CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Garand (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Has the CMP run out of M1 rifles (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=281733)

Jim C 351 05-13-2021 06:48 PM

Has the CMP run out of M1 rifles

Has the CMP run out of M1 rifles?????????????????
Last January I ordered 2 WRA field grade rifles.
I closely monitored WRA sales since ordering.
I noticed that those who upgraded from field grade to service grade received rifles.
For the most part those who stuck with field grades did not receive rifles.
So, I sent an email to CMP requesting to upgrade from field to service.
I received a prompt reply from CMP advising that they were out of both field and service grade WRA M1 rifles.
They acknowledged my request and said I'm on the list if a WRA M1 becomes available.
I can't help but wonder where such a rifle would come from.
Does the CMP have boxes of rifles yet to be opened???
According to M1 rifle sales the only rifles left for sale are field grade SA and HRA.
So is the CMP out of rifles or do they have a secret stash to be opened on the 4th of July.
Jim C

Gewehr43 05-13-2021 06:56 PM

This has been beat-to-death for years now......
No, they have not.
People have been worried about that for about 10yrs now.....

You ordered during a crush time and they are back logged.
Just like everything else gun related.

ZvenoMan 05-13-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim C 351 (Post 2044940)
Does the CMP have boxes of rifles yet to be opened???

They open crates of rifles every day, inspect, repair, grade and sort for sale.
They will continue to do this for years.
There are a few threads on the process, a few threads on the current backlog as well.

The crates are just serial numbers until they are opened, they may be rack grade or collector grade, no telling until then. That's why every manufacturer and grade comes in and out of stock, regularly.

JH

Jim C 351 05-13-2021 08:04 PM

OK,
Thanks for the reply's.
So, the answer is, the CMP has plenty of rifles,but they are unable to process rifles fast enough to keep up with orders and that's why everything is sold out.
I just didn't realize the vast number of cases yet unopened.
Thanks again,
Jim C

ZvenoMan 05-13-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim C 351 (Post 2044969)
OK,
Thanks for the reply's.
So, the answer is, the CMP has plenty of rifles,but they are unable to process rifles fast enough to keep up with orders and that's why everything is sold out.
I just didn't realize the vast number of cases yet unopened.
Thanks again,
Jim C

They are a lean organization. I don't know how many armorers in the main facility (excluding the NS/SS/Custom Shop) but it's probably around a dozen. Consider they got what, 100k rifles from the PI a few years ago. They are on pallets and/or crates (of 20-50). All they have is a list of serial numbers for each.
They must open each, inspect each rifle and make it functional + test fire, as well as sort into the 5 or so basic grades as well as the major manufacturers and subcategories. Then record that info with the serial number, and segregate by stock# for storage. Rifles are pulled from storage to the stores + mail order areas.
Stocks are always in short supply as they simply don't last as long. And if CMP uses new production stocks the natives become very restless, so they constantly seek those.
The Special grades are further affected by the 3rd party supply of barrels and new production stocks, then must be assembled, refinished and tested. Last I heard barrels are on back order.

Read the forums a bit; this is not insider info. All things firearms are either not available, delayed for months or insane prices (usually several of those).
CMP is not immune.

A search will locate some pictures of CMP's warehouses; mountains of green crates.
JH

Craftsman 05-13-2021 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZvenoMan (Post 2044994)
They are a lean organization. I don't know how many armorers in the main facility (excluding the NS/SS/Custom Shop) but it's probably around a dozen. Consider they got what, 100k rifles from the PI a few years ago. They are on pallets and/or crates (of 20-50). All they have is a list of serial numbers for each.
They must open each, inspect each rifle and make it functional + test fire, as well as sort into the 5 or so basic grades as well as the major manufacturers and subcategories. Then record that info with the serial number, and segregate by stock# for storage. Rifles are pulled from storage to the stores + mail order areas.
Stocks are always in short supply as they simply don't last as long. And if CMP uses new production stocks the natives become very restless, so they constantly seek those.
The Special grades are further affected by the 3rd party supply of barrels and new production stocks, then must be assembled, refinished and tested. Last I heard barrels are on back order.

Read the forums a bit; this is not insider info. All things firearms are either not available, delayed for months or insane prices (usually several of those).
CMP is not immune.

A search will locate some pictures of CMP's warehouses; mountains of green crates.
JH

That's the funniest thing I've read all night, funny and true!!! Never forget when I opened the brown cardboard box and lifted the egg foam 10 years ago to see a sad looking new production/commercial birch - "pumpkin-wood" stock staring at me.:cry: They've made up for it many times over since then.

JohnBrowning 05-13-2021 10:06 PM

At some point they will run out. I think it was said that something like 70% of the PI rifles had unusable barrels, and I hope that isn't true, but I think that came from a reputable source.

Maybe a lot more Special Rack grades are in the future cards.

Buy all you can afford and you won't have to worry. :)

Capt.Tom 05-13-2021 11:02 PM

The other thing I remember seeing about the Philippine returns was that many of the stocks were termite infested and had to be treated before they could be loaded on to the ship. So I think they ended up with a lot of very diverse items from the Philippines. They probably got some that look great and some that literally all they can save is the receiver. I don't know where my Rack grade special came from, I'm assuming it probably was the Philippines, but it was a great buy for somebody who wants to shoot their guns as opposed to just look at it. It was only $650 almost all of the pitting was below the wood line where it wasn't visible and it had a brand new Criterion Barrel on it a brand new stock. Which some elbow grease, tung oil finish and finishing wax the stock came out looking pretty good if I do say so myself. And I don't think anybody except our local experts on this form would look at it and say yuck!
It's definitely not a collector's item but it probably shoots better than most "collectible" guns.
https://i.imgur.com/V2aojG8.jpg

Fenris_Bane 05-14-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.Tom (Post 2045013)
The other thing I remember seeing about the Philippine returns was that many of the stocks were termite infested and had to be treated before they could be loaded on to the ship. So I think they ended up with a lot of very diverse items from the Philippines. They probably got some that look great and some that literally all they can save is the receiver.

I believe my Garand was a Philippine return. There was no pitting on any of the metal parts and the metal parts had that greenish tint that old Parkerizing gets. However, it had a new stock.

I would of liked to have a USGI stock, but the new stock was a very nice dark walnut with a very, very faint CMP stamp. It is also very tight.

So there may be a shortage of these replacement stocks. I wonder how many Service Grade need new stocks. Service Grade may have a new stock but Special Grade have new stocks.

So it may be the access to replacement stock which might be delaying Service Grades.

ZvenoMan 05-14-2021 03:20 PM

The supply is dwindling.
The DCM "one in a lifetime" Garands were the best. Then came the Danes, they were the best. Then the Greeks, they were the best. In 5 years the PI gins will be well remembered.
No matter what CMP has today, the last ones seem to have been "better" in our minds.

As the esteemed Mr. Browning said above, they will run out someday. The last one made was finished before most on this forum were born, and the stocks, while wood, aren't growing in trees.
CMP limits us to more Garands per year than 99.99% of us will buy in a lifetime, so if a Garand interest, or may interest you then buy one or a bunch now. No one is stopping you (well, maybe kitchen actual....).

JH