Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
heckinohio heckinohio is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 1,383
Default .308 ammo pain......

I foolishly thought all .308 was non-corrosive......not so. Had I ever seen a comment along these lines, I wouldnt be seeing the effects of it around the gas fitting portion of my only new .308 barrel. Didnt seem to bother the bore, but I had probably swabbed it with Hoppe 9.....not really corrosive neutralizer but apparently better than nothing as the bore is still chrome bright!!! I just didnt take the gas cyl off to clean there back then.

Irritates me every time I clean it.......I killed a turtle for Donna yesterday & had to clean it agin last nite. I dumped all the foreign .308 I had into the same cans. Now I dont know which is corrosive other than everything with black primers.

Warning to .308 surplus users.....dont do as I did and assume it is non-cxorrosive no matter what the importer may have told you!!! PJH
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Perplexed Perplexed is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,755
Default

What foreign makes of .308 do you have? What head stamps seem to be causing the corrosion?
__________________
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM
moose moose is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 922
Default

What stuff have you been buying?

The only corrosive US stuff is 1956 FA "International Match"

All other NATO 7.62 can be considered non corrosive..

Unless it's NATO, Austrailian, Privi, or recognized decent commerical ammo.... I don't touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
I foolishly thought all .308 was non-corrosive......not so. Had I ever seen a comment along these lines, I wouldnt be seeing the effects of it around the gas fitting portion of my only new .308 barrel. Didnt seem to bother the bore, but I had probably swabbed it with Hoppe 9.....not really corrosive neutralizer but apparently better than nothing as the bore is still chrome bright!!! I just didnt take the gas cyl off to clean there back then.

Irritates me every time I clean it.......I killed a turtle for Donna yesterday & had to clean it agin last nite. I dumped all the foreign .308 I had into the same cans. Now I dont know which is corrosive other than everything with black primers.

Warning to .308 surplus users.....dont do as I did and assume it is non-cxorrosive no matter what the importer may have told you!!! PJH
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Headspace Headspace is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hudson, Ma.
Posts: 219
Default

The only 308 that I know of that is corrosive was the green box Sellier & Bellot. My LGS was selling it super cheep a year or so ago. I still passed on it. Sorry can't recall what the headstamp was.

David H.

Last edited by Headspace; 05-17-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is online now
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 1,477
Default

What type of rifle and barrel? If I understand it correctly, I think chrome bores were rolled out partly to assist in reducing problems with corrosive ammo? Sure, other parts will still be affected but they can be both easily cleaned as replaced. No excuse to ignore cleaning of course, but it helped the longevity in service under adverse conditions.
I regularly shoot corrosive in many of my rifles, but if I plan to shoot and not do a 100% cleaning within a day or so then I make sure it's not corrosive.
I will not assume any caliber (milsurp related) is immune from being corrosive. I have heard for example that 6.5x55 Swede was never made with corrosive primers; recently I have heard of some (I heard it on a forum so it must be true).
Just clean her up (with corrosive procedures of course), apologize and repent.
JH
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
A-7-2 A-7-2 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 209
Default

Some of the corrosive 7.62 Nato ball ammo for sale in the U.S. in the past 10 years.

Bulgarian steel case head stamp 10 and the date at 6 o'clock.
Czech brass case marked 308W
Chicom steel case with fake British head stamps, head stamp RG 60 L2A2
Syrian brass case with Arabic markings.
Taiwan brass case headstamp 7.62 and at 6 o'clock 82
Indian brass case head stamp KF 74 7,62A
Yugo brass case 7,62mm orange primer sealer

Nothing neutralizes the salt from the primer. Water based bore cleaner, or hot soapy water. Just look at the cleaning procedure from WW-2 U.S. Army manuals. Rember to clean for at lest three days after firing. Also dish washing detergent, and soap are 2 very differant cleaning products.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:35 AM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is online now
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 1,477
Default

Thanks for that list, I'm saving it.....
JH
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 PM
raymeketa raymeketa is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: AZ Mountains
Posts: 2,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
. . . The only corrosive US stuff is 1956 FA "International Match". . . All other NATO 7.62 can be considered non corrosive..
Not all of the FA 56 Int'l Match is corrosive. Those with a flat brass primer are non-corrosive. Some of the AMU Match is corrosive. The cartons are clearly marked. Doubly bad because the primers are also mercuric.

Some Cal .30 (30-06) with late dates is also corrosive.

Corrosive primers were considered to be more accurate so you'll only find them on "Match" cartridges.

Last edited by raymeketa; 05-17-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
moose moose is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-7-2 View Post
Some of the corrosive 7.62 Nato ball ammo for sale in the U.S. in the past 10 years.

Bulgarian steel case head stamp 10 and the date at 6 o'clock.
Czech brass case marked 308W
Chicom steel case with fake British head stamps, head stamp RG 60 L2A2
Syrian brass case with Arabic markings.
Taiwan brass case headstamp 7.62 and at 6 o'clock 82
Indian brass case head stamp KF 74 7,62A
Yugo brass case 7,62mm orange primer sealer

Exactly the crap I avoid like the plague, While this stuff may use the 7.62 Nato cartridge, it's not Nato aproved... except maybe the Taiwan stuff, you would think a US ally would be making better stuff in 1982!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-17-2012, 01:15 PM
A-7-2 A-7-2 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 209
Default

The Taiwan 7.62 Nato ammo was manufactured in 1991, but their calander date is 82.
It doesn't make much differance when it was made, just thats stuff is corrosive, and boxer primed. However the primer diameter is larger than standard U.S. large rifle primers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.