CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Garand (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Barreled Receiver will not pass tilt test (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=275637)

krdomingue 01-24-2021 10:42 PM

Barreled Receiver will not pass tilt test

Looking for advice before I give up and part it out.

I purchased an HRA barrel receiver in Feb 2016 from somebody on this form who had purchased it from the CMP years prior. It sat around for a while before I collected all the parts to put it together. After I finally got around to it, it will not pass the tilt test with the lower band installed. I have tried with a couple different lower bands including a brand new one off a CMP stock set. I have tried several different op-rods to include a couple off perfectly functioning rifles. I have also tried it will three different gas cylinders.

No lower band, it passes the tilt test. With lower band it fails.

I am hoping I am missing something obvious, but I am beginning to believe the barrel might be slightly bent.

Suggestions?

Jakeroub 01-24-2021 10:45 PM

Have you checked that the barrel is not over or under indexed?

krdomingue 01-24-2021 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakeroub (Post 2008126)
Have you checked that the barrel is not over or under indexed?

No, (and I will now) but it is rubbing against the bottom of band no the side.

lapriester 01-25-2021 12:50 AM

Bent barrel is really the only thing it could be. Find a wooden dowel that freely but barely fits into the bore. It should slide without resistance from the muzzle to the breech. If it binds along the way the barrel is bent. Or and much less likely, the barrel is cross threaded into the receiver somehow.

ceresco 01-25-2021 12:05 PM

Interesting situation.... a wooden dowel isn't exactly a precision gauge. I would be more comfortable with a selected rod from a Harbor Freight set of alignment rods if I didn't have the proper ordinance straightness gauge . Good Shooting. ...

milprileb 01-25-2021 12:32 PM

Well...try all your remedies but if nothing sorts out ...Chuck In Denver is who I'd contact and have him sort it out.

No offense but here you are and it could be something you are not trained to sort out. No shame in that

krdomingue 01-25-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milprileb (Post 2008267)
Well...try all your remedies but if nothing sorts out ...Chuck In Denver is who I'd contact and have him sort it out.

No offense but here you are and it could be something you are not trained to sort out. No shame in that

I have been through the Advance Maintenance Course and don't consider myself a complete novice, but I wouldn't be asking for advise if I thought I knew it all, so no offense taken.

Vos Parate 01-25-2021 01:45 PM

Have you tried a different operating rod?

krdomingue 01-25-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vos Parate (Post 2008289)
Have you tried a different operating rod?

Several.

glindes 01-25-2021 02:49 PM

Is the rear handguard installed, that is, is the lower band on backwards for this test by any chance?