CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   My Gun DB (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Still supported? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=162903)

GuapoPogi 03-30-2015 04:36 PM

Still supported?
 
I bought the i-phone app and loaded all my firearms past and present. I decided that I wanted to get the full desktop version. When I went to buy it I found that the website won't load properly on my computer. This could be my computer's fault but I noticed that the copy write date for the page is 2011 and I got no response to questions I sent using the contact form.

Is the program still supported? If not is there any better program out there? I need to start a better book now that I have used my C&R FFL to make a purchase for the first time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GuapoPogi

abuck50 03-31-2015 11:27 AM

It doesn't seem to be supported at this time. The last post Wolfrage has made on this forum was Oct. 18th.

dronning 04-02-2015 08:57 PM

try his facebook page, his son was born 3-11-15.

Quote from his FB page
"Despite the complications over the last month, my son was born today :) Introducing Marc Edward - can't wait to get him working on support tickets and coding"

so I'd say he has had other priorities

- Dave

abuck50 04-03-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dronning (Post 1273137)
try his facebook page, his son was born 3-11-15.

Quote from his FB page
"Despite the complications over the last month, my son was born today :) Introducing Marc Edward - can't wait to get him working on support tickets and coding"

so I'd say he has had other priorities

- Dave

Congrats to him for the birth of his son! Still to answer the question, MG Database is not being supported at this time. Hopefully it will be in the near future again.

Bwcritch 04-03-2015 09:52 PM

I understand the new addition to the family, and crongrats for that, but I have been wondering the same thing about the support. I have the product, and like it thus far, but I am starting to have doubts since my original question over a month ago has yet to answered as well as other questions I have seen other members ask.

dronning 04-03-2015 11:58 PM

Did you post the questions on this forum or on the help desk?
http://help.mygundb.com/

also look here your questions may have been answered before:
http://help.mygundb.com/knowledgebase.php

GuapoPogi 04-04-2015 02:35 PM

I used the contact tab on the Mygundb website. I know I did it correctly because I reveived an automated reply with a ticket number with 2 minutes but never received a reply after that. From the quote from his Facebook page it sounds like he had stuff that was a little more important than my question. I'll probably download it tonight.

GuapoPogi

wolfrage 04-10-2015 11:37 AM

I really apologize for the delays! With some medical issues happening, and then my son being born, I have been out of the office. I had brought someone on to help with the support tickets while I was out, but they've been let go. I wasnt' seeing any notifications from the forums for some reason as well - my father, a member here, sent me an email saying there were posts I hadn't responded to. I'm looking into that issue as well as getting caught up on support. I had 978 emails to sort through and I'm down to 175.

The SSL cert for the website had expired and I had purchased a new one and placed a request to have the SSL cert updated on the web server, but it looks like they either messed it up or didn't do the update. I've got a request with them for a status update that I'm waiting to hear back on (ironically)

abuck50 04-10-2015 03:40 PM

I still can't get my I-phone App to sync. So when you get caught up.

GuapoPogi 04-10-2015 07:08 PM

I actually figured out my problem yesterday. I was trying to find the link to the free version to try it out but I was looking from my phone and it seems that you can't see that link on an i-phone. I found it accidentally while looking on my computer at work. It makes sence and now I feel stupid for not thinking of that weeks ago. I'll download it at home on the rarely used desk top tomorrow then if I like it I'll purchase the license next week. I already purchased the app for my i-phone a few weeks ago.

GuapoPogi

Blockhead 04-12-2015 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfrage (Post 1277807)
I wasnt' seeing any notifications from the forums for some reason as well - my father, a member here, sent me an email saying there were posts I hadn't responded to. I'm looking into that issue as well as getting caught up on support. I had 978 emails to sort through and I'm down to 175.

Mine must still be in that 175...

HvyJet 05-06-2015 10:32 PM

I dont think so...
 
I put in a support tickee a couple weeks ago and still no joy.

oh well its only money, a comodity you cannot control



Quote:

Originally Posted by GuapoPogi (Post 1270930)
I bought the i-phone app and loaded all my firearms past and present. I decided that I wanted to get the full desktop version. When I went to buy it I found that the website won't load properly on my computer. This could be my computer's fault but I noticed that the copy write date for the page is 2011 and I got no response to questions I sent using the contact form.

Is the program still supported? If not is there any better program out there? I need to start a better book now that I have used my C&R FFL to make a purchase for the first time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GuapoPogi


rossinfl 05-14-2015 11:28 AM

I've been trying to get support on this software for the past few months. I've spoke with Tom several times, sent emails for Alan, put in help desk tickets, to no avail. Cannot get a response from the support person. I've given up.

MygunDB only runs when it is connected to the internet. That's a big problem when there is no internet connection! As it is now, the software is useless for me.

Anyways, has anyone used NMCollector? I've give up on MYGunDB. It's apparently a dead end product. That's unfortunate because I used to really like the software.

gtodan 05-25-2015 11:40 AM

Well, well. Should of found this thread before purchasing. The purchasing software seems to work just fine. Does not seem to be a problem with taking my money for unsupported software. :rolleyes:

Submerge 06-24-2015 04:46 PM

I've tried the program (limited to 10 entries I think). Seemed to work well.

My concern is long term support and functionality. As many of you know it's a ton of labor to input the data if you have a large collection. I did this with Lotus many years ago and had to give up on that due to loss of support/compatibility with new operating systems.

The backbone of the MGDB appears to be Adobe Aire. I'm assuming this will be supported for a long time but don't know.

So I'm still on the fence.

Blockhead 06-28-2015 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Submerge (Post 1316140)
I've tried the program (limited to 10 entries I think). Seemed to work well.

My concern is long term support and functionality. As many of you know it's a ton of labor to input the data if you have a large collection. I did this with Lotus many years ago and had to give up on that due to loss of support/compatibility with new operating systems.

The backbone of the MGDB appears to be Adobe Aire. I'm assuming this will be supported for a long time but don't know.

So I'm still on the fence.

I haven't been able to transfer my MyGunDB data to a new computer and support has been negligible. Looks like I'll lose a lot of work.

Submerge 06-28-2015 09:27 AM

NM Collector software appears to be better supported. Runs on Java I think.

gtodan 06-28-2015 09:32 AM

The downside to this situation is that CMP does not seem to recognize the issue and keeps the sale link posted. This draws in new customers who discover too late the fail of this software. I contacted them to point out the situation and they seemed oblivious to the situation. Of course it brings them revenue every sale so?

Do not purchase this software. Waste of money.

GuapoPogi 06-29-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtodan (Post 1317754)
Do not purchase this software. Waste of money.

Thankfuly I only purchased the i-phone app. I found out the PC program was broken and nolonger had support before I got around to purchasing it. I ended up just buying the bound book from Brownells for less than $3. I intend to enter all the information for collection in there, then once I have it all entered and in 1 place, I'll revisit the computer option looking into NM Collector.

GuapoPogi

Navy BT1 08-17-2015 05:27 AM

Seeing a lot of fault codes on MGDB. I am afraid to ask if it will work with Windows 10. Really disappointed in the support for this program.

bkennedy 08-19-2015 09:52 PM

I have it on Windows 10 and it works fine

MZ5 09-02-2015 09:49 AM

I love MGDB. Bought the license a few years ago and still receive periodic updates. I've had it running properly on my Linux box, my iMac, and a Windows 7 machine. Now I only have/need it on the Mac platform.

Too bad for everyone's troubles, but IME the program runs well.

bkennedy 09-02-2015 02:21 PM

NavyBT1 I have it on 2 Windows 10 computers and it runs fine.

Range Hound 10-22-2015 09:36 PM

Thanks everyone. I had put in two tickets concerning the broken link issue with autionarms that comes up every time I logon and I had a strange issue where my picture were unlinked from the main record. I had to re-add the pictures and never heard back. Great program and really like it. It would be great to hear if it is going to be supported. I quit updated adobe air because I was afraid that it might quit working as it did a while back on an adobe update.

rgdguns 02-01-2016 08:18 PM

I have put tickets in with no response. Had to reinstall now key is no good.

Bwcritch 02-04-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgdguns (Post 1415236)
I have put tickets in with no response. Had to reinstall now key is no good.

Yep, I've pretty well accepted that they are no longer supported. Not really sure why the CMP Forum would allow them to still have a section if they are not supported anymore, but that not my call. It really stinks because I like the program, but I will be looking for something else pretty soon just so I can transfer everything in my inventory on my terms and not when the program stops working for me.

goryshaw 03-24-2016 08:26 PM

It won't even launch on my Mac Mini running 10.7 server since the last Adobe Air update. I've pretty much given up on it, and keep everything in a few excel spreadsheets anymore instead.

GuapoPogi 03-24-2016 08:38 PM

I've just been using a paper bound book until I work up the motivation to try NM Collector but I'll not waste my time on MGDB again.

GuapoPogi

tda003 05-08-2016 04:53 PM

Just paid thru PayPal and got...Nothing. Will be contacting PayPal. I hope his son is doing better than his program. Who do I contact at CMP?

GuapoPogi 05-08-2016 05:40 PM

Why did you buy this program? Didn't you read this thread first? Its not a CMP program so it is not likely they will do anything for you but maybe your complaint will get them to remove the links to it from the CMP web site. For anyone in the future, don't buy this program. It has many bugs that render it completely broken and unusable for a large numbers of people and there is no support from the developer which means they will not help you get the program to work. They probably don't even monitor the e-mail address anymore. I know I never got replies to my e-mails on my problems.

GuapoPogi

Bwcritch 05-08-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuapoPogi (Post 1466725)
Why did you buy this program? Didn't you read this thread first? Its not a CMP program so it is not likely they will do anything for you but maybe your complaint will get them to remove the links to it from the CMP web site. For anyone in the future, don't buy this program. It has many bugs that render it completely broken and unusable for a large numbers of people and there is no support from the developer which means they will not help you get the program to work. They probably don't even monitor the e-mail address anymore. I know I never got replies to my e-mails on my problems.

GuapoPogi

This is my thought. I have had the program for a while and it still works fine, but I figure that will not be the case shortly, so I have been thinking about what to do to replace it.

tda003 05-08-2016 05:57 PM

Didn't read anything. Just responded to a friends recommendation. Paid by credit card thru PayPal, So will not lose anything. Just a bit angry. Any other software worth pursuing?

tda003 05-08-2016 06:04 PM

Will think some more about this over a piece of bourbon.

Bwcritch 05-08-2016 06:14 PM

There are a few others out there, but they are expensive. I think I am going to create an excel document to document the entire collection. Then within the spread sheet I will have quick links to word documents with the rifle data on it as well as the pictures. It seems like the best way to to it that I have control over. It should also provide several layers of insurance so that if the excel document fails I'll still have the word documents. If one word document gets messed up, it should not effect any others. Plus I can back each word document on a disk.

This is just something I have been thinking about, so I don't have all the bugs worked out, but it should work.

GuapoPogi 05-08-2016 07:57 PM

Broken, no longer supported. Do Not Buy.

GuapoPogi

nmCollector 05-09-2016 08:26 PM

NM Collector Software
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tda003 (Post 1466733)
Didn't read anything. Just responded to a friends recommendation. Paid by credit card thru PayPal, So will not lose anything. Just a bit angry. Any other software worth pursuing?

You might consider the CMP edition of NM Collector Software. I've been writing and supporting gun collecting software since the year 2000 and I will be here for many years. My 20 year old son is studying computer programming in college and will most certainly take over nmcollector.net LLC when I move on. I would say it is a pretty safe bet that my software will continue to work into the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your consideration,

Bwcritch 05-09-2016 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmCollector (Post 1467257)
You might consider the CMP edition of NM Collector Software. I've been writing and supporting gun collecting software since the year 2000 and I will be here for many years. My 20 year old son is studying computer programming in college and will most certainly take over nmcollector.net LLC when I move on. I would say it is a pretty safe bet that my software will continue to work into the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your consideration,

You don't by chance have the ability to transfer data from this program to yours?

nmCollector 05-09-2016 08:37 PM

Transfer data from My Gun DB to NM Collector
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwcritch (Post 1467260)
You don't by chance have the ability to transfer data from this program to yours?

Yes, but it requires some work and the use of Excel or Open Office. Since I cannot control his program I did not want to write an interface that would depend on him not changing his exported file format so I had to make the process generic which means more work for you. Here is what I worked out for another customer a while back. It should still work if the My Gun DB export has not changed.

If you need help please feel free to post your questions to my forum and I will do my best to help.

Thanks,

tda003 05-10-2016 07:32 AM

Received my notification and pass code from My Gun DB. 15 minutes turned to 15 hours (really!). I downloaded it and it, in fact, works. HOWEVER, I keep getting error messages w/ Brownells in them. Close them and everything works. I suspect this was an attempt to link Brownells to the program, probably to try to get some revenue from Brownells. However, he just wasn't able to do it correctly. Thus, the error messages. Why he didn't contract out the customer care part of this, I don't know, but he has missed a golden opportunity to make a comfortable living, since there are many folks outside the military arms collectors with large collections of firearms and other collectibles (stamps, coins, watches, etc.) or even re-loaders desiring to track inventory, who I expect would be interested in a program like this. I expect an enterprising young man with a better business head could reverse engineer this database fairly easily and come up with a very viable (and lucrative) business.

As an aside, I'm going to download the CMP freebie and try both. At some point I'll report, but for the foreseeable future, there's range time and fishing!

Blockhead 05-11-2016 02:57 AM

People are still buying this program? Sadly, I would recommend against that. I began using the program when it was still in the testing phase, but several years ago it stopped working and I've been unable to get any help from the programmer. If someone successfully jumps ship to NM Collector please post here.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.