CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Smallbore (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   H&r m12 (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=280360)

Calfed 04-15-2021 08:26 PM

H&R m12 trigger problem

I recently picked up an H&R M12. It was working fine and like an idiot, I decided to remove the bolt to look down the bore.

I put the bolt back in the rifle and now the rifle uncocks itself when ever I work the bolt.

Any ideas?

hebes405 04-15-2021 09:33 PM

thats odd. Its like the trigger is not resetting. It might be packed in grease. Fiddled with the bolt release. Maybe that will free it up. Might need to disassemble.

Calfed 04-15-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hebes405 (Post 2036340)
thats odd. Its like the trigger is not resetting. It might be packed in grease. Fiddled with the bolt release. Maybe that will free it up. Might need to disassemble.

I just checked. The trigger does not reset. If I manually press the trigger forward, the bolt stays cocked, and the trigger works. But then I have to do that every time I work the bolt.

broomhandle 04-15-2021 11:39 PM

Hi Sir,

DO not even think about taking the bolt apart without reading how to do it!
It's a complex unit. You might ruin it for a minor problem.
This is a great place to find out how to do it correctly. Ask here or the How TO section of the board.
I had a issue with the extractors, a fellow replied & the minor problem was fixed in a flash. I did not see or feel the Dried grease in extractor slots. A good soaking in some solvent was the fix!

Good Luck.
broom

Calfed 04-16-2021 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broomhandle (Post 2036363)
Hi Sir,

DO not even think about taking the bolt apart without reading how to do it!
It's a complex unit. You might ruin it for a minor problem.
This is a great place to find out how to do it correctly. Ask here or the How TO section of the board.
I had a issue with the extractors, a fellow replied & the minor problem was fixed in a flash. I did not see or feel the Dried grease in extractor slots. A good soaking in some solvent was the fix!

Good Luck.
broom

I appreciate the tip. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I will approach fixing it with caution.

hebes405 04-16-2021 05:30 AM

By disassemble, I. Ment take the action out of the wood if it's packed with grease.
Let's recap what happened:
Rifle worked fine, you removed the bolt, you inserted the bolt back into the rifle, now the the rifle won't cock.

broomhandle 04-16-2021 06:20 AM

Hi hebes405,

I had the same issue when I first bought the rifle! The bolt spring & lever was gummed up! The bolt pulled out of the action after I thought I cleaned it correctly.
Again the guys here saved me from going down the wrong trail! As you are now.

Sadly most of the people that KNOW this type of rifle have passed.

Thanks again for helping us out!:GS:
broom

hebes405 04-16-2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broomhandle (Post 2036386)
Hi hebes405,

I had the same issue when I first bought the rifle! The bolt spring & lever was gummed up! The bolt pulled out of the action after I thought I cleaned it correctly.
Again the guys here saved me from going down the wrong trail! As you are now.

Sadly most of the people that KNOW this type of rifle have passed.

Thanks again for helping us out!:GS:
broom

When I bought my rifle, it had lots of sticky grease EVERYWHERE. Very nice rifles.

Calfed 04-16-2021 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hebes405 (Post 2036379)
By disassemble, I. Ment take the action out of the wood if it's packed with grease.
Let's recap what happened:
Rifle worked fine, you removed the bolt, you inserted the bolt back into the rifle, now the the rifle won't cock.

Yes, the rifle won't cock unless I manually push the trigger forward will cocking the rifle. The rifle appears to be clean and free of excess grease.

broomhandle 04-16-2021 03:13 PM

H iCalfed,

Just a wild guess here.
Is it possible when you took the bolt out you reliever the firing pin spring about a half turn?
Or turned it tighter than it's correct spot. I think there may be line up marks on the two parts of the bolt. I hope you can get some help, it's most likely a quick adjustment at most.
I'm told there are three other guys in my area that have the M12's.
I have the rifle for about three years, been trying to find them for three years.:cry:
Guys like hebes405 are my lifeline for help with older firearms.

Good Luck,
broom