CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   GSSM May 22 2021 Camp Perry (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=278354)

Steve-OH 03-09-2021 11:33 AM

GSSM May 22 2021 Camp Perry

Can anyone offer any insights to a complete newb? From my understanding this match is geared towards learning the ins and outs of participating in cmp matches? Bought a M1 at the north store and would like to start participating. What equipment is essential? What would be the course of fire? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ceresco 03-09-2021 08:11 PM

Fort Wayne Rifle and Revolver Club offers a high power clinic in May--Google them. This is the ideal way to start. Many other clubs similar orientation events, usually classroom instruction followed with an opportunity to shoot. The advantages over trying to learn at a match are obvious. Ask around and check local clubs. Good Shooting. .

Steve-OH 03-10-2021 06:36 AM

In reading the description of the match from the CMP I assumed this was geared towards new CMP shooters.

Competitors of all skill levels are welcome to attend these recreational events – designed to ease new marksmen into fundamental match procedures and to challenge seasoned athletes through friendly competition. Knowledgeable CMP staff members will be on hand at all events to ensure safety on the firing as well as to answer any questions that may arise

It further states "No EIC points will be awarded"

I've shot Clays competitively for years in Ohio and surrounding states. Witnessed the old veterans more than once ridicule the "Bubba" that showed up to shoot with his "Rabbit" gun during practice shoots. I just don't want to be "That Guy" who shows up, not knowing what's going on, and slowing things down for everyone else. :confused:

ceresco 03-10-2021 08:59 AM

Go to top of this page and hit the "competitions" button. It will open to a page that contains the clinics and workshops that CMP and member clubs offer. If you just show up at a Games match, you will be welcome, but there is a better way. Alternatively, there are always individuals that will assist new shooters at any club I have ever attended. You can always attend a match without shooting before you participate. Good Shooting. ....

AWOhio 03-10-2021 09:40 AM

I am a CMP match novice, I've done 2 SAFs schools and 2 additional matches. I have not shot one of these specific Camp Perry matches. So take that into consideration.

I am scheduled for this match myself. Here are my thoughts about the pre-requisites for someone to sign up for this match.
- If you can find a clinic before this match, do that. But IMHO, that isn't 100% required.
- Be familiar with your rife, and know your zero for 100 yards.
- Be familiar with the procedures and course of fire (can be accomplished via you tube and the CMP competition rule book)
- Be familiar with operating in a cold range match environment of some kind, and read the competition rule book for specific CMP procedures.

Other than that, this looks to be a decent event for a first time CMP match. It is electronic targets, so you don't have to deal with the procedures of working in the target pits pulling and marking targets.

For some instructional videos, check out HR Funk's channel on you tube. He posts here sometimes. Here is one example: https://youtu.be/Tx5I9B6N06w

Here is the CMP Rule book:
https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMPGamesRules.pdf

The course of fire should be the "Table 3 - As Issued Military Rifle Course" Which is 10 rounds slow fire prone. 10 rounds rapid fire prone (Starting from a standing position), and 10 rounds slow fire standing unsupported.

The procedures for shooting the 10 rounds rapid prone, from standing, are the ones that you'll need to most familiarize yourself with. That is not an intuitive procedure.

You are in Ohio... How far are you from either the Ohio DNR range in Delaware or Briar Rabbit in Zanesville OH? If you want to meet some weekend at one of those ranges, I'd be happy to give you a tutorial. (BTW, I do take COVID masking seriously, so if we meet, keep that in mind)

For equipment, since this is using electronic targets, I don't think spotting scopes are needed. (I don't think you'll be trying to read wind speed via mirage via scope for your first 100 yard match)

You'll want a shooting mat for the prone stages. You'll need a sling, and you'll need a 2 round enbloc for the rapid fire stage.

So in summary:
- Watch the HR Funk videos
- Read the rule book
- ask some questions
- practice ahead of time
- Shoot the match.

May 22nd gives you plenty of time to get ready. From your user name, it looks like you are not far from Camp Perry, so if you decide to not shoot this match, at least show up and watch.

Finally, taking the SAFS Rifle class at the Nationals July 31 - August 1st is a great way to get started in CMP matches.
https://thecmp.org/training-tech/sma...iring-schools/

Steve-OH 03-10-2021 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWOhio (Post 2024252)
I am a CMP match novice, I've done 2 SAFs schools and 2 additional matches. I have not shot one of these specific Camp Perry matches. So take that into consideration.

I am scheduled for this match myself. Here are my thoughts about the pre-requisites for someone to sign up for this match.
- If you can find a clinic before this match, do that. But IMHO, that isn't 100% required.
- Be familiar with your rife, and know your zero for 100 yards.
- Be familiar with the procedures and course of fire (can be accomplished via you tube and the CMP competition rule book)
- Be familiar with operating in a cold range match environment of some kind, and read the competition rule book for specific CMP procedures.

Other than that, this looks to be a decent event for a first time CMP match. It is electronic targets, so you don't have to deal with the procedures of working in the target pits pulling and marking targets.

For some instructional videos, check out HR Funk's channel on you tube. He posts here sometimes. Here is one example: https://youtu.be/Tx5I9B6N06w

Here is the CMP Rule book:
https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMPGamesRules.pdf

The course of fire should be the "Table 3 - As Issued Military Rifle Course" Which is 10 rounds slow fire prone. 10 rounds rapid fire prone (Starting from a standing position), and 10 rounds slow fire standing unsupported.

The procedures for shooting the 10 rounds rapid prone, from standing, are the ones that you'll need to most familiarize yourself with. That is not an intuitive procedure.

You are in Ohio... How far are you from either the Ohio DNR range in Delaware or Briar Rabbit in Zanesville OH? If you want to meet some weekend at one of those ranges, I'd be happy to give you a tutorial. (BTW, I do take COVID masking seriously, so if we meet, keep that in mind)

For equipment, since this is using electronic targets, I don't think spotting scopes are needed. (I don't think you'll be trying to read wind speed via mirage via scope for your first 100 yard match)

You'll want a shooting mat for the prone stages. You'll need a sling, and you'll need a 2 round enbloc for the rapid fire stage.

So in summary:
- Watch the HR Funk videos
- Read the rule book
- ask some questions
- practice ahead of time
- Shoot the match.

May 22nd gives you plenty of time to get ready. From your user name, it looks like you are not far from Camp Perry, so if you decide to not shoot this match, at least show up and watch.

Finally, taking the SAFS Rifle class at the Nationals July 31 - August 1st is a great way to get started in CMP matches.
https://thecmp.org/training-tech/sma...iring-schools/

Thankyou very much for the informative answer, and the links.

I'm 15 miles west of Camp Perry. I've visited numerous times to watch the matches.

I have a mat on the way. I have a 100 yrd range here at the house and plan on practicing before the match.

One question comes to mind (for now) In regards to the 2 round enblocs. Are these a nessesity? I was under the impression that the 2 rounds needed could be loaded singly? I think I'll pick up a few either way to get used to the procedure. Thanks again!

TLB 03-10-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-OH (Post 2024271)
One question comes to mind (for now) In regards to the 2 round enblocs. Are these a nessesity? I was under the impression that the 2 rounds needed could be loaded singly? I think I'll pick up a few either way to get used to the procedure. Thanks again!

You can insert an enbloc and then add two rounds. You need to practice so the bolt overrides the rounds and a round is not loaded when the bolt closes. I do the "twist-lock" of two rounds in a regular enbloc. Looks something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/eSzFibc.jpg

hebes405 03-12-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-OH (Post 2023964)
Can anyone offer any insights to a complete newb? From my understanding this match is geared towards learning the ins and outs of participating in cmp matches? Bought a M1 at the north store and would like to start participating. What equipment is essential? What would be the course of fire? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As others stated, this is not a clinic. Its also not a leg match. The idea is they are low pressure, for fun matches. If you tell them at registration you are new, they will probably squad you with a veteran who can help you out.

My list is similar as others have already said,
You will absolutely have to have eye and ear protection. You will also have to have an empty chamber indicator (eci). If you don't have one, the CMP will more than likely have extras on match day. Next to rifle, ammo and clips, this is bare bones to get you shooting

A sling would be the next item I would recommend. GI web sing is a great option. A shooting glove to wear on your support hand is also a great aid. A leather work glove would work. Sometimes the sling can be uncomfortable on the back of your hand. A mat of some type would also help as you will be firing on concerte.

When I started competing I showed up with my rifle and a 5 gallon bucket ( to rest my rifle in offhand, I learned that the hard way my first match) with my ammo, an extra water bottle and binoculars in it. I eventually accumulated more gear to make matches more user friendly. Shooting e targets and not needing a spotting scope is ahuge bonus.

Familiarize yourself with the rules and curse of fire. The 80 seconds in rapid fire is a LONG time. Take your time.

hebes405 03-12-2021 11:03 PM

Here is another excellent video.
This is exactly how I would teach you how to single load and load 2 round for rapid fire
https://youtu.be/Bg5GrqU7BTo

AWOhio 03-21-2021 08:49 PM

Which AR?

I am trying to decide which rifle to shoot in Modern Military at Camp Perry in May. . I have a Palmetto 16” carbine with Iron sights that I can get a 355/400 88.75% with in a 40 round match. That rifle will fit in the standard class.

Or I have a Rock River heavy barrel flat top 20” with 4x scope that would be legal in unlimited class that I should be able do do a 365/400 91.25%

I would love to be in say the middle third of the pack. But barring that, I just don’t want to be bringing up the rear. :-)

So which is a more respectable score. 88.75% in standard, or 91.25% in unlimited?

I was doing better with the 20” NM Rock River, but Either the barrel or my skills have dropped off a bit, which has cut a good 10 - 15 points off my Rock River scores. I have 7000-8000 round on that barrel. But fresh barrels are a little scarce right now.

As a lame excuse, I don’t have a shooting coat, and just shoot bulk xm193 ammo.