CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1A/M14 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Smith Enterprise receivers Availability (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=99557)

03spfld 02-14-2013 06:44 PM

Smith Enterprise receivers Availability
 
Has anyone received or ordered a Smith Enterprise M-14 receiver lately. I ordered one 6 weeks ago( it showed in stock) but haven't received it. I'm sure they are swamped with phone calls, just wondered if anyone has received one lately. Thanks.

hammonje 02-14-2013 07:37 PM

Nope. I have five on order. Expect 3-4 month wait at least. May/June.

Paladin601 02-14-2013 08:52 PM

FIVE!!! Building an Army, or planning a rebellion?

Don in SC 02-14-2013 09:08 PM

I ordered three mid of last year and had them in a week. Things are crazy. B.O. has to be the best gun saleman in all of history.

hammonje 02-14-2013 09:38 PM

Paladin...I have 14 more builds planned this year taking my build total for the last 2 years to 30. I just like building M14s in my spare time and can't seem to let any go. Where I am going to find mint, matched USGI parts kits in the future????? I bought a bunch from Dave Reese all inclusive and including the USGI bolt and new in tube barrels. Enjoy....

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...4/DSC_3895.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...1/DSC_3072.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...4/DSC_3883.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...4/DSC_3196.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...4Starburst.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...2/DSC_3792.jpg

And the ones I have in the works may even be nicer. I wanted to save the very best for the SEI barstock receivers.

Paladin601 02-14-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammonje (Post 773522)
Paladin...I have 14 more builds planned this year taking my build total for the last 2 years to 30. I just like building M14s in my spare time and can't seem to let any go. Where I am going to find mint, matched USGI parts kits in the future????? I bought a bunch from Dave Reese all inclusive and including the USGI bolt and new in tube barrels. Enjoy....

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...4/DSC_3895.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...1/DSC_3072.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...4/DSC_3883.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...4/DSC_3196.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...4Starburst.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...2/DSC_3792.jpg

And the ones I have in the works may even be nicer. I wanted to save the very best for the SEI barstock receivers.

Very Nice!, it is addicting isn't it

hammonje 02-14-2013 11:38 PM

No...not at all :)

I'm generating a time capsule. I build them with care and attention to detail to honor the guys that carried them in service and to those that were responsible for design/production. I'll have some fine examples to pass along.

In my opinion, finest battle rifle ever fielded. Armies moved on to Assault rifles. The trend never caught on with me. An M-16 will never be an M14, M1, M1 Carbine or 03. One's man made, the other solely by machines. Walnut gives the rifle a soul.

Paladin601 02-15-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammonje (Post 773618)
No...not at all :)

I'm generating a time capsule. I build them with care and attention to detail to honor the guys that carried them in service and to those that were responsible for design/production. I'll have some fine examples to pass along.

In my opinion, finest battle rifle ever fielded. Armies moved on to Assault rifles. The trend never caught on with me. An M-16 will never be an M14, M1, M1 Carbine or 03. One's man made, the other solely by machines. Walnut gives the rifle a soul.

yeah, plastic and aluminum is not the same. The Walnut has that smell, and to me, it makes the rifle alive. the steel has that solid heft to it.

mcpo 02-15-2013 10:19 AM

I acquired an M1a a while back. My first!!! Used, about 10 years old with a leupold scope mounted with a SEI mount. It's a NM and is in beautiful condition. Of course I've had to have surgery on my right hand followed by surgery on my left hand and have not been able to do much with it!! Our two sons have been very helpful though....developing loads, shooting the rifle!!! I was a bit nervous and afraid it might have some issues but it functions well and is incredibly accurate. Actually holds tighter groups than some of my bolt rifles. Not as nice as the M14's HAMMONJIE builds to be sure but still a dream come true for this poor old retiree!!

jdwboy 02-15-2013 12:28 PM

hey Hammonje, you ever sell those builds??? Or just stock them away?

hammonje 02-15-2013 12:40 PM

Stock 'em away. I haven't found too many that nice. They all are standards shooting @ 1 MOA. Everything is USGI except the receiver and they are all matched. They'd be too expensive and I am not going to sell one and make $200. I can't replace the choice USGI parts. Now if you are in GA and want to build one up over at Hook's or at my shop we can make that happen. I would be more than willing to help local folks build their own. Proof is in the pudding. These are not hard to build and accurize. One can save the time and money and put some sweat equity into it. Really helps to comprehend function and trouble shoot failures. I have no FFL so we'd have to twist it together as a team. All the better.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...nt5IMR4895.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...nt1IMR4895.jpg

200 yards:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...DSAnalyzed.jpg

NM ferrule mod, stock/handguard fitting, rear sight fitting, GC shim and trigger mod. All done by yours truly. Perfecting my bedding technique. I don't like to add weight unless the barrel is a NM medium weight Saco-Lowell.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...M/DSC_3745.jpg

jeremy69 02-15-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03spfld (Post 773333)
Has anyone received or ordered a Smith Enterprise M-14 receiver lately. I ordered one 6 weeks ago( it showed in stock) but haven't received it. I'm sure they are swamped with phone calls, just wondered if anyone has received one lately. Thanks.

OP, who did you order from? SEI doesn't sell directly, did you go through Croc's or R Guns?

Mine came from Croc, excellent product..

03spfld 02-16-2013 07:15 PM

I actually did order it from R-guns.

jeremy69 02-16-2013 07:58 PM

R Guns has a habit of listing stuff in stock that is not. I would get in touch with them for a delivery date and strongly suggest checking with Croc. He was also cheaper

Vos Parate 02-16-2013 10:36 PM

Has anyone had Croc's build up a Smith receiver with a CMP kit and USGI bolt and barrel?

jeremy69 02-16-2013 11:19 PM

I don't think Croc is doing builds. You can order it barreled with a Smith barrel if you want. Or just get the receiver and send it plus parts back to Smith for the build.

Paladin601 02-16-2013 11:28 PM

Croc's, Hooks (no offense to anyone) but, it sounds like "PeterPan":D

hammonje 02-17-2013 01:20 PM

I ordered my SEI direct from Andy....aka Crocodile Dundee. I also have 6 SAI on order as well. I've built an SEI based rifle for a friend. Had no issues at all. Everything went together well and shot accurately. USGI barrel headspaced easily.

M14 02-17-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammonje (Post 775430)
I ordered my SEI direct from Andy....aka Crocodile Dundee. I also have 6 SAI on order as well. I've built an SEI based rifle for a friend. Had no issues at all. Everything went together well and shot accurately. USGI barrel headspaced easily.

That is good to hear Jason. Been waiting for a few reviews on these, especially after seeing the first ones. Thanks bud !

jeremy69 02-17-2013 11:35 PM

Jason, what was the serial # you built? Mine is 137...

M14 02-18-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammonje (Post 773887)
...... They all are standards shooting @ 1 MOA. Everything is USGI except the receiver and they are all matched......


I just wanted to shout out another thank you to Jason.

For years, I have been trying to tell folks that the platform is capable of MOA shooting without any extra effort really. All it needs is some good handloads or good match ammo, the ferrule clearanced so it doesn't bang around and get hit by the barrel, the proper draw pressure and fit in a stock that allows the right draw, and no bedding whatsoever.

I only bed one if the draw is not sufficient. Lots of them, I just move the ferrule down some and squeeze the liner to fit the legs better and glue it in the stock, then make sure the trigger group will latch up correctly. That is why most older stocks from military supply will have the trigger group pad locations smeared with marinetex or bisonite. They will shoot lights out let me tell you. It really gets off with some guys when a stock rifle will outshoot their supermatch, super expensive rifles.

All I ever got from guys was guff, about how the military required this and that size group....and that is all they are capable of doing......nonsense.

hammonje 02-18-2013 08:48 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words Rip.

When I want to make accuracy claims I take pictures of my groups. Also match shooters know I can hold 'em. I cannot hold near MOA groups everyday, but on good days I can. Only mods I did were the ones listed. As you related the trigger groups sometimes get bedded in if the lockup is weak. That's about it. You need a 1" belt sander, a few wood rasps, a die grinder on a rheostat, and a fine India stone. Not too much tooling to perform these mods. Next I need to perfect my bedding technique and I am working on it as we speak.

I think the aftermarket Criterion barrels make a substantial upgrade from the USGI barrels as well. That may be where some are resistant to believing such claims.

M14 02-18-2013 03:15 PM

You are welcome sir. It is comforting to see so many more guys getting into building these rifles, after all, we will not be around forever and need to pass the information on to others for our posterity.

If the OP will forgive us for hijacking his thread for a bit, I would like to address your remark about Criterion barrels and the imporvement over the original G.I. barrels. Lately, I have seen several Criterion barrels used in CMP rebuilds on Garands that were, for lack of a better word, horrendous. The chambers were reamed with what looked like a worn out drill bit. They had lines and gouges all over the bottlenecks in the chambers, and just would not function correctly.

On the M1A/M14 end, I have seen some decent shooting Criterion barrels though, but in comparison with G.I. barrels shooting the same ammo, I am seeing much better accuracy with the G.I. barrels. So recently I decided to look into this and see if it was just a fluke from a varied selection of rifles in my collection and other's rifles with Criterions, and chose to slug the barrels.

I recently took up casting for my M14's and testing with the .311 and .309 caliber projectiles, and I had some of those laying around to use for slugging. Now the surprising part.....When I slugged a Wolfe barrel (made by Criterion)of a friends rifle (chrome lined) it was tight at the muzzle end as the slug went down, and had to be beaten with a mallet for the first 3" or so, then the slug was able to be pushed with one fingertip and the rod, till about 3" in front of the chamber, no resistence whatsoever, at one point, I thought is was going to fall out of the chamber end, then finished with mallet and rod and was tight again.

Repeated the same process on my G.I. barrels, and they had to be beaten all the way through. Now I know why Gus said the armorers only used air gauged barrels for the NM rifle builds.

So in short, if I had a choice, I would choose the G.I. barrels over the Criterions any day. Not just for the nostalgia, but for accuracy as well. It is sad that we are probably seeing the last of these forever though. If I knew where to buy a hundred of them right now, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

P.S.
To be fair, I do have one Criterion G.I. profile barrel that will hold it's own against the G.I. ones. For how long, remains to be seen.

03spfld 02-19-2013 10:24 PM

Just an update ; I took jeremy69's advice and called Croc's and ordered a Smith receiver with a backorder of a couple of months. His are also cheaper than R-guns and being able to talk with a nice and knowledgable person, rather than a machine is definitely a plus.

jeremy69 02-19-2013 10:28 PM

Anthony "croc" is good people for sure, it's hard to get HIM off the phone sometimes when he get going... Not your usual experience, but in a good way and not common these days. Reminds me of Claude at RA and Mike at WCS, contact them for your GI M14 parts needs...

hammonje 02-19-2013 10:35 PM

Couldn't agree more. Croc, Claude, Mike, and Randy at Treeline are good folks to deal with. They're easy going and good businessmen.

duke54 02-23-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy69 (Post 777544)
Anthony "croc" is good people for sure, it's hard to get HIM off the phone sometimes when he get going... Not your usual experience, but in a good way and not common these days. Reminds me of Claude at RA and Mike at WCS, contact them for your GI M14 parts needs...

Yes they are !! + 100 to that !

gaddie 02-24-2013 02:10 PM

How do I get in contact with croc ???

jeremy69 02-24-2013 03:27 PM

Call him, 505-757-3461.. He is actually reachable by phone which is really rare in this business right now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.