CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP 1911 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Question for buyers in Maryland (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=275175)

Jay_Dubya 01-18-2021 11:33 AM

Question for buyers in Maryland

Do I need to submit a copy of my HQL with my 1911 Round 2 application?

ken792 01-18-2021 11:52 AM

C&R handguns do not require HQL, so it’s not required.

I’m not sure if you can use the HQL as proof of marksmanship activity since it is possible to get one without live fire with one of the training exemptions

cmp1911admin 01-18-2021 09:15 PM

?

What is a HQL?

Jay_Dubya 01-18-2021 09:36 PM

Stands for Handgun Qualification License. It's been around since 2013 and is required to purchase a regulated firearm. I was told it is not required to purchase a C&R handgun.

fly by night 03-03-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay_Dubya (Post 2005779)
Stands for Handgun Qualification License. It's been around since 2013 and is required to purchase a regulated firearm. I was told it is not required to purchase a C&R handgun.

I was told by my FFL that the CMP 1911s were not considered C&R firearms and that an HQL was required to receive one. Just another way to ring the cash register!

FBN

ken792 03-03-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly by night (Post 2021712)
I was told by my FFL that the CMP 1911s were not considered C&R firearms and that an HQL was required to receive one. Just another way to ring the cash register!

FBN

Find another FFL

fly by night 03-03-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken792 (Post 2021729)
Find another FFL

He said the Maryland State Police look at CMP 1911's as regular Colt 45s, which is kinda hard to argue with, since they are fully functional. At any rate I already got my HQL, so it doesn't matter to me.

FBN

And no, I do not believe you need to submit your HQL in your CMP package.

tlock 03-03-2021 09:09 PM

I did not want to take a chance that my application would be denied, so I submitted it with my paperwork, and I happy to say I received a nice Remington Rand.

ken792 03-03-2021 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly by night (Post 2021800)
He said the Maryland State Police look at CMP 1911's as regular Colt 45s, which is kinda hard to argue with, since they are fully functional. At any rate I already got my HQL, so it doesn't matter to me.

FBN

Nothing mentioning CMP gets submitted with the 77R though. It gets entered with the original manufacturer and serial number. MSP would not know if it came from CMP or from another vendor. Maryland’s law mentioning C&R handguns being HQL exempt specifically says C&R by the federal definition. Nothing in either definition says it has to be nonfunctioning.

I know a few people who have gotten their CMP 1911s in MD by checking the C&R exemption on the 77R.

j634 03-03-2021 09:54 PM

This thread is mixing some elements of the application for a MD applicant. Specifically
#3 - Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity
#4 - Legal Eligibility to purchase a Firearm

I personally know someone that used his HQL for #3 in Round 1 and CMP accepted it as proof as "familiarity with safe handling" but specifically called out in the list items "Firearms Owner Identification Card that includes live fire training". I do not speak for the CMP but he as a nice 1911 and I saw it.

I do not have a C&R and to purchase any handgun including a C&R in MD, I do have an HQL. I provided my HQL for #4 Legal Eligibility to purchase a firearm. I submitted a photocopy as proof I can legally purchase a handgun in MD. Yes, I know I can check C&R on my 77R at the FFL once the FFL in MD receives the 1911.

But the CMP requested the following as part of #4 which I read as requesting my HQL for their requirements:
Important: If your State or locality requires you first obtain a license, permit, Firearms Owner ID card or COE in order to posses or receive a pistol, you must include a photo copy of your license, permit or card with the application.

The OP did not mention which item he was asking using the HQL for.