Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ChrsGuit
Default Winchester Model 12 Trench Gun Bayonet

Just curious which bayonet was meant to fit Model97/12 Trench shotguns?
Here is what I'm working with...

Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM

The bayonet for the M1917 Rifle (aka 17 Enfield) is what was used. Nice Model 12. Is it US marked?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Ok, awesome. I had heard that the 1917 fit, but also another enfield variant would work.

It does have the U.S markings and bomb stamps... Mine is a 1924, and has some pre-war and wartime stampings, so it appears it was in military service from the start. Some parts are not original, like the heat shield and stock, but at least the shotgun itself is a true U.S. I'm not sure on the barrel, but it hasn't been cut or crowned, so it is at least a legit Trench barrel. I purchased mine from a guy who "restores" trench shotguns... He buys an inventory of correct parts and then purchases 1897's, model 12's, and Ithacas that were bought surplus and converted to bird hunting/trap shooting... then puts them back as they were supposed to be. It was a killer deal (I think) for $450. I replaced the extractor and had to stain the stock to match the pump, but other than that it is a solid shooter
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM

You're right the P14 Enfield will work as it is basically the same as the M1917 Rifle.

IIRC the barrel on the trench gun should stick out past the end of the handguard/heat shield, should be 20" in length and "CYL" bore marked on the left side of the barrel and an Ordnance bomb on top of barrel where it meets the receiver.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM

Thumbs up

Looks like everything is correct. 20" barrel (19 1/2 if you close the breach and stick a tape down the barrel... which to my knowledge is how you size a barrel, then round up to the nearest inch). Left side of the barrel has
"Winchester
-Trade Mark-
Model 12- 12GA-2 3/4 Cham
CYL"
(There is more writing forward of the Logo, but it is covered by the heat shield.I assume this to be patent information)
Top of the barrel has an ordinance bomb stamp and a P on top of a W in a circle. These same marks are on top of the reciever about an inch and a half behind the barrel marks. The barrel sticks out from the heat shield in the front about 1/16'th of an inch, and there is exactly 5 inches from the back of the heat shield to the receiver. The heat shield has 6 rows of holes. The Bluing on the heat shield is a similar patina as the rest of the gun, but not nearly as much bluing wear.

There is a U S and an ordinance bomb Forward of the Ejection port. I have seen some WW2 models that have a larger U.S (bomb) below the ejection port. There are two faint ordinance bombs on the bottom of the barrel and reciever near the serial numbers (one on the barrel, the other on the reciever. The numbers do not match on barrel and reciever. The reciever number is a 362,xxx serial, and the barrel is a 392,xxx serial

Last edited by ChrsGuit; 10-03-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:39 PM

Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM

$450? That is a good deal. Got his contact info?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Let me see if I can get it for you. I have a good friend who is an FFL dealer, and who I buy all my ww2 guns through, and the guy who builds the trench guns is a mutual friends. Last time I checked, he was building a house and had sold most of his guns (one reason I got mine so cheap... it was a project he started and hadn't finished). He had some other guns that were a bit more expensive. I believe he had a vietnam era Ithaca for about $650, and maybe one more. I know he had some high-end vintage pieces he put on Gunbroker and they sold within 3 hours of posting them. I will try to check and see if he has any up for sale and let you know
Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM

check around and you may find a winchester marked bayonet,for it.
they are marked with a W in a circle and year on one side, and ordinance bomb, US, and inspectors stamp on the other. wood will have 2 grooves on each side.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:25 PM

These trench guns are awesome.

BE PREPARED, the M1917 bayonets are loonnngg lol.

Tags
bayonet, trench gun, winchester