Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 PM

Question Numrich Arms 1903/A3 22 Cal Barrel Insert tool

I've seen some random inquiry's about the Numrich Arms Co. 1903/A3 .22 Cal. Conversion Kits. Some posted on this CMP Forum as well as other forums. See the attached links.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=87187

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=87592

The 1st link describes a my post about a complete original kit that I own (Rob257).

It's my opinion that many folks/guys have bits and pieces of the orginal kits..but not all of the parts...The .22 Cal barrel insert is the "most commanly found part". (IMHO)... Next perhaps is the triggerguard but seldom recoqnized for what it is intended for; therefore dismissed as being a "bit odd"..but unknown!.. M2 bolts are available but expensive. Substitute clips can be found but ya gotta know what your looking for.

If you have the barrel insert..an M2 bolt and the barrel insert tool you can easily convert any 1903/A3/A4 into a single shot .22 quick and easy and then re-convert it back to orginal.

The hardest part (IMHO) to find for the Numrich Conversion Kit to find is the 'Barrel Insert Tool'.

Since I have a complete kit I've contemplated having a few 'Barrel Insert Tool' copies made using my tool as a template.

Since there were only about 1500 of these kits made I doubt SERIOUSLY that maybe only about five folks would want the tool.

I have yet to contact my local tool & die maker for a price..that being said..I won't contact him to make up any of the tools unless thier are enough folks to make it worth the effort.

I'm not gonna loan my tool out for someone else to copy. If it gets lost I'm screwed!!.. $15.00 above cost seems fair to me for my effort and bother. Since I don't know "cost" yet I can't give you a final price.

If your interested post on this thread so I can get some idea before I contact my tool & die maker and I can give him an idea of the count.

Keep in mind I already have my complete kit so I really don't have to bother with this. Just trying to maybe help some other folks out.

Rob257

Last edited by Rob257; 10-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Are you able to post some pictures of your complete kit so I know what to be on the lookout for?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Default TW,s picture ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW56 View Post
Are you able to post some pictures of your complete kit so I know what to be on the lookout for?
TW56 - I can take the pictures. I'll send them to a volunteer to post them on the forum thread. I'll need the "volunteer's" email address.

Won't be able to get to that until next week.

Rob
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Rob257, you can send them to me via an e-mail through CMP. Just click on my user ID and you should get an option to send an e-mail.

I'll post them in the thread after getting them.

TW56

Last edited by TW56; 10-17-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM

I would love to have a picture as well via email thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Default TW56 is the "Volunteer of Record"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW56 View Post
Rob257, you can send them to me via an e-mail through CMP. Just click on my user ID and you should get an option to send an e-mail.

I'll post them in the thread after getting them.

TW56
TW - Sometime next week I'll take the Pics of the complete package & send them to you. Muzzleloading Deer season & crop harvest has me busy for at least 7 to 10 days.

Rob
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM

I recently sold a Numrich conversion kit that was in a 1903 rifle. I had an extra Numrich kit but no tool came with either one. By looking at the barrel insert that was not in a rifle I could tell how it had to come out. While looking through my tool box and garage for some way I could adapt something to do the job I noticed a sheet metal shelf support that snaps into the slotted brackets that fasten to the wall. It appeared to be about the right thickness to fit in the slot in the loading ramp on the back of the barrel insert. I tried it and it was a perfect fit. I was able to put the end of the shelf bracket in the slot and carefully turned it 90 degrees. I then took a brass punch and lightly tapped the insert from the muzzle end. The insert started to back out and I was able to use the brass punch to push it far enough to get hold of the rear and remove it. A problem that had me completely stumped was easily solved. The end of the support that attaches to the wall bracket is too wide to fit in the bolt raceway from the rear. I gave the "improvised" tool to the man who bought the kit. If I get another to go with the kit I have I will grind down the wide end of the shelf support so that it will go through the bridge from the back. I would not apply much torque to inserting or removing the barrel insert but this did and will work.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Smile Herschal - Innovation - An American Trademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I recently sold a Numrich conversion kit that was in a 1903 rifle. I had an extra Numrich kit but no tool came with either one. By looking at the barrel insert that was not in a rifle I could tell how it had to come out. While looking through my tool box and garage for some way I could adapt something to do the job I noticed a sheet metal shelf support that snaps into the slotted brackets that fasten to the wall. It appeared to be about the right thickness to fit in the slot in the loading ramp on the back of the barrel insert. I tried it and it was a perfect fit. I was able to put the end of the shelf bracket in the slot and carefully turned it 90 degrees. I then took a brass punch and lightly tapped the insert from the muzzle end. The insert started to back out and I was able to use the brass punch to push it far enough to get hold of the rear and remove it. A problem that had me completely stumped was easily solved. The end of the support that attaches to the wall bracket is too wide to fit in the bolt raceway from the rear. I gave the "improvised" tool to the man who bought the kit. If I get another to go with the kit I have I will grind down the wide end of the shelf support so that it will go through the bridge from the back. I would not apply much torque to inserting or removing the barrel insert but this did and will work.
While I can see how your ingenuity worked on the barrel insert "unlock" process. I supect it to be much more difficult when installing the barrel insert into the "locked position".

Based in your discription you are using the the slot in the cartridge feed ramp to torgue the barrel into the unlocked position. If so..you are very fortunate that the insert was not tighter in the receiver than it apparently was. The barrel insert cams out of the receiver as you unlock it. The direct opposite ocurrs when you insert the barrel insert upon installation. The camming process is no different than using a standard 03/03A3 rifle bolt.

That being said..the feed ramp on the barrel insert (using the slot you described) will be bent to the left or right as you torgue either in or out. Most likely on install.

If the feed ramp on the barrel insert gets bent your screwed! You now have a single shot. Thats precisely why the original installation tool is designed as it is.

Now moving on..if one has the original tool for the barrel insert the easiest way to remove the unlocked barrel insert from the host barrel is to run a .22 Cal. unpatched cleaning rod into the breech end of barrel insert and out the muzzle end. Install a dry patch (.243 size) and pull out the barrel insert. No punchs..no chance of barrel muzzle damage. If the insert has been in for 50 years use plenty of liquid wrench and pateince. And the correct barrel insert tool.

I could flesh out this post some more but I'm pooped. I promise I'll get the Kit pictures up sometime in the next 7-10 days.

Herschal..no offense meant to you and your method.

Regards to all..Rob

Last edited by Rob257; 10-19-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 PM

I bought a NOS kit a couple years ago that was missing the tool. Just recently decided to put it to use. The insert turned easily in place, but I would still like the tool.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 AM

rob257, I know my method was just a field expedient and there was risk of bending or breaking the feed ramps. I was pleasantly surprised that so little torque was needed to turn the insert. I have been in touch with the man who bought the kit from me. He had not trouble inserting the liner in his 03A3, using my improvised tool. Your idea for making a reproduction tool is great. Depending on what you have to charge for one, I may be a buyer if you produce them. I wonder if the rifling twist in the liner is in the direction to make the liner want to tighten rather than loosen as the bullet goes down the barrel. My liner fitted snugly but was easy to turn.