Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Orest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Default CMP Affiliated Organization?

Why doesn't the CMP accept NRA memberships for the affiliated club requirement? I would prefer to renew my NRA membership over my GCA membership. The GCA is a great organization, but it would do a lot more for our second amendment rights if we could use the NRA for the requirement.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Not Mr. M, but I bet the NRA is not a Club?

Now for the flame.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 AM
CMP Board Member

CMP does not lobby for or against any political candidate. We guard our 501c3 status.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 AM

Yup, specifically why I don't like the NRA...politics. Give me the option to simply support thier shooting programs and I would be a happy member tomorrow. Too bad most clubs REQUIRE NRA membership.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Yup, specifically why I don't like the NRA...politics. Give me the option to simply support thier shooting programs and I would be a happy member tomorrow. Too bad most clubs REQUIRE NRA membership.
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!"
Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 AM

Have no idea how allowing membership in NRA to qualify for purchase would improve your Second Amendment rights. You have the same rights to buy a rifle from CMP as everyone else. Like any organization, they have the right to establish the rules to accomplish their goals. Meet them you get to buy, don't want to meet them then buy from third party. No Second Amendments rights affected. The Second Amendment only gives you the right to posses a firearm, not who you think you should be able to buy one from. I agree with others, NRA is ok but I don't agree with all their positions and only belong because club I belong too requires it.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 AM

I applaud CMPs decision to support a variety of shooting disciplines by requiring membership in an organization, and then allowing so many different organizations. Add me to the ranks of those who has a concern about clubs requiring NRA membership. There is a nice club near me I'd like to join but I won't if they require me to join NRA, so I am a member of another club instead, and not a bad one, just further and no HP matches!
By no means am I anti-NRA, but I am an advocate of choice, and to me seeing CMP simply wants us to participate in some sort of shooting related pursuit I think that's what this sport is all about. NRA has always seemed to decide what I apparently want, and while the intentions are great I don't care for the method. My opinion, and it may be wrong!
Adding NRA to the list of qualified clubs would probably not enhance anyone's 2nd A rights, as it would be just another club that counts, same as adding another club. Are not most NRA members also members of an affiliated organization?

Anyway, I appreciate the non-political stance of CMP as well as the encouragement to pursue shooting sports as we see fit.

JH
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 AM

Thanks Orest. I was just curious. I know the NRA plays a huge part in making it possible for us to own M1 Garands and other firearms. I guess the CMP does help the
NRA by advertising in their magazine.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
If the NRA was not involved in politics there would be no shooting programs, and you most likely would not be able to own any functional firearm. If you don't understand that you have not been paying attention for the last fifty or so years. Just ask anyone from England or Australia.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 AM

I haven't seen a gun club or range that requires NRA membership to shoot, unless possibly if it's in an official NRA sanctioned competition.