CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Smallbore (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   40X Inaccuracies... Take a Look! (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=75540)

DRAGON64 05-02-2012 03:41 PM

40X Inaccuracies... Take a Look!

Seriously, I do not know what it could be... I'll leave it up to the experts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLT_nCEDoAU&feature=plcp

SMOKEDIVER36 05-02-2012 04:19 PM

Expert not by a long shot but I will give my opinion. I have spent no time shooting from a bench but have shot alot of 100 yard prone.

How much experience with iron peep style sights do you have? The reason I ask is that the number one most important thing about shooting irons is the same cheek weld and eye distance every shot. I watched the video and what I noticed was changing cheek weld and head was moving back and forth on the stock.

If you have checked all the basics and everything is tight on the rifle I would start with form. By the way if I would have shot that first group of 5 out of a cold clean barrel at a 100 yards I would have been happy. The rest probably had alot to do with frustration and mind wonder. I know I would not be able to shoot for groups while wondering "did I buy a lemon". Again just the opinion of a very average shooter. Thanks Ross 3605.

JimF 05-02-2012 04:50 PM

Me-thinks your technique needs some major work!!

For starters, your right elbow appears to NOT be in contact with the bench at the break of the shot!

In addition, the rear sandbag is NOT in contact with the rifle! Why have it there at all?

Improve your bench technique before forming any opinions on the ammo or equipment!

Your video work DOES look impressive, however!! --Jim

DRAGON64 05-03-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMOKEDIVER36 (Post 590043)
Expert not by a long shot but I will give my opinion. I have spent no time shooting from a bench but have shot alot of 100 yard prone.

How much experience with iron peep style sights do you have? The reason I ask is that the number one most important thing about shooting irons is the same cheek weld and eye distance every shot. I watched the video and what I noticed was changing cheek weld and head was moving back and forth on the stock.

If you have checked all the basics and everything is tight on the rifle I would start with form. By the way if I would have shot that first group of 5 out of a cold clean barrel at a 100 yards I would have been happy. The rest probably had alot to do with frustration and mind wonder. I know I would not be able to shoot for groups while wondering "did I buy a lemon". Again just the opinion of a very average shooter. Thanks Ross 3605.

Very little experience with the irons, but for the most part I have considered them fairly stright forward when sighting. Maybe my oversight or assumption about iron sights could be a small percentage of the issue. Cheek weld yes, I could see where that would be an issue of concern. Actually, my whole presen tation to the rifle is quite awkward, as the table is quite low (and slightly unstable) and my seat is too high. These issues definitely affected cheek weld.

It would seem that the consensus across the forums the problem is with my form, and I am 100% inclined to agree.

DRAGON64 05-03-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimF (Post 590062)
Me-thinks your technique needs some major work!!

For starters, your right elbow appears to NOT be in contact with the bench at the break of the shot!

In addition, the rear sandbag is NOT in contact with the rifle! Why have it there at all?

Improve your bench technique before forming any opinions on the ammo or equipment!

Your video work DOES look impressive, however!! --Jim

I guess I do not quite get the whole rear bag thing. For me, trying to align the rifle on the rest and the bag so all you have to do is pull the trigger is a near impossibility... regardless of rest, once I settle in, presentation always changes, and removing the rifle from the bag allows me to control the shot... obviously I am doing it wrong, and have a lot to learn.

glocke12 05-03-2012 07:12 AM

I didn't watch the entire video but here are my thoughts.

First, there are plenty of references on the net and in book form on proper best tench techniques. Look into some of those. Precision shooting has some good resources.

Second start at 25 yards for sighting in your rifle if you haven't done that yet, than move to 100 yards.

Third, ammo. It looks like you may be using wolf? I tried wolf ammo years ago and it was the most inaccurate ammo I ever used.

DRAGON64 05-03-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glocke12 (Post 590457)
I didn't watch the entire video but here are my thoughts.

First, there are plenty of references on the net and in book form on proper best tench techniques. Look into some of those. Precision shooting has some good resources.

Second start at 25 yards for sighting in your rifle if you haven't done that yet, than move to 100 yards.

Third, ammo. It looks like you may be using wolf? I tried wolf ammo years ago and it was the most inaccurate ammo I ever used.

I have not tried 25-yards, I can do that... I can do 100 as well.

What ammo would you recommend then...? The only other ammo I have is a couple bulk bricks from Wally World (Federal & Winchester), and I have a box of Remington Target. All of these have been junk at best.

presidentg 05-03-2012 08:02 AM

If 1 MOA = 1" @ 100 yds. and 1" per 100 yds then at 1 foot 1 MOA = .004". With that in mind, what we do at the trigger has a great deal to do with where that bullet ends up on target. Lock that rifle into a rifle vise and it will shoot wonderfully because the vise is pretty darn consistant. Consistency is the game, bench or position. Are you anywhere near Slippery Rock PA? We're doing an Appleseed this weekend and if I could watch you in action I could probably help you oust the demons.
Otherwise the advice given above is solid info.

glocke12 05-03-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRAGON64 (Post 590461)
I have not tried 25-yards, I can do that... I can do 100 as well.

What ammo would you recommend then...? The only other ammo I have is a couple bulk bricks from Wally World (Federal & Winchester), and I have a box of Remington Target. All of these have been junk at best.

Id try either eley or lapua match ammo..Its more expensive, but both are very consistent. If you just want to test the accuracy of your rifle you don't need to buy more than a couple of boxes....

Also, if your front rest is adjustable, use that to adjust your point of aim by adjusting it up or down, and make sure you have a sandbag on the front rest also.

The rear sandbag should be holding the rifle in place...You do not want to move the rifle..

As far as cheek weld goes, thats important also as someone else mentioned. years ago when I started out shooting I used some painters tape to mark wear my cheek rested.

hope this helps.

presidentg 05-03-2012 08:25 AM

Dragon, having thought for a bit, if you know you aren't mounting the rifle consistantly and that there might be other basic, shooter issues, spending your money on expensive ammo is ill-advised. There's no "magic" ammo nor "magic" rifles. Find a coach, read a book and practice.
How good should a Remington 40X shoot? My reference is the NRA 51 50m smallbore target. The 10 ring is about 1/2 MOA. Certainly the rifle should be able to clean the 10 ring and it's probably better than that. So all things in perfection you should be able to do 1/2" groups @ 100 yds. Funny, it was so easy to type that yet not so easy to do.
Practice, Practice, Practice. Then buy some Center-X.