CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Auction (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Where did the bolt guns come from? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=230549)

wfo87 06-30-2018 06:17 PM

Where did the bolt guns come from?

I see this week there was a 40-X single shot, a barrelled receiver, a Steyr 300 Meter and some other unique pieces. We're these transferred thru the Army or by private donations? Any Ideas?

bob loughlin 06-30-2018 06:21 PM

Most likely private donations . Bob

T38Carbine 06-30-2018 08:20 PM

Returns can come from a lot of obscure places. Closed bases that purchased sporting arms, closed ROTC units, etc..

wfo87 06-30-2018 08:44 PM

Yes I'm sure. I guess my point is it would be nice to know if I was bidding on a Army returned 40-X or a donation from XYZ shooter or his estate. Just the history buff in me.

T38Carbine 07-01-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfo87 (Post 1731811)
Yes I'm sure. I guess my point is it would be nice to know if I was bidding on a Army returned 40-X or a donation from XYZ shooter or his estate. Just the history buff in me.

I certainly share your sentiments. But, I think the CMP has long since decided that they will not disclose origin. An M1 is an M1 whether it came from US stores or a MAP return, or Grandpa Bill’s estate.

krdomingue 07-01-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T38Carbine (Post 1731905)
I certainly share your sentiments. But, I think the CMP has long since decided that they will not disclose origin. An M1 is an M1 whether it came from US stores or a MAP return, or Grandpa Billís estate.

But we are not talking about M1s. The question is about the oddball bolt guns that are sold in all manner of conditions. They have no issue with identifying the Marine Corp sniper rifles. Detail history may not be available, but it would be nice to know if the item came out of Army storage or Bubba's gun collection.

T38Carbine 07-01-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krdomingue (Post 1731935)
But we are not talking about M1s. The question is about the oddball bolt guns that are sold in all manner of conditions. They have no issue with identifying the Marine Corp sniper rifles. Detail history may not be available, but it would be nice to know if the item came out of Army storage or Bubba's gun collection.

Same policy applies to all products.

krdomingue 07-01-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T38Carbine (Post 1731966)
Same policy applies to all products.

I am not sure if it a policy or not, but doesn't apply to all products:

"US Marine Corp Issue 10x Unertl Sniper Telescope"
"
"The Civilian Marksmanship Program has acquired a small quantity of these telescopes. These are very rarely seen on the civilian market, as USMC marked Unertl scopes were never sold directly to the public. "

"Up for auction is a DEFENSE ADVANCED RESEARCH PROJECT AGENCY (DARPA) XM-3 Sniper Rifle used by the United States Marine Corps. In mid-2005, DARPA worked with Lt. Col. Norm Chandlerís Iron Brigade Armory (IBA)"

"This barreled action was received from DOD with a lot of other miscellaneous rifles."

T38Carbine 07-01-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krdomingue (Post 1732022)
I am not sure if it a policy or not, but doesn't apply to all products:

"US Marine Corp Issue 10x Unertl Sniper Telescope"
"
"The Civilian Marksmanship Program has acquired a small quantity of these telescopes. These are very rarely seen on the civilian market, as USMC marked Unertl scopes were never sold directly to the public. "

"Up for auction is a DEFENSE ADVANCED RESEARCH PROJECT AGENCY (DARPA) XM-3 Sniper Rifle used by the United States Marine Corps. In mid-2005, DARPA worked with Lt. Col. Norm Chandlerís Iron Brigade Armory (IBA)"

"This barreled action was received from DOD with a lot of other miscellaneous rifles."

Good point!! I guess itís policy when they feel like it!!

wfo87 07-01-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T38Carbine (Post 1732041)
Good point!! I guess itís policy when they feel like it!!

I knew you guys would work out your differences. Mean while if anyone knows anything about this crop of 40X oddities and the Steyr......