Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 AM

Default Mossberg 144 U.S.

I just purchased a 144 U.S. stamped rifle and wondering if someone could shed some light on these guns. I seen on the internet that they were used as military trainers as well as the JROTC. They were produced 19449-1960. That is about the only info I seen.

Does anyone know how many U.S. versions were produced and what year mine was manufactured (SN# 187x)? Also mine has 2 stickers on the buttstock, one being a DCM sticker on the left side. It does have the rear Redfield 75 sight and front globe sight.

Any other info would also be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 AM

feeling lazy today - here's a link to buckets of info: http://home.epix.net/~damguy/
Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 AM

You might want to read/participate in this survey on Rimfire Central.

I remain, as ever, a legend in my own mind . . .

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 PM

The 144 was Mossberg's last effort in the entry-level target rifle market. Actually the plain 144 was an update of the 44US commercial rifles but a bit more "sporty". Mossberg then "ramped" the rifle up into the 144LS and 144LSB rifles, which are full out target rifles. All of the 144 models represent the high water mark for Mossberg .22 bolt rifles (MHO). The 144 and 144LS had a barrel of slightly smaller diameter than the receiver showing a small step. The 144 LSB had a barrel the same diameter as the receiver with no step. The 144LSBs are still coveted by collectors and shooters bringing $300 to $600 depending on condition. As interest continues to grow in competitive shooting these "junior" target rifles will continue to appreciate. Burn extra incence in thanks for the Redfield sights.
A 144LS/LSB in good condition will give the Remington 513 and Winchester 75 a lot of heat at the firing line.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Last edited by presidentg; 06-28-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentg View Post
A 144LS/LSB in good condition will give the Remington 513 and Winchester 75 a lot of heat at the firing line.
I've been shooting the commercial version, the LS, in the the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. It fits the weight resrictions of the "Light Rifle" catagory and is accurate enough to allow me to shoot expert scores in the 3P program with no problem. Cheryl and Vic Havlin at Havlin Sales & Service could answer a lot of questions about these rifles and have replacement parts if needed.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.