Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Default Somebody got plans?

It looks to me like they wouldn't be to hard to make if you could find a scaled drawing. Just some jigsaw and file work. Does anyone know if parashooter or anyone else has plans?

Cecil
Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 PM

retracted

Last edited by FiftyCalAl; 09-28-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 AM

Here is a neat video showing a Krag speedloader in action along with a nice demo of the rifle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyrt5djcfRg
Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 AM

Pretty nifty. Maybe somebody has a Norwegian relative who can pick one up. Why make them if you can buy them?

Last edited by S99VG; 09-30-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
Pretty nifty. Maybe somebody has a Norwegian relative who can pick one up. Why make them is you can buy them?
Yea,they's be real handy if your Krag is a rimless 6.5x55 one instead of a rimmed .30-40.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Gee, thanks for pointing that out
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 PM

As was pointed out, the .30-40 has a rim and the 6.5 doesn't. The charger in the YouTube clip looks like an upside down sheet metal box magazine with a plunger and an adaptor to fit the Norwegian loading gate. The .303 Brit is similar to the .30-40. Thinking about off the shelf items to work with, maybe you could modify a box mag from a SMLE. It would have to be reduced in size to 5-rounds and mated to the gate of a U.S. Krag. One of the big reason rimless rounds were developed was because rimmed rounds do not work as well in box magazines. Just a thought.

Last edited by S99VG; 09-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM

I didn't realize the Krag in the video was not the same as a .30-40 Krag either. Thank you for the information. It sure helps us new guys out.

Earlier this year I purchased a .30-40 Krag from the CMP and really have enjoyed learning about it. I still have more to learn. Soon after the purchase I did some web surfing and came across the speed loader video. I thought it was pretty kool so I surfed some more and discovered a Krag speed loader on ebay which looked very similar to the one in the video. I took the plunge and bought it. The seller was a carpenter and he had purchased it from an elderly woman who he had worked for previously. Her husband had passed away and she thought the carpenter might want some of her husband's tools. Along with the box of tools there were bayonets, other odds & ends and this speed loader. At first he didn't know what it was and discovered the same youtube video. The carpenter also said this elderly couple was originally from Norway.

The speed loader I have works great with the .30-40 Krag ammunition that I use, Bitterroot Valley 165gr and Tactical Ammunition St. Hellens, OR 180gr sp. It throws the cartridges right in. When loading the speed loader you do have to alternate the base rims of the cartridges for a smooth ejection and then have the correct angle of the speed loader to the rifles magazine. Fun stuff.

Here's some photos of the loader. The case is stamped ANDERSEN & BRAATHEN KONGSBERG PAT No 42331

Hope you enjoy them!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Very cool
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubya87 View Post
Ah...anyone know where plans are? I know there's a guy in Nebraska that has two of them. He had posted them on ar15.com. But the thread is a few years old and he doesn't post anymore. I think I have a few of the swiss chargers, but I'm not sure where'd I'd even start with those. I'd love to buy a bunch of them if I couldn't make them.
Hello! I'm the guy who posted about the Krag Stripper Clips from Nebraska. Fred is my name. I tried to see if anyone was interested in seeing or studying them but could get no responses then. Yes, I still have the two that I bought years ago and they are both Very well made. The design allows them to be used in any U.S. Krag without any modifications to the magazine. Something that the Parkhurst Clip didn't. I no longer have a Krag though and so the two magazines aren't used. The Brass clip is the same one that was used in the short demonstration video that the maker used. It has a Teakwood top on it held in place by brass pins. I was told by the maker, (Eric?), that the Copper clip was the best of the Copper ones that he made. The same goes for the Brass clip I bought. Each cost me about $55.00 . I bought them because I knew that there wouldn't be any more made, so I wanted to have them as examples to copy if I or anyone was ever interested in making more for personal use. I can put some pictures of them on here if anyone is interested in seeing them. Fred G.