Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Default Navy M1 Garand

I have a chance to purchase a Navy M1 Garand in 7.62 NATO cal. I haven't seen the rifle yet, but I want to have an idea of value in advance so I don't overpay. Unless it is in very good condition +, I wouldn't purchase it anyway so assuming very good to excellent condition, is there a premium attached to the value of this rifle because it is a Navy 7.62 NATO? Or would the value of it be comparable to that of the average SA Garand in the same condition? Any information, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Default Navy M1 Garand

Giving a value to a broad spectrum of rifles that fall into that category is somewhat impossible without pictures ,details and condition.
Respectfully submitted
Ed Byrns
Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately I won't be able to see it or take pictures of it for about three weeks.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 PM

See if you can get more info from the seller. There are a bunch of "Navy" Garands out there that are nothing more than re-barreled rifles that people try to sell as Navy. It could be a sleeved barrel or it could be a 7.62 barrel. If it is a legitimate Navy 7.62 conversion it should be clearly marked behind op rod as 7.62 and either H&R or AMF. It could also be a match rifle too and in that case it should have documentation.

There are tons of variables here.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:53 PM

Every old ship I was on had Garands in the ships armory and there were tons on them at the shore stations. As far as I know they were procured thru the Army and there was nothing special about them. No anchors or stuff like that.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM

See Scott Duff's page on the Navy Garands. There is a rarity to these rifles especially the AMF barreled 7.62mm ones.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gun-drill View Post
See if you can get more info from the seller. There are a bunch of "Navy" Garands out there that are nothing more than re-barreled rifles that people try to sell as Navy. It could be a sleeved barrel or it could be a 7.62 barrel. If it is a legitimate Navy 7.62 conversion it should be clearly marked behind op rod as 7.62 and either H&R or AMF. It could also be a match rifle too and in that case it should have documentation.

There are tons of variables here.

There were a few award rifles that were awarded with a second barrel, a new in the tube 7.62mm barrel so if the awardee wanted too change out their barrel the rifle wouldn't be marked AMF or H@R.

The Navy Team didn't mark there 7.62mm conversions either, having said that paperwork is everything if there is no paperwork you can contact, Cmdr. Jim Adell USN ret. as he has all the ser numbers or most of them from NSWC Crane In.

Last edited by Phil McGrath; 07-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
There were a few award rifles that were awarded with a second barrel, a new in the tube 7.62mm barrel so if the awardee wanted too change out their barrel the rifle wouldn't be marked AMF or H@R.

The Navy Team didn't mark there 7.62mm conversions either, having said that paperwork is everything if there is no paperwork you can contact, Cmdr. Jim Adell USN ret. as he has all the ser numbers or most of them from NSWC Crane In.
I have never seen the extra barrels but I have only been in the Navy 8 years so I dont have the experience a lot of other Navy guys do. If they say they got extra barrels I am sure they did. The Crane support guys are great about supporting Navy shooters; just make sure you bring them a case of beer.

You are correct about the markings. I think most Navy Garands that were converted either H&R or AMF were marked so but were standard issue. However, guns that were made as team rifles (A or B) were probably not marked as because they were converted in house. My "B" that I was awarded last year is not marked.

Jim Adell is definitely the guy to talk to about Navy Garands.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 PM

There were a lot of barrels that were left over from the Navy match rifles that did not meet the specifications and they went on the market. There was a guy that had purchased fake that had one of these barrel in it on the GunBroker forum. You need to have someone who knows these rifles to look at it before you pay the bucks for it.

Emmett
Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 AM

How were the USN SAMCU San Diego conversions marked? I think they used especially made barrels from SA, not H&R or AMF. I'm referring to Bart Bobbitt's article on Navy Conversions. I also don't think there is any documentation on these rifles to prove what they are.