CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Reloading (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   30-06 stuck cases (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=283152)

Tcheeks38 06-13-2021 09:54 PM

30-06 stuck cases

Really embarrassed but here goes:

Just got my RCBS 30-06 dies today and set them up. 1st case has a lot of friction going in. I stopped and pulled out and applied lube 3 times with my usual spray method of lee lube mixed with alcohol sprayed liberally. Case gets stuck and sheers off the rim coming out. I am able to remove the stuck case.

Try again thinking i need more lube. This time I rub the lube from the tube directly on the case neck and a tad inside the neck. Still takes a ridiculous amount of force compared to .223 and 300 blackout (lee dies for those). It does go in a little smoother but like I said, alot more force than my other rifle calibers. While trying to pull the case out on the down stroke, my 1" wood top snapped at the rear bolt where it holds the press in place...

Am I doing something wrong? Are my dies defective? Is there something wrong with RCBS or something I need to do differently with 30-06?

These are once fired FC brass and the first one was RP.

ceresco 06-13-2021 10:31 PM

Well: You were lucky to get the damaged case out. Additional lube should be applied to the case body and particularlyto the lower, web area, not the neck or inside. Difficult FL resizing factors: excessive case expansion is from full pressure loads and oversize chambers. The resizing die inner surfaces and dimensions--small base die?? Lube. Any will generally work but some are better. I suggest cleaning the cases (and dies) well, using a sizing lube such as Imperial wax and withdrawing cases for more lube immediately if you sense difficulty. Diluted lube is asking for trouble, especially if it isn't allowed to dry. With adequate lube and relubing if needed, you should be able to resize any case. The initial resizing is sometimes more difficult, but really should not be problematic. Subsequent reseizing will be easier if lower pressure loads are used. What type of rifle were they from?? What load?? Good Shooting. ...

jeremy69 06-13-2021 10:38 PM

Are you using small base dies? Any spray lube needs to dry, the alcohol or whatever needs to evaporate so only lube remains. I have found the Imperial wax to be the best on difficult cases.

Tcheeks38 06-13-2021 10:38 PM

Am i supposed to lube the whole case body? .223 and 300 blackout always told me just to do the necks.

ceresco 06-13-2021 10:43 PM

?? Where did you ever see advice to only lube case necks?? The standard is to only lube case body. What reference material are you reading. The Lyman book is excellent. Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler-- all good. Good Shooting. ...

Tcheeks38 06-13-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceresco (Post 2054176)
Well: You were lucky to get the damaged case out. Additional lube should be applied to the case body and particularlyto the lower, web area, not the neck or inside. Difficult FL resizing factors: excessive case expansion is from full pressure loads and oversize chambers. The resizing die inner surfaces and dimensions--small base die?? Lube. Any will generally work but some are better. I suggest cleaning the cases (and dies) well, using a sizing lube such as Imperial wax and withdrawing cases for more lube immediately if you sense difficulty. Diluted lube is asking for trouble, especially if it isn't allowed to dry. With adequate lube and relubing if needed, you should be able to resize any case. The initial resizing is sometimes more difficult, but really should not be problematic. Subsequent reseizing will be easier if lower pressure loads are used. What type of rifle were they from?? What load?? Good Shooting. ...

The brass was bought from someone else. Factory ammo all same headstamp range pickups.

Tcheeks38 06-13-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceresco (Post 2054182)
?? Where did you ever see advice to only lube case necks?? The standard is to only lube case body. What reference material are you reading. The Lyman book is excellent. Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler-- all good. Good Shooting. ...

Can't remember where I read it but I remember seeing something along the lines of "dont get lube on the shoulder because it will dent the shoulder.

ceresco 06-13-2021 10:53 PM

Well, you got that part right. Good Shooting. ...

rcolarco 06-14-2021 04:19 AM

Gotta lube the whole case including the shoulder. Too much lube may cause shoulder dents, but they are inconsequential. Do not dilute the lube with anything, it is formulated to work as is.

Must let it dry thoroughly before sizing.

I have been using Dillon spray lube for years, never a problem.

ceresco 06-14-2021 07:09 AM

Actually......very little lube is necessary under normal conditions. I typically touch my index finger and thumb to the Imperial Die Sizing Wax every 3-4 cases and apply some to the case when I move it to the die. I used to make an effort to cover most of the case body. Now I make sure that 30-40% of the case body gets some on it. This is enough unless I feel resistance, in which case, I pull the case back out enough to apply additional lube. Once some experience is obtained, the cases have so little lube left on them that removing it is unnecessary. Any cases that are questionable or cause noticable resistance get a full coating. I realize that all this requires some experience and getting that experience included removing a number of stuck cases along the way. Individuals new to sizing cases can use plenty of lube and remove the excess--at least until they are prepared to remove stuck cases. Good Shooting.....