Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Default Digital scale for bullet weighing ?

Now into cast rifle bullets and was thinking there might be a digital scale good enough to weigh cast bullets and not cost a lot of money.
I already have a 1010 RCBS balance and a RCBS Chargepro digital powder measure. I got accurate powder weight nailed.

I just need a digital to weigh bullets and it just needs to get it right but I don't need a scale that is off by 1 grain or turns itself off every 3 minutes.

So is there a Good Enuff low end digital to just weigh cast bullets? For my use, a scale that says 170.5 grains when the bullet is 170.7 on the balance scale is perfectly okay. I cull my bullets by weight categories: 169,170, 171. not needing any better results.

If the fact is (and my gut says it is), the cheaper end digitals are a waste of time and effort to pursue for this purpose, then your confirming this is very helpful.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM

The cheap ones are catch as catch can. Some work well, but a copy may not. Like all electronics, the trend is better and cheaper over time, though.

Brian Enos sells a couple of scales. His less expensive one ($75) has an unbelievable 20 year warranty (his more expensive one has a lifetime warranty). I talked to him about the inexpensive one and he told me neither he nor the outfit he buys it from have had a single return. He says it's not a native gram scale with conversion to grains as it does not skip digits in the tenths, as some of the cheaper ones do. It does have a battery saver shutdown feature, but it is programmable, so you can defeat it. This is about the least expensive scale I would buy for your purpose. There is a cheaper version of the same scale available online, but it has half the maximum weight capacity so I assume it's a different load cell, and I know nothing about that versions quality, so I would buy Enos's version.

Question: Won't the RCBS dispenser let you use it's pan as a scale? If not, that seems like a lost feature opportunity.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member

Last edited by Unclenick; 05-29-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM

I wiegh my projectile on the same RCBS Chargemaster that I dispense powder. Works great.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:05 PM

I have been weighing on the Chargemaster but doing hundreds of bullets , it dawned on me that I don't want to stress the unit as I depend on it for powder charges. Thus, I thought I would put the "On" time on another scale.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:05 PM

Enos's scales with their long warranties are probably a good bet then for absorbing wear and tear. The more expensive one has a wall adapter and will go up to 3,000 grains. That'll let you weigh bullets plus groups of bullets and charges to get better averages. The only thing I'll tell you about plug-in scales is that they can be sensitive to line noise, so be prepared to put an old computer UPS (battery doesn't have to be good) between it and the wall. Either should be kept clear of fluorescent lamps or computers because of interference.

If you want higher precision, you can get a lab scale that will resolve 0.001 grams (0.0154 grains). Sinclair has one, and if you are willing to spend that kind of money or more, there are fancier lab versions out there with self-calibration, Faraday shielding and other features. Pricey, though.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

Might want to think about:

OHaus YJ103 and My Weigh GemPro 250

I'll have a report about the GemPro 250 soon. I recently had a Jennings Mack 20 and am now in the process of returning it.

I really wanted to try an OHaus (good name brand) but I didn't get the specs on it before I ordered the GemPro.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM

So the answer is: for weighing of bullets which could vary by a few tenths of grains for my purposes , the bottom line is a cheap digital scale is not gong to haul the water .

I had a hunch this would be the way things would turn out but its nice to get confirmation. At least, I did not blindly buy a cheap scale, and suffer it turning off all the time and giving me scattered weight feed back !
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 AM

I have had about five digital scales and all were within a tenth, function perfectly well and have done so for years. None were the $20-30 variety, however. A good visual inspection of cast bullets is worth more than a weight check and a .2-.3 gr variation is quite acceptable, IMO. I'm not sure I would bother with the weight check for most shooting. You might want to run an accuracy comparison bwtween uniform weight bullets against those pulled for variation to see if, in fact, minor variations really affect groups. Cast bullets require quite a bit of effort, but the accuracy and savings are there if you are willing to do your part. Good Shooting......

Last edited by ceresco; 06-01-2012 at 10:15 AM.