Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Orest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANinMICH View Post
Absolutely untrue. The president can sign an executive order for absolutely ANYTHING he wants regardless of legality or constitutionality. If congress or scotus choose not to overturn it, it IS law. Dozens of unconstituional executive orders remain as law today
EO cannot create laws. Only Congress can create laws. EO are interpretations of exosting laws.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
EO cannot create laws. Only Congress can create laws. EO are interpretations of exosting laws.
Well, over 200 years of history and almost 15,000 executive orders disagree with you.

Do not confuse "can" with "may"

Executive Orders are published in the Federal Registry and ARE law. We have a long history of presidents issuing executive orders that are Unconstitutional and illegal. They do, however, stand as law to this day.

A president can issue an executive order for, literally, ANYTHING. It is up to Congress and SCOTUS to overrule, overturn, nullify, or refuse to fund it. Should those branches fail to do so, the order is law.

If you expect Congress or SCOTUS to save you, you should know that, despite ALL the UNCONSTITUTIONAL executive orders issued, only TWO executive orders have ever her overturned.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenOC View Post
Look at this from the NYTimes link posted above.

This is one of the tactics dishonest people use to pass bad legislation.

In my view there was no change to be had. Actually I feel it would've been going back to 2003 and foreign invasions. Viable third party is desperately needed.
I couldn't agree with you more. I left the Republican Party in '08 and registered "Decline to State". I no longer have a political party affiliation, although I lean strongly to the Libertarian way of thinking. Do what you want, take responsibility for your life and choices, and leave me alone to do the same.

Anyway, I want to tell those of you in NY to stay strong. This WILL be challenged in court, I guarantee it. We still have the Heller 5 in the Supreme Court. The 2nd Amendment applies to the states as per the McDonald decision, and Heller says that the 2nd is an individual right. One of the decisions, I don't remember which or if it both, contains language about firearms "in common use", and that they are protected under the 2nd.

So stay strong, don't get rid of you higher capacity mags until this thing is looked at by competent lawyers, and until the deadline to do so is reached. In CA parts are just parts, so we can have hi-caps that are disassembled, but still parts complete. That may be an option in NY as well.

I expect a preliminary injunction to be filed ASAP by the SAF and/or the NRA. I know a lot of you guys were totally blindsided by this, but as I said, we in CA have been fighting this fight for years. Last year we defeated a mail order ammo ban, and a law strengthening our assault weapons ban. We are suing counties due to their CCW issuance policies. I now have, and have had a CCW for 2 years, in a county that 3 years ago wouldn't issue to regular people.

Keep your heads up, we have not yet begun to fight.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 AM

I lost most of my faith around early 2004, maybe earlier now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hematite View Post
The definition of Liberal and Conservative has changed and gone full circle over the years. For that reason, if you are are categorizing the Founding Fathers as Liberals by today's definition, you are wrong, thankfully.
And therein lies the problem. When you can convince enough of the population that up is down and left is right, you have won the day, as those oppose can no longer work in unison against whatever agenda is being presented. Individually, they are diverse. As a body, they were liberal.

The definitions never changed, and never will. They can only changed them when placed in comparison to an introduced entity. The root never changes. The Constitution and Declaration took central power from a single individual and dispersed it to the many people so long as it doesn't interfere with another person's pursuit of happiness (or unhappiness). That's liberalization.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM

How about ammo too? I received my DBU on 1/8/13 for a dose of Carbine ammo. Will that go through? It is a sad time for us shooters in the Empire State! We will persevere even though it looks like I'll be registering my evil, pre-94 ban, black rifle and possibly my 2 Carbines!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Chief Operating Officer

guys, I have been on travel and not reading the forum. Answer to question is that we will comply with the law, federal or state. NY just passed one and we need time to digest it - give us a week at least. Locking thread - since there should be nothing else said after my answer.