digit pre-war original 8X 1" target scope on flea bay. Second time listed as it hasn't hit the reserve price.

Last two Unertl 1" 8 power target scopes went in the $1200 range.

You could buy a Hi-Lux and set of Unertl mounts for less, granted you have a copy and not an original but since the Hi-Lux is not an accurate copy of the original USMC Sniper scope I guess function trumps appearance.

If you are looking for a set of original Unertl mounts, you could buy a Unertl tube sight and use the mounts from the tube sight. As "loose" Unertl mounts are that not that common to find separate and usually sell for more than the last few tube sights with mounts have sold for.

I have no connection to any of the Unertl products up for sale currently.

TW56
Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW56 View Post
There is a three digit pre-war original 8X 1" target scope on flea bay. Second time listed as it hasn't hit the reserve price.

Last two Unertl 1" 8 power target scopes went in the $1200 range.

You could buy a Hi-Lux and set of Unertl mounts for less, granted you have a copy and not an original but since the Hi-Lux is not an accurate copy of the original USMC Sniper scope I guess function trumps appearance.

If you are looking for a set of original Unertl mounts, you could buy a Unertl tube sight and use the mounts from the tube sight. As "loose" Unertl mounts are that not that common to find separate and usually sell for more than the last few tube sights with mounts have sold for.

I have no connection to any of the Unertl products up for sale currently.

TW56
The 1" Unertl's have an overall length of 21 3/4", which is shorter than the Hi-Lux, which is a good 2 inches shorter than the original Marine Sniper's. I personally don't want to pay nearly $1,200 for an 8x Unertl unless it is a 1.25" model with black mounts. Otherwise, it is too dissimilar in appearance for my personal taste. I bet H-Lux will improve the mounts on their scope eventually.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdog` View Post
The 1" Unertl's have an overall length of 21 3/4", which is shorter than the Hi-Lux, which is a good 2 inches shorter than the original Marine Sniper's. I personally don't want to pay nearly $1,200 for an 8x Unertl unless it is a 1.25" model with black mounts. Otherwise, it is too dissimilar in appearance for my personal taste. I bet H-Lux will improve the mounts on their scope eventually.
When you are talking about the 1" target scopes, are you describing the one that's on the lower action in the photo?
DR #1724
President's Hundred