Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Default M2 Carbine bolt...Different from M1 Carbine Bolt?

I've found some used Quality Hardware EM-Q marked round carbine bolts for sale but they are listed as being M2 Carbine bolts. I talked to the sales rep and all she could tell me was that these bolts are listed in their online catalog as being only compatible with the M2 Carbine and that they would not be compatible with the M1 Carbine. I only have the Reisch carbine book as a reference to go by, but there is no mention of a special M2 bolt in this book...only the Types I, II and III. The book lists the QHMC Type III round bolt as being marked EM-Q, so my guess is that they don't know what they are talking about, that these round EM-Q marked complete bolt assemblies they have for sale are simply Type III QHMC M1 Carbine bolts.

Would anyone agree with my assessment or is there really such a thing as an M2 Carbine bolt that is not compatible with the M1 Carbine?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM

The round bolts were just easier to produce, and they did add some mass for the M2 cycling. It's a type III bolt.
No difference in the USGI bolts for M1 and M2. If it's cheaper for being sold as an M2 bolt, that's a bonus.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenOC View Post
The round bolts were just easier to produce, and they did add some mass for the M2 cycling. It's a type III bolt.
No difference in the USGI bolts for M1 and M2. If it's cheaper for being sold as an M2 bolt, that's a bonus.
It's about $90 for the complete bolt assembly, and both the firing pin and extractor are also supposed to be QHMC marked. I'll disassemble it after it arrives though to make sure. I don't really know if this is a good deal or not, but don't know if I'll be able to find a better deal for a complete EM-Q bolt down the road either.

Thanks for responding to my question! I feel confident making the purchase now.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM

Though they were not specifically made for the M2 version,but the old 1953 Carbine manual I have says conserve them for the M2 though if possible.They are a bit stronger than the flats too in my opinion.They are both functional in either version however.

Last edited by carbineone; 04-27-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM

I could use an EM-Q round bolt for a 4.6m QHMC if anyone knows where to find one.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Both type II (flat bolts) and Type III (round bolts) were designed for the M1 carbine (READ ON...). The changes that "created" the round bolt were made independent of the creation of the M-2 design/modifications. The M1 will function with either bolt - so will the M2. So it is best to recognize that the two bolt designs are NOT specifically M1 or M2 bolts - they are for EITHER weapon.

Type II (flat) bolts are usually more "popular" with collectors since that is (generally) the bolt used during the majority of carbine production. It you are wanting an "production" bolt for your carbine, it is PROBABLY going to be a flat bolt (but check your carbine's production date). Type III bolts were actually used toward the end of production by a coupld of manufacturers. But that is a totally different topic...

Type III bolts are the more "modern" bolts and incorporate numerous design changes over the flat bolts. They are a bit stronger and have a few more features. One is the different cut angle on the lugs. When coupled with the Type V slide (with design number # 7160091 on it), or a Type VI slide, will provide a designed delay in unlocking the bolt which helps everything run smoother. I have worked to get all of my shooters round bolts and delay-cut slides.

Please note that I did not talk about Type I bolts - if you can get one of those $90 I will take 10, please.

Oh, and as a safety note - anytime you replace the bolt you must check the headspace to make sure it is safe to fire.

Forgive me running off on the keyboard, but I hope this helps...

Last edited by Tired Retired; 04-27-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM

Are the head space gauges (Forster) a good buy at $27.90 plus $5 shipping?
Which gauge is the one a person doesn't need?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenOC View Post
Are the head space gauges (Forster) a good buy at $27.90 plus $5 shipping?
Which gauge is the one a person doesn't need?
I saw a recommendation given on the CMP armorer's corner (or tech talk or something similar) to buy the Clymer headspace gages because they have tighter tolerances. A few months ago I decided to find out if this was true so I called Forster, Clymer and Manson to find out what they're specs were (for the life of me I can't remember if I was getting the spec's for the M1 or the carbine). Anyway, as it turned out, the Clymer headspace gages do indeed have tighter tolerances. If I remember correctly, the CMP article explained why this was preferred for the semi-auto over the bolt action. So far I've only bought headspace gages for my Swiss K31 because the gunsmith I use didn't have any, but I still would feel more comfortable having the gunsmith check my headspace though.

Last edited by Tex; 04-27-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the extra info Tired Retired. Yes, it is always great advice to get headspace checked when changing out a bolt and this is something I do without fail either when changing a bolt or after purchasing a prior owned weapon.

I've seen some videos on YouTube that show an M1 and other kinds of rifles exploding to pieces and don't want to ever be behind the sights of a weapon that has that happen to it because I didn't validate the headspace.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:45 PM

Default Round bolt adds mass for the M2??

I have always "assumed" the heaver round bolt is meant too help compensate for the lighter weight of the M2 slide. The right side of a M2 slide is cut thinner to allow for clearance of the full auto trip lever.

I would also think the heaver round bolt would help slow the rate of fire in full auto?

But I may be all wet, I have azz-u-me (d) so much over the years that my wife has long forgotten my name and now she just calls me an azz, along with a few other favored pet names.

ONLY $14.00 for a FULL year Membership http://m1collectorsclub.com

Our Wounded Vets gave so much for us. Show them YOU care!
Please support the M1 for Vets Program! NEW WEBSITE!! http://m1forvets.org