CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Auction (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Auction Bid Posting (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=4517)

steelap 12-25-2009 02:24 PM

Auction Bid Posting

I am confused.

I thought I remembered that, in the past, when a person posted a maximum bid, it was hidden, and only enough shown to maintain high bidder (sort of like ebay or Gunbroker).

Also, according to the FAQs:

"Q. What is a “PROXY BID OR MAXIMUM BID”?
A. Basically you enter the most you would be willing to pay and as other users bid on the item, the Auction will automatically bid for you again (in stated bid increments) all the way up to the amount of your maximum bid. Example: Someone has bid $200 on an item in which you are interested. You are willing to pay as much as $400 for the item, but don’t want to bid that high unless forced to. You enter a maximum bid of $400. The auction will record your bid as $205. If someone were to bid $250 on the item, the auction would automatically enter a bid for you of $255, and keep doing so each time someone bid over you, up to the maximum of $400 you authorized."

However, when I posted a max bid on an auction today, that amount is what was posted as the current bid. I was then listed as high bidder. Since I thought that I was barely winning the auction, I submitted a new maximum. My new maximum was then listed as the current high bid. I have emailed you with specifics.

Has something changed, am I mis-remembering, did I do something wrong, or is the auction proxy bid software mis-behaving?

Fishman 12-25-2009 02:48 PM

Same thing happened to me a couple of days ago.I emailed the auction site.No response yet.
So no,your not mis-remembering.[Unless we're both loosin it.]
Merry Christmas.

Flash 12-25-2009 03:28 PM

Same thing happened to me today. I put in a maximum bid, which then showed as the new bid. I thought, well maybe coincidently that was what was needed to exceed the other person's maximum. Later someone outbid me, and their bid is showing more than the one bid increment required to exceed what I know was my maximum in place. I also got a email that I was outbid and the new price reflected in the email was actually my old bid, not what was needed to exceed the current high bidder.

I DID note that the required bid increments have been increased and that doesn't account for what happened. The person who bid after me showed a successful bid more than twice the required increment to exceed what I had posted. It looks like maximum bids are getting treated as actual. I was searching to see if something changed in the process??

I also sent an email to the auction site with specifics.

Louisxllx 12-26-2009 11:15 AM

bids

An M1A1 has a bid listed as $136,500. I wonder if that is a donation to CMP or a mistake?

kid2old 12-26-2009 02:30 PM

The proxy bid and bid increments changed about 3 weeks ago. Now ypur high bid is what is posted.

steelap 12-26-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisxllx (Post 34153)
An M1A1 has a bid listed as $136,500. I wonder if that is a donation to CMP or a mistake?

I am SO glad to see that wasn't the one I was looking at!

Actually, per the White House press release, the bid is part of the new Stimulus Bill enacted by Congress. If it wins, similar bids will be placed on all firearms auction sites around the country, and on every weapon auction. This will serve two purposes - first to place a large amount of money into the economy, and second, to remove as many firearms as possible from circulation. :D

steelap 12-26-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kid2old (Post 34236)
The proxy bid and bid increments changed about 3 weeks ago. Now ypur high bid is what is posted.

How do they determine selling cost - as the highest posted bid? Yuck!

CMPBrian 12-26-2009 05:21 PM

Sorry guys... we are experiencing technicalities with the proxy bid and have been for a few weeks. I have been corresponding back and forth with the software company, and I am awaiting a response for the reason the bidding is acting as it is. My advise would be to just make small increments till we can resolve this issue. If the software keeps malfunctioning as it is, we will have to shut the auction site down, and consider a new software to host the site. As for the delayed response, CMP has shut the doors for the holidays, and I will not be able to respond to emails till monday.

God Bless and Merry Christmas to ALL!!

steelap 12-26-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMPBrian (Post 34307)
As for the delayed response, CMP has shut the doors for the holidays, and I will not be able to respond to emails till monday.

God Bless and Merry Christmas to ALL!!

Lord have mercy, Brian! Who do you think you are, answering on a holiday weekend - Orest?

NOBODY expected a response before Monday, and that at the earliest. You put your feet up, relax, and don't even turn on the computer

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

alexander

"Life is Good!"

lucky52 12-28-2009 12:02 AM

Who bid $136,500 on that m1a1?