Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 04:21 PM

Default Expander die

Just bought RCBS expander die for 30 carbine. I have not used an expander die as of yet. I read the instructions. However how do you forum members set the expander die properly for the 30 carbine. Have loaded thousands of rds just never used an expander die. The case is tapered so how do you set the expander "just" right to slightly bell out mouth. Have already prepped brass sized and trimmed. Next step expansion. Thanks. Will read your answers, and instructions again and attempt to set up and expand cases.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywash View Post
Just bought RCBS expander die for 30 carbine. I have not used an expander die as of yet. I read the instructions. However how do you forum members set the expander die properly for the 30 carbine. Have loaded thousands of rds just never used an expander die. The case is tapered so how do you set the expander "just" right to slightly bell out mouth. Have already prepped brass sized and trimmed. Next step expansion. Thanks. Will read your answers, and instructions again and attempt to set up and expand cases.
Don't know what the instructions say, but for that die to work properly, the cases all need to be trimmed to the same length or you will get varying amounts of belling. Some just right, some too much (case too long), some not enough (case short). Given the way the carbine flings brass, not sure if its worth all the work.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM

I set my expander die so that the base of the bullet just sits inside the mouth of the case. i try to err on the small side first and add a little more belling if necessary. If the case mouth is chamfered, that helps in reducing the amount of belling needed.

As Mad_Gorilla said, case length will affect the amount of belling. But, I find, if the cases are within the "normal" range for trim length, I really do not see much difference between the various length cases since the variance in length is small.

I hate trimming so I trim only cases that exceed the published maximum length, actually my case length gauge is cut a couple thousandths less. I trim to a few thousandths longer than minimum so the range of my cases is in the .004-.006 inch range.

I use a taper crimp die to remove the belling after the bullet is seated.

I do the same with all my handgun cartridges as well.

I put down a couple strategically located drop cloths that catch all my carbine brass. Makes the cases easy to find and worth reloading.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfullgraf View Post
I set my expander die so that the base of the bullet just sits inside the mouth of the case.
+1.

Don

Sorry, but I will not argue with someone about the length of the rope they intend to hang me with.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 PM

Because you generally use a crimp die of some type on 30 carbine to remove the bell, you can over-expand the necks slightly. As mentioned the cases are not the same length--I generally crimp by "feel" to avoid collapsing cases and overcrimping long ones. Good Shooting.....
Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 PM

It only needs to be set to expand the neck enough to insert and seat a bullet without shaving the sides of the bullet. That is not very much. Doing any more is not necessary and can present problems when "crimping" it back (which is not really a crimp, it's just closing the expanson against the bullet). Carbine brass also should be checked for length and trimmed as necessary after each and every firing. You need to alway chamfer the inside edge of once fired and trimmed brass (outside deburring too on trimmed).

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/pdfs/CMP_...Notes_2007.pdf

Larry

Last edited by lapriester; 05-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the Input and the "link", working much better for me. Think I finally got it. Thanks again.