Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 PM

Default Awesome M84 replica

Just picked up an M84 replica from Midway. This is how it looked after three clips. You just don't see more realistic replicas than this.

Does anyone know if there is more than one company making these? It came in a white box without a name. I'd like to get another but not from the same manufacturer.

Last edited by MattB; 05-14-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 PM

They all come from China, probably the same sweat shop.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 AM

When you buy repros you get repros, you get poor quality, you get what you pay for. Actually you probably paid too much anyway if the current prices for them are all as high as I've seen lately. They are probably all made by the same company in China. If you put repro mounts on an M1D you also won't be happy you did that eventually. They will cause you more grief than black spots in your scope.

L
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
When you buy repros you get repros, you get poor quality, you get what you pay for.
I paid about the price of a Leupold FX-III, so I most certainly did not get what I paid for.

I bought an original NIW mount, NIW cheek pad, and will get an original flash hider when I find one. But I plan to shoot this rifle a lot, and wanted good bright clear optics. There is no reason why a modern scope shouldn't be vastly superior to a 60 year old original, repro or not, and for the price I expected it to be decent. Aside from the black spots, the optics in this thing are at best equivalent to a $19 Red Star.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM

Exclamation

It's unfortunate. But you may have to spend the big bucks for a real one and then have one of the people who work on them rebuild it or refinish the inside. I have a USGI that has perfect optics that haven't changed with over 200 rounds so far shot through the rifle. If you get a good USGI one the chances of getting a good one are actually quite good but, there are people out there that specialize in working on them if you don't.

I also understand another problem with the repro M84's is a limited ability to get sufficient range with the turrets since they are not adjustable like the originals to allow you to get almost unlimited adjustment simply by loosening a span nut and repositioning the turrets for greater range of movement. Once you run out on a repro, you run out. With the need to make substantial adjustments as you move out in range that can become a serious issue.

I assume it's going back to Midway? I actually am surprised at the poor quality of the scope you bought. I thought the Midway M84's were Leatherwood scopes? Maybe you were just unlucky enough to get a defective scope. I think they have a decent warranty on them.

Larry

Last edited by lapriester; 05-14-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I'm surprised, too. It's going back today and I'll look for an original.

Looking back at the Midway page, there is a Numrich logo so apparently it's the same one Numrich sells. It came in a plain white box wrapped in white paper and Chinese-looking cardboard. No manufacturer identification, no paperwork, nothing but a scope in a box. Also nothing about a warranty.

The turrets at least appear to adjust like the originals, but I haven't tried them out. The turret covers feel flimsy.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 PM

Not all repos are bad, I've put well over 1500 rounds down range with mine from numrich without a problem. On the other hand I had a original m84 and with in the first 50 rounds I had rust&black flakes all over the lenses. So can't always judge a book by its cover.

But that's just my luck.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids4041 View Post
Not all repos are bad, I've put well over 1500 rounds down range with mine from numrich without a problem. On the other hand I had a original m84 and with in the first 50 rounds I had rust&black flakes all over the lenses. So can't always judge a book by its cover.

But that's just my luck.
Can I ask how long ago you bought it? Was the wrapping the same as I described? Just wondering if it's the same one.