Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Default Looking for Information on Smith Corona 1903 A3

I recently purchased a Smith Corona 1903 A3 and am trying to get some information about it. I don't know a great deal about the 1903 A3...yet, but I am learning. The seller believed it might be all original, but wasn't sure. However the rifle is in what I believe to be in excellent condition. I also had the opportunity to speak with the seller prior to purchasing as well and was satisfied with our discussion enough to purchase the rifle even though it probably wasn't all original. My sense is that it may have originally come from CMP, although the seller didn't purchase it from them.

Overall, the condition of the wood is very good. I can't seem to identify the cartouches on it. Maybe some of you folks would be able to help identify it for me. On the left side of the reciever it is stamped with SSA or SSAA in a box (the reason I am not sure is that when I snapped a photo of it, it appears that there may be a second A not visible to the naked eye, but captured by the camera). On the left cheek area it is stamped OG in a box. Underneath to the rear of the trigger guard it is stamped with a P without a circle and near that a partial stamp of a box with what might be another P in it. Also on the right side by the bolt there appears to be a small amount of wood filler that looks as though it has been there for quite some time. Did they use wood filler when they went to an arsenal for refurbishment?

I have checked the headspacing, bolt closes as it should with the "Go" and no way will it close with the "NoGo" gauge. TE=1 MW=1, the bore is mirror bright with no pitting (4 groove rifling). The parkerizing is intact, and the action is smooth. I believe the rifle was manufactured in December 1943 (serial number: 4823xxx) and the barrel is marked SC 10-43. It may have been rebarreled, but I have no way of knowing for sure, but the date would be consistant with date of manufacture. The bolt is definitely a replacement as it is marked HO 16 on top and SA underneath. The original bolt should have been marked with an X I think. I do know the safety is stamped with an R. I am not sure about the buttplate. The spacing is 16 lines per inch, but has no markings, and I have read that Smith Coronas came with both coarse and fine spaced buttplates.

Photos: http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/...a%201903%20A3/

As always, I appreciate any info you can provide
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Ha

I have the eame questions about mine which was born two months earlier.

Good luck finding the info you see. Nice rifle and would be a great buy in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:51 PM

Seasons' Greetings!

Your rifle has been arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. The "S-SAA" stamp is the overhaul inspection stamp of the San Antonio Arsenal. The "O.G." stamp is the late WWII overhaul inspection stamp of the Ogden Arsenal. The stock has been through overhaul twice. The rifle sitting in it may or may not have been overhauled twice. And yes, arsenals did indeed use wood filler.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

J.B.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Seasons' Greetings!

Your rifle has been arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. The "S-SAA" stamp is the overhaul inspection stamp of the San Antonio Arsenal. The "O.G." stamp is the late WWII overhaul inspection stamp of the Ogden Arsenal. The stock has been through overhaul twice. The rifle sitting in it may or may not have been overhauled twice. And yes, arsenals did indeed use wood filler.

J.B.
John,

Don't forget to head over to my thread too
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Seasons' Greetings!

J.B.
Seasons Greetings as well!

Thanks John, it does help a great deal. What about the P (why no circle) and the partial box with what appears to be a P init (I read somewhere that if the gun was re-proofed during overhaul that sometimes they were marked with a stamp consisting of a square box with a P inside and also that would be indicative of a re-barrel right?). As I stated in my first post regarding the wood filler, there is no doubt that it has been there for a very long time.
Given the condition of the rifle, what do you think it may be worth based on current prices.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:35 AM

The "boxed" P was used by San Antonio Arsenal and Red River Arsenal. The "bare" P was used by Ogden Arsenal. Other arsenals used the "circled" P, like Springfield, although, of course, it was an "armory, not an arsenal.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
The "boxed" P was used by San Antonio Arsenal and Red River Arsenal. The "bare" P was used by Ogden Arsenal. Other arsenals used the "circled" P, like Springfield, although, of course, it was an "armory, not an arsenal.
Thanks Rick for the information. You and Jim were able to provide me with more information on the markings in minutes than I was able to find after already spending hours searching the web. You guys are awesome. I can't wait to take it to the range, I think she's going to be a great shooter. I am still curious as to what a gun like this might be worth.

Thanks, Bill P.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 PM

Seasons' Greetings!

I concur with Rick the Librarian. Different arsenals used different style proof stamps.

J.B.