CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Accessories (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Leather sling (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=166720)

Popeye913 05-20-2015 06:59 AM

Leather sling

Looking to purchase a leather sling for my M1 shooter. Any suggestions on where to buy one and is one better then the other? Appreciate any input.

edlmann 05-20-2015 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popeye913 (Post 1299695)
Looking to purchase a leather sling for my M1 shooter. Any suggestions on where to buy one and is one better then the other? Appreciate any input.

Better often = more $$$. IMHO, one of the best values is one of Turner Saddlery's seconds. I've bought a few and can't figure out what the defect(s) are.

jhunt67 05-22-2015 06:34 PM

+1 for Turner 2nds. Also - if you want a quality repop I'd suggest At the Front:

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/Produc...tCode=USWW07RS

jsudduth 05-22-2015 06:46 PM

I use Ron Brown's slings. 54" length. I have one on my Garand and 03A3. Love them.

You can find them here:

http://www.servicerifleslings.com

Or here:

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...g-RBSLING.html

Jim

mac1911 05-23-2015 08:21 AM

I used the Turner for 4 years it has been great. Although it tends to loosen up a bit.
I recently bought a brown and it's on first few uses better. It really locks into place and doesn't move the over all feel of the leather is different stiffer less flex.

This is just my observations. I have 2 turners (factory 2nd) and plan to buy a few more for my other rifles I don't shoot as much.
Both are very good

Greg 06-07-2015 08:45 AM

I had purchased the one that jhunt linked to after getting some cheap ones. I should have just spent the money to begin with and gotten the repro from ATF.
I wanted a sling that looked like it belonged on the rifle and this one is it. I can't tell you how it would hold up to competitive shooting because I don't do that but for informal shooting, it does fine.

Mac Attack 06-07-2015 10:57 AM

What do you need a sling for? Do you just want one to make your rifle look complete or are you looking for a sling to use in competition? If just for looks then any of the repo 1907 slings or a Turner 2nd will work. If you are wanting a sling to use in competition them a Turner or Ron Brown are good options. I own both and my preference is for the stouter Ron Brown. You can get both from Creedmoore sports.

grumpa72 06-08-2015 08:28 PM

I have one of these for my 1903A3 and it functions nicely - looks very good too.

http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.c...CatName=Slings The leather one.

dwarren8 06-09-2015 08:11 PM

slings

check out Jim Thompson 1907 slings advertised here. I have one on my 03A3, ordering one for my garand. Great products, and Jim will steer you right. These things look like originals, but are made to last. If you've not used a 1907 sling, you'll be amazed how it will help you shoot if properly fitted

Roadkingtrax 11-29-2015 06:05 PM

Ron Brown, and twice on Sunday.

44halftrack 01-05-2016 11:43 AM

jimthompson502002. What is your mailing address?? I would like to purchase a leather sling for one of my M1 Garands. jzsoldosjr@yahoo.com 44halftrack

jimthompson502002 01-05-2016 05:47 PM

Presume you got my messages. I sent two.

Thanks.

The premium units I have at $34.00 standard price are the ones folks tell me are the equal of straps costing about three times that price. They also look really good, especially once darkened a bit with most any oil-based conditioner. Have been making them available with spare keepers ( most keepers will NOT color or tone match--sorry, just don't have enough! ) for an extra six bucks. Real leather, new-style hooks, stitched and riveted properly where specification call it out.

One should be very careful using valuable vintage slings, and in fact, most of us quit doing that decades ago. I've had two split, one such event badly scratching a valuable rifle.

The custom jobs I used to have made are no longer available.

adangelo2020 03-05-2021 09:41 AM

Orig 1907 leather sling treatment

Hey guys,

I've got an original leather sling and it's starting to look dried out. I was wondering if I should treat it with some kind of leather protector/conditioner but I don't want to devalue the sling. What do you guys recommend?

rickgman 03-05-2021 11:59 AM

In my opinion, when it comes to value you can not beat a Turner sling. A high quality sling at a very reasonable price.

Shomway 03-05-2021 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adangelo2020 (Post 2022391)
Hey guys,

I've got an original leather sling and it's starting to look dried out. I was wondering if I should treat it with some kind of leather protector/conditioner but I don't want to devalue the sling. What do you guys recommend?

You will gets lots of opinions on what to use and I know I will get flamed for mine...:p
Been using Skidmore's leather cream for years and suppose to have natural oils and beeswax. Look on eBay.....

adangelo2020 03-05-2021 12:45 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks!

vmaxma3 03-05-2021 07:11 PM

I’ve used Pecard’s on a few WW2 slings and holsters.

adangelo2020 03-05-2021 08:00 PM

Thanks!

Heavy Junk Operator 03-07-2021 11:15 AM

I have used Turner slings for 25+ years. Last forever.

Also use Skidmore's leather cream. -Pro Tip- Buy the large tub.

M1Rifleman 03-07-2021 01:01 PM

I just got a Ron Brown sling from Creedmoor for my new M1. Extremely pleased with the craftsmanship. I’m used to shooting with the web sling on my M1A, so this is new, slightly more complicated territory. Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the YouTube videos I’ve watched on how to attach it properly. Why do a lot of guys put the frogs on the inside? Weren’t they designed to be on the outside, as to not mar the rifle (or the rifleman’s shoulder when using as a carry strap)?

jimthompson502002 03-07-2021 01:14 PM

slings and hooks

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1Rifleman (Post 2023260)
I just got a Ron Brown sling from Creedmoor for my new M1. Extremely pleased with the craftsmanship. I’m used to shooting with the web sling on my M1A, so this is new, slightly more complicated territory. Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the YouTube videos I’ve watched on how to attach it properly. Why do a lot of guys put the frogs on the inside? Weren’t they designed to be on the outside, as to not mar the rifle (or the rifleman’s shoulder when using as a carry strap)?

There are several different ways to rig M1907's, the "infantry carry" rig being standard. No idea whether this was planned or just happened, albeit I do note B.A.R. men in particular often had their three-hook units set up with the sharp edges of the hooks away from their arms. Another detail many folks miss: Most of those used in the field by infantry were radiused/edge softened--that is, the sharp edges of the "hooks" or "frogs" were rounded or smoothed. MILSCO seems to have done that at the factory, or at least they were pretty uniform. Reason: left sharp, they cut.

My uncle, who was with 101st airborne, rigged his BACKWARDS and had snap pads to go over the hooks made for him in England.

adangelo2020 03-07-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1Rifleman (Post 2023260)
I just got a Ron Brown sling from Creedmoor for my new M1. Extremely pleased with the craftsmanship. Iím used to shooting with the web sling on my M1A, so this is new, slightly more complicated territory. Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the YouTube videos Iíve watched on how to attach it properly. Why do a lot of guys put the frogs on the inside? Werenít they designed to be on the outside, as to not mar the rifle (or the riflemanís shoulder when using as a carry strap)?

As far as the 1907 frogs. I had mine on the inside but the sling keepers cover the frogs and lock them in place on the sling. So the keepers cover up the points protecting the rifle and the rifleman's shoulder in this configuration.

M1Rifleman 03-07-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimthompson502002 (Post 2023269)
There are several different ways to rig M1907's, the "infantry carry" rig being standard. No idea whether this was planned or just happened, albeit I do note B.A.R. men in particular often had their three-hook units set up with the sharp edges of the hooks away from their arms. Another detail many folks miss: Most of those used in the field by infantry were radiused/edge softened--that is, the sharp edges of the "hooks" or "frogs" were rounded or smoothed. MILSCO seems to have done that at the factory, or at least they were pretty uniform. Reason: left sharp, they cut.

My uncle, who was with 101st airborne, rigged his BACKWARDS and had snap pads to go over the hooks made for him in England.

Wow. It was the 101st (through Band of Brothers) that initially got me interested in the M1 many years ago. Do you have any pics of how he rigged it? So interesting!

jimthompson502002 03-07-2021 07:35 PM

slings

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1Rifleman (Post 2023385)
Wow. It was the 101st (through Band of Brothers) that initially got me interested in the M1 many years ago. Do you have any pics of how he rigged it? So interesting!

His daughter may have, but she died a couple of years ago. He showed me on one of my first M1's back in the mid-sixties.

It's simple. Just reverse everything 180 degrees. By the way, the keepers over the hook points doesn't work too well and tends to retire the keepers early. Never actually saw that in old images.

When I was doing more shooting, especially during the molycoated tests, during which I sometimes burned hundreds of rounds a day, I purchased, then had fabricated, and finally made MYSELF, long, loose keepers, intentionally to cover the sharp points of the hooks. Put as many as four on each sling. There's always some pain with research, especially dealing with whackos who won't read the literature or facts and trying to sort out their madness, but actually BLEEDING is not a welcome part of the repertoire I enjoy or encourage. One purchaser of one of my test rifles had a kind of hissy fit about that, I guess because he couldn't figure out how to remove them or erroneously imagined the extra-long, three-hook custom sling was an antique from the forties (which it wasn't, and that was spelled out in great detail LONG before he got it, and clearly shown and identified in the imagery, same as the re-marked salvage butt stock I got from Ronninger). He also sniveled that I'd had ".308" stamped with "RS" over the bogus left-hand markings, also clearly shown in the photos. Some of that, I guess, involves reading comprehension.

But that's digression.

A sling is a shooting aid, a carrying strap, and a trim or furniture item. Rig 'em in whatever manner works for you, or the way that pleases folks--it isn't the holy rites of a religion. If it becomes that, by all means, stick to the infantry norm. If it's a collector's item, fine. That's an "artifact". But if it's eighty years old, don't blame anyone else when it snaps suddenly and dumps your rifle on the cement.