Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 08:20 AM

Default M1 Garand Ammunition

What types of ammunition are safe to use in M1 Garand Rifles. I have been told that 30-06 ammo such as Remington Core Lokt can generate excessive pressure that can damage the operating rod. I do not wish to damage my rifle, so can anyone give me a suggestion of the proper ammunition to use in the weapon. Are surplus HXP the ideal bullets to use?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM

The ideal round to shoot is the one that gives you the best accuracy. I would not shoot commercial hunting rounds in my M1 unless you get an adjustable gas plug because as you stated you could damage the operating rod and ruin your day.

I currently use surplus M2 rounds like Lake City or HXP in my Garand.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:40 PM

HXP is the best currently available M2 ball. Get a bunch...as much as you can afford and then some on the CC. Once gone, it's gone. I am sitting on 15k rounds of it. Enough for my entire lifetime. Great brass to use to roll your own when it runs dry.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Get an adjustable gas plug and stop worrying.

Here's some interesting reading as this topic comes up all the time.

http://www.garandgear.com/index.php?...arand&catid=39

I guess you have to read both sides and make up your mind what you are going to do in your rifle.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Federal currently produces American Eagle 150 grain FMJ specially designed for the M1 Garand.
The powder used must be of a medium burn rate, such as IMR4895. Most commerical produced ammo can be loaded with differant burning rates, over a number of years produced. Basically the manufacturer, purchases a specific lot of powder, loads test rounds. The charges are increased slowly, untill the desired velocity is reached. Then the pressure is checked, if it's in specs., and the accuracy is ok. That what they will be loading. Next year, it starts all over again. Many cartridge manufacturers, do not produce powder, so they are allways looking for a "deal".
Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 PM

M2 ball is what you need HXP is the most avaliable right now but there is many other surplus M2 types floating around. As stated above you can use commercial ammo if you use an adjustable gas plug, I think Aim Surplus has some for sale
Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 AM

If you want to purchase new commerical cartridges, Federal carries a line of ammuntion specially loaded for the M1, and M1A rifle. Of course M2 Ball ammo is what was designed to fine in the M1's and possibly a billion rounds were loaded in the U.S over the life of the M1. However that round has no been loaded in about 30 years.
I personally do not buy in to the latest after market accessories.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-7-2 View Post
I personally do not buy in to the latest after market accessories.
Why? Do you know something that we don't know? I have never heard of anyone bending/breaking an op rod with a properly adjusted, adjustable gas plug.

Eric's testing shows real pressure data on ammo and makes a good case for different plugs, or using ammo that shouldn't need an adjustable plug. But it is your rifle so you need to make up your mind what you are going to do.

If you know something we don't or have any info to say that these adjustable gas plugs don't work, please share with the group.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 AM

No problem with adjustable gas plugs and thumbs up for the HXP. If you use an adjustable gas plug, you won't have any problems with the op rod. My concern is typically with primer sensitivity in commercial ammo in an M1. While I have never had a problem with my M1's, I did have an SKS double fire using Federal commercial ammo. That said, it was over 10 years ago and a completely different rifle.

Might I also add that reloading is also an option. We are starting to get into an era with these old milsurps where it is easier to find components than ammunition. I do always test new primers for sensitivity. I take a sized primed case and put it in the chamber. I let the bolt slam home on it. I have as of yet never had a primer ignite in my rifles doing this. A few looked like they should have fired due to the dimple. I later loaded the cartridges and fired them at the range to make sure they weren't dud primers.
--UUU---(iii)---UUU--

Last edited by kilroywashere; 05-11-2012 at 09:40 AM.