CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ask Each Other (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Can't afford to shoot anymore? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=292175)

Griff557 01-15-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milprileb (Post 2107159)
Making the ammo too costly is the same result as making ammo unavailable. Drives down value of fire arms and denies you and your kids / grand kids the kind of shooting life we've long enjoyed in this country.

They canít pass new gun control and without ammo guns are poor clubs. I find it hard to believe after 2 years of this ammo and loading components are still basically unavailable. Thereís more going on here than just supply and demand

mac1911 01-15-2022 04:36 PM

IDK I always felt "shooting" was never a cheap sport.
My dad would stock deep on 22lr in the late 70s through early 90s would save up $ so when we went to NH camping we would hit a few gun shows and stack 22lr deep .
I to have been stacking over the years for reloading. I also been "buying" my reloads off myself.
So when the prices and quantities are back to where I feel its good I have a little chunk of change to restock.
Till then I have shifted to 22lr, pellet guns, reduced loads for 100 yards , cast bullets and such.

rubicon762 01-16-2022 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medalguy (Post 2107005)
As the song goes "this ain't my first rodeo." I've been through this crap several times now, so I learned that when supplies are available, buy them and stock up...

I'm shooting more now than I ever have. :)

No waiting at my gun club (outdoor range) or at the indoor range near where I work.

I'm tripping over full ammo cans here at home. ;)
I'm laughing. I'm not laughing at you; I'm laughing WITH you.
I learned the SAME painful lesson than you are learning now, years ago.

I got caught "flat footed" back in September 1994 when the "Clinton Assault Weapon Ban" was passed. I didn't have what I wanted before prices skyrocketed.
When it sun-setted in 2004, and prices returned to normal, I started buying.

That included not only certain firearms, but extra "normal" capacity magazines, and ammo. LOTS of ammo. :)

I was buying Milsurp rifle ammo in 5.56 and 7.62 nato cheaper that I could reload it for a few years! I still have some.

When I buy a rifle from the CMP, I ALWAYS buy the 2 cases of ammo allotted with it at a discount.

I have been reloading, and casting lead projectiles for my handguns since 1992. If you shoot more than 1,000 rounds per year, not counting 22lr, it's WORTH getting into reloading. Yes, there is a start-up cost.

Availability is coming back, and prices are slowly coming down here near Cleveland, Ohio.

Here is the take away: BUY IT CHEAP AND STACK IT DEEP.

I look at ammo like I look at gasoline: it's fuel that I use.

You all will find it comforting, during the next "ammo shortage/gun buying panic/Gun Control Law coming" madness to have a few THOUSAND rounds for each of your guns rather than 2 BOXES.

Best regards.

Gewehr43 01-16-2022 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff557 (Post 2107162)
They canít pass new gun control and without ammo guns are poor clubs. I find it hard to believe after 2 years of this ammo and loading components are still basically unavailable. Thereís more going on here than just supply and demand

I've been in the shooting community since the late 80's..........
The same thing happening now is the same thing that has happened the past 6? times.
Nothing has changed since the last time........ nothing.

I'm getting Sale ads for ammo.............

Griff557 01-16-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gewehr43 (Post 2107379)
I've been in the shooting community since the late 80's..........
The same thing happening now is the same thing that has happened the past 6? times.
Nothing has changed since the last time........ nothing.

I'm getting Sale ads for ammo.............

I donít quite agreeÖ.two years later the local sporting goods shelves are still bare not just 9mm .22 rimfire or the evil black rifle 5.56 there are no 12 gauge trap loads or hunting loads no 30-06 or other common calibers. I havenít seen large rifle primers or powder since I canít remember when. The manufactures claim they are running at full capacity-one would think after this long the shelves and supply would catch up. I really believe there is something else going on this time

Brian 01-16-2022 02:50 PM

In previous “shortages” there were always alternatives. They don’t have varget? 8208 or 4895 would have to do. No CCI 41’s? 400’s will work. We’re coming up on 2 years of this. There are still record numbers of new owners. Not all are just buying the 2 boxes with the gun then stopping. Some are getting involved in the sport. It’s not just one thing, but a combination of factors. The one thing I will agree with is the factors contributing to this are manufactured by governmental policies not aimed at our sport, but aimed at us as citizens. This is not an organic occurrence (my opinion).

Ma Deuce 01-16-2022 03:47 PM

I always load up before election years as the big scare comes in to effect,Everyones worried about the one party banning firearms if they get in office and prices ion ammo and firearms shoot thru the roof,It seems one party who wants them banned should actually get a medal for selling the most firearms and ammo in years every election.I buy before the election scares while ammo is cheap i never buy less than a 1,000 rounds unless it is for a pistol I only ocasionaly shoot then I buy 500 or 250.,anytime i see a great deal on 1,000 rounds i buy it and store it as if i have to much I can always sell some when prices are high in election years and make more money than i paid for it .

captaincalc 01-16-2022 04:14 PM

It's been said a LOT in these pages that there are millions of new firearm owners out there now. A thousand rounds each would come up to... well, you do the math. a couple hundred rounds each would still put a damp on ammo... and where else are the ammo manufactures gonna get primers, etc. "Ours" are going to "them." I try to replace when my pile gets down to "large." I'm not replacing as fast now - till prices come down more.

captaincalc 01-16-2022 04:17 PM

And you rimfire guys: don't ignore: you can reload your 22lr's. There're rigs out there for it. Anybody around here tried them? (Actually tried them vs theoretically tried them) I'm curious to hear how well (or not) they work. Yes, I'll assume they're slow. Slow doesn't appeal, fifteen cents a 22 appeals less.

Kestrel4k 01-16-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincalc (Post 2107472)
And you rimfire guys: don't ignore: you can reload your 22lr's. There're rigs out there for it. Anybody around here tried them? (Actually tried them vs theoretically tried them) I'm curious to hear how well (or not) they work. Yes, I'll assume they're slow. Slow doesn't appeal, fifteen cents a 22 appeals less.

Narrative on that over at RFC very recently; friend of the poster dropped $3k on the full monty.
Many FTF's and/or bullets not even punching the paper, despite a few iterations. Abandoned the effort.

On the other hand, only a few years ago it was as easy as falling off a log to stock up on a number of cases of GECO Bolt (standard velocity) @ $205 shipped, or CCI SV @ $250.
Pretty difficult to run through 50,000 RF unless a person is pretty determined, lol. :rolleyes: