Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Default Century Model 100, 45-70 Revolver Value??

Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy this revolver from an estate. So, I am looking for advice or opinions on the value of a beautiful condition Century Model 100 in 45-70. I want to make sure that I pay a fair price, so that both parties are happy, but I don't know what is fair for this. Its serial number is 056. Made in Evansville, Ind. I have read various gunboards on the history, which represents the 100th year of the 45-70 cartridge. The first batch were handmade in Evansville by Keller and Keith. There really is no info that I have found to relate values. Blue book doesn't distinguish the price difference for early models like this one verses the later models that were made after the company was changed over to new owners.

It is not in my possession. It is a huge gun.

Any input is appreciated, even if it is a range. I see one on Gunbroker, but that one starts at $3500, which IMO is toooo high...

Here are a couple of pics

Thanks,
Huck

Last edited by Huckleberry; 05-10-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Pics added
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM

I don't know the value. Sorry. Back in the early nineties I knew a guy that had one. I put on the holster and walked around for about a half hour. I developed a small limp. There's nothing quite like a revolver that weighs approximately the same as a large bore rifle. I will ask around. I may be able to find a guesstimated value.

Derek
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 PM

I remember this post, I think it is the same as what you are describing.

Don't know if it ever sold or not.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....light=revolver
Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 PM

Holy Cow!!! That is a lot of $$$. However, he did have it appraised.
I see, that one is an experimental one. I am sure it is much more valuable than this one. .
I have always heard the saying, "the value is what someone is willing to pay for it".
That is quite a bit out of my price range. I am sure the seller would like that, though.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 PM

I don't think I've ever seen one of those for sale for much under 6 or 7 thousand.I don't know if any of them ever sold for that kind of money.It's hard to track those so few were made.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 PM

I added some pics for further reference. Last one is blurry, but it says "Model 100".

Thanks for your continuing efforts.

Huck
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM

I was offered one at $1500 at a gun show not that long ago. As of a couple months ago the guy still had it and that included an awsome holster and case. I
Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 PM

For what it is worth, I sold one in the early part of the 2000's for $1300-$1400 (bad memory). No idea what they are going for now.

My dad got the thing for just over $300 in the early 80's after having ordered it some time in the late 70's.