Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Default Scope Stands from Creedmoor

A Creedmoor Sports catalog / flyer came in the mail yesterday. My wife saw it and asked if there was anything in it that I'd like to put on my Christmas list.

I really need a scope stand. I am still using the mini-tripod that came with my spotting scope and have to lie on the ground behind the shooter I'm scoring for. At the Oklahoma Games that led to a whole bunch of stains on my clothing from that red mud they have there. In general it's not a good situation.

Creedmoor has two different types of stands, the "Polecat" and the "Ray-Vin". They look to be very similar in design, and cost about the same. Are either of these a good product that I could use for a long time? Is one any better than the other? Is there a third type that would be a better choice?

Thanks for any help on this.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:22 PM

I recently purchased one of their "Deluxe Tripod" stands and am happy with it. The base and head unit are made of aluminum and the upright is made of polished steel. It has the same footprint as the PoleCat and Ray-Vin. I'm 6'3" and have no problem with getting the scope up high enough for offhand.

The major difference seems to be the head units. The Pole Cat and Ray Vin stands have pretty nice head units, whereas the "deluxe" stand is a bit more basic, but it still does the same thing.

I ordered mine from their website and had it in my hands about 5 days later.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:28 PM

their "Ray-Vin" isn't the same as the old one. IMO, the old one is better, and was less money. If I had to buy one again today, I'd get a First Strike.

http://www.first-strike-products.com/
Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Buy the first strike scope stand. Strong and simple nothing to break. I looked at all the models over the years and bought two of the first strike and wont have to buy again. They are less money and built much better. I had a champions choice and did not like it but it was low cost and got me by for a few years.When my son needed one i got the first strike for both of us,wish i did it years ago.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM

I'll jump on the First Strike bandwagon. Been using mine for almost two years. Love it. Easy to set up and adjust, simple design, quality materials, including a 1 in dia. stainless steel rod, made in good ole Southern USA, and rock solid support for my scope, a Konus. Our Garand match in September, had gusting winds of around 25-30 mph. First Strike stand was stable and steady, even with scope high for offhand. I didn't even think about it till after the match, when a fellow competitor came over and said, "I noticed your's was the only scope/stand not swaying around!" He was right.
The old RayVin stands, which I began highpower using a borrowed one, are just as good, but not the new Creedmore/redesigned RayVin stands, IMHO.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM

If I were going to buy a new scope stand it would be the Pole Cat from Creedmoor.

Tom
Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Thanks for all the advice. If all goes as planned there will be new First Strike stand under the tree.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 AM

Creedmoor is running a scope set up special - their stand and an 82SV Kowa with accesories - $1300 +/-.

I bought this last year and it has been a great set up. The Polecat Head is easy to adjust and holds the Kowa at a workable tension to move controllably if I am using more than one target stand.

I bought the Ray Vin outrigger section and when I am shooting prone it helps get the scope away from the stand so that I can just move my head a little and check my target.

You wont go wrong with the Creedmoor stuff.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Jim Owens scope stand, $140 + $10 shipping, is worth a look. I like mine alot.
jarheadtop.com Regards, Rod
Old 12-29-2012, 03:21 PM

Default Follow Up w/ Photos

Just wanted to follow up with some photos of my new Christmas gift First Strike scope stands.

My wife had wanted to get me a stand for Christmas. I needed a takedown-style post to allow me to travel by air with the stand. She ended up getting me two stands - one with a 48" one-piece rod and a separate stand with a custom two-piece rod with a threaded joint in the middle.

Thanks for the recommendations for the First Strike stands. They are very well made and solid. My wife also said that both Anna and Crystal were very nice to deal with and were happy to make the custom unit.

Now that I have them both in front of me I think the threaded joint on the two-piece stand tightens up well enough that it will be pretty much equal to the one-piece unit in terms of rigidity and stability on windy days. I could have gotten away with just that one, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks again for the help. I think this is a well made product.

Here are both stands. The custom two-piece unit is on the left.

Close up of the base and foot assembly. Locks up tight and is very stable.

Close up of the threaded connection on the two-piece unit.

Out-of-focus close up of the head.