Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 02:37 PM

Default Garand Gear Ported Gas Screw

I'm new to M-1 . would like to use it this year for deer hunting. Will the garand gear ported gas screw allow me to shoot commercial hunting loads (150gr) without damaging my op rod? Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Maybe. I have an opinion about universal fixes that are supposed to allow you to shoot anything. It's in wide use but I have concerns about long term negative effects so I just properly adjust my Shuster and don't worry (I rarely shoot commercial anyway because i reload). Buying an adjustable gas plug takes all the guesswork out of it. BTW, it's not a "ported" gas plug. It doesn't port off any gasses. The product has wide use here but just not by me.

Larry
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbound View Post
I'm new to M-1 . would like to use it this year for deer hunting. Will the garand gear ported gas screw allow me to shoot commercial hunting loads (150gr) without damaging my op rod? Any thoughts or experiences?
I'm certainly biased when it comes to this topic. Hopefully others that have actually used the plug will chime in and provide you with their experience.

If you haven't seen the testing we've done on the plug please do so. I think It'll address your question. [Commercial Ammunition]

In every case that we've tested, the ported plug lowered peak pressures to levels below that of M2 ball. It also lowered the total impulse (ie. bolt speed) to levels that are equal to or less then that of M2 ball ammunition.

Of the hunting bullets the Sellier & Bellot SPCE 150gr was the most gentle on the rifle. I personally wouldn't have any concern shooting that cartridge in a M1 Garand even with a USGI gas screw installed.

For ranges of 150 yards and less the FUSION LITE 170gr is a very mild cartridge considerably weaker then M2 ball.

Eric
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 AM

I have a McCann adjustable gas plug, which I bought before the Garand Gear one was available. IMO, some sort of modified gas plug is a wise investment if you want to shoot commercial ammo in your M1. The M1 is a very strong rifle, and it may or may not be damaged by commercial ammo if you shoot it with a USGI plug. However, adjustable plugs are relatively cheap and anyone can install one in minutes. I see it as cheap insurance.

Ericc has done thorough testing of his product with many varieties of commercial ammo. I would be comfortable using his tested loads with the Garand Gear plug.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM

Default m-1 for deer hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericc View Post
I'm certainly biased when it comes to this topic. Hopefully others that have actually used the plug will chime in and provide you with their experience.

If you haven't seen the testing we've done on the plug please do so. I think It'll address your question. [Commercial Ammunition]

In every case that we've tested, the ported plug lowered peak pressures to levels below that of M2 ball. It also lowered the total impulse (ie. bolt speed) to levels that are equal to or less then that of M2 ball ammunition.

Of the hunting bullets the Sellier & Bellot SPCE 150gr was the most gentle on the rifle. I personally wouldn't have any concern shooting that cartridge in a M1 Garand even with a USGI gas screw installed.

For ranges of 150 yards and less the FUSION LITE 170gr is a very mild cartridge considerably weaker then M2 ball.

Eric
Thanks Ericc. used the ported plug in my M-1 for deer hunting this year. Shot Remington core loc 150 grain. worked perfectly. And Successfully too. I took an average 8 pointer at 20 yards. Thanks again.