Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Default Accurate 2700 and the Garand

I am a relatively new M1 shooter and reload exclusively for the rifle. I am using IMR4895 (of course!) but have come into a big jug of 2700 and nothing to really use it for. I have searched but have not found any published data for AA2700, for the Garand specifically, but plenty of internet discussion of how AA2700 is a great powder for the M1, and even started out as repackaged WC852, which was loaded by the tons into M2 ball. I am using the 150gr FMJBT from Hornady as my projectile as it is very affordable and by all account it suits the 300yd max shooting I'm doing.

Can anyone give me some help on suitability of this powder? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM

I used 51.5 grains under a 168 Amax with WLR's and Federal Brass. The older Accurate loading data was 48.6-54 grains and they specifically said it was safe for M1 Garand loads. These loads matched the POI of a 47 grain load of Accurate 2495 and the same other components.

I get nervous when the powder charge gets over 50 grains in the M1 as I believe in the theory of the higher powder volume is related to higher gas volume and thus pressures higher than the M1 was designed to operate without undue stress. For some reason this powder bucks the trend and operates at safe pressures at with higher loadings. You have probably seen this thread:

http://www.jouster.com/forums/archiv...p?t-15895.html

One row in the ESTIMATED Quickload data has a hefty load of AA2700 and safe port pressure. But as the article says there is little to be gained by straying from IMR 4895 in the M1. Although for accuracy IMR 4064 is hard to beat.

Wineman
Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Interesting question I only use AA2520 in my M1 or M1a as it was designed around those platforms.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin F View Post
I am using the 150gr FMJBT from Hornady as my projectile as it is very affordable and by all account it suits the 300yd max shooting I'm doing.
I don't know what your accuracy standards are, but lots of easily-available and economical bullets shoot better than the 150 FMJBT. Read some of the threads here for suggestions.

I'm shooting up some FMJBT handloads I made a while ago. I used these handloads to perform initial sight-in on an 03-A3 (two-groove barrel) I recently acquired. After I completed sighting-in, I switched to 168 BTHP handloads with the same 4064 powder I used with the 150s (lighter charge). 100-yard groups shrank from around three inches to well under two.

If you are shooting no farther than 300 yards, you could explore some of the 110s and 125s several people recommend here.

Selection of a good-quality bullet is the one thing you have control over that has the largest effect on accuracy.
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 06-30-2012, 03:57 PM

I shot some Speer TNT 125's today in a CMP match over 49 grains of Accurate 2495 and CCI 200's in LC69 brass. They shot well and I took high gas with a 264-2x and no recoil issues. I have started to get away from Ball powders as I have found the stick powders in the same burn range to give ME better results.

Wineman
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Default 2700

I went to the source - Ramshot - and was emailed the following Hi Kevin,

Accurate 2700 will work great in your 30-06. We didnít test port pressures with the 150 grain, but with the 168 grain they were running about 8350 PSI, so I estimate the 150 max load around 9000-9200 PSI. From our fastest to slowest burning powder, there were only about 2000 PSI difference in port pressures. The adjustable gas plugs do work if you are concerned about beating up your Garand.

Now I AM concerned about beating up my Garand and that was the point. Scott's last sentence is a little worrisome. but port pressures would indicate a adj plug isn't necessary. AA2700 can easily push the 150gr bullet to 2700fps, so I may try to use this powder when my jug of 4895 is gone.

It seems that I got some bad intel on the Hornady 150FMJ's, and that I should look at match bullets. I have some 155's I'll try.