Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 AM

Default WTN: Recent M1D Purchases

Anyone purchase an M1D recently? What was the overall condition? Any thoughts? Buy form CMP or find one on the boards?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you just want a scoped M1 for a shooter or are you looking for a collector's piece? How important is originality to you? There are some nice M1Ds at the CMP right now, but the vast majority (of the ones in the South Store at least) are Greek refinished in 3/8" or 1/2" DAS stocks w/ Greek rack numbers in the butt. There are some rifles with original finish and SA RA stocks to be had, but you are far more likely to get a rifle that shows obvious Greek service. For this reason I HIGHLY recommend going to one of the CMP stores, or getting someone to go for you to pick up (why not get the most collectible rifle possible for your money?) I haven't seen a SG M1D that didn't have an excellent bore.

M1Ds were conversions that were done on existing rifles, so CMP/DCM paperwork or similar provenance is considered the only way to verify that a M1D is authentic. Do not shell out big bucks for a M1D w/o papers.

Good luck

Here's the one I picked up at the South Store in June.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 AM

Default M1d

I live a couple hours from the North Store. Any history as to what they might have up there?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 AM

I bout a SG and got a 3.3 mil that looks great from the crappy pictures my Dad sent me, I'll get a good look at it mid August but it looks like USGI wood. I need the accessories now.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Default M1d

This is what I have: M1D, Springfield receiver serial number 781,XXX range, marked with "SA-52" just below the sight mount on the receiver, 6-52 MRT cheek pad, M37 flash hider, SA-5-52 plus XXX555 s/n on the barrel, M84 scope with riveted scope mount, CMP papers, looks to be in unfired condition th ebore is perfect and the breach has no wear marks on it what so ever. I am keeping it as a collector not a shooter.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 PM

Default M1d

What days does the North Store put our M1D's? Anyone?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM

They fill any holes in the racks towards the close of business.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Default Going to South Store for an M1D on Friday

Well, I have saved up the $1500 for a Service Grade M1D, and will be visiting the South Store on Friday, July 20th.

I'll let you know what I find, but I concur with RobCarter3, if you want a non-Greek finish M1D from CMP, you'll likely need to visit one of the two stores...

After speaking with both stores, my understanding is that both the North and South Stores keep 24 M1Ds on the racks (not sure if this is SG only, or both SG and FG rifles). Of these, about 20+ or so have the Greek black finish, and perhaps 2 to 4 M1Ds have the parkerized finish. That's all I know at this point. (I think the stores are stocked on Monday & Tuesday when they are closed, so getting there on Wednesdays is probably the best day, at least that's my theory).

My goal is to find one similar to the M1D in this thread: USGI Parkerized finish, good barrel (TE and MW 2 or less), and decent GI wood, perferrably an SA open box stock if I get lucky...

I hope Leon can help me find this type of rifle, as I can only afford to purchase one M1D for my small collection, and I'm already spending $300 to fly into Atlanta and then drive down to Anniston from there...wish me luck. Stay tuned.