CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1A/M14 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Dreaming of CMP M14 Sales (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=273405)

nf1e 12-15-2020 03:39 PM

It was much easier for the CMP to dump their supply of parts onto commercial builders and be done with them. I understand that's were Dupage got theirs in trade for M1 stocks. May only be a rumor, but would make perfect sense.

terry_b 12-15-2020 08:00 PM

I feel that we were lucky the CMP took over from DCM and made it their mission(not officially, but...) to get as many surplus arms, both domestic stocks and foreign) as possible out of the hands of the government and the gun crushers and into civilian hands. Prior to the establishment of the CMP there were loads of these guns being destroyed. Now to get them back into government possession is darn near impossible. Especially as original owner pass on and the guns get passed down via private sale and disappear.

HoosierBuddy 12-16-2020 08:14 AM

I thought this through to the point of figuring out a price point.

The 1911 program is selling service grade handguns at 1050 vs Colt's MSRP on a 1911 Classic (new) of $800...so 30% more than a common modern example of the same gun.

If instead we use the SA Standard M1A price point of $1700...that "backs in" to a service grade price of about $2250 per rifle. If it costs $500 per rifle to inspect, modify (once we get the whole "NOT ALLOWED BY BATF" out of the way LOL), process orders and ship....then if 5000 rifles could be processed per year that would create a net cash flow of +$8.75 Million per year for around 15 years...or $130 Million in total....and that's a conservative estimate.

Just sayin.

Step 1 is finding a congressman and a senator and explaining the dream to them.

Phil

GotSnlB28 12-16-2020 09:18 AM

Nice dream, but given current circumstances even less likely to happen, more likely even go the other direction. But if it does I'll be in line and hoping for a "luck of the draw" TRW :)

navyrifleman 12-18-2020 08:43 AM

The most accurate high power rifle I ever shot was my National Match M-14. I was still on active duty and the rifle was issued to me from the Naval Weapons Center at Crane, Indiana where their match armorers had produced it from an issue rifle.

The selector switch had been permanently altered or disabled, so there was no full automatic mode available.

It had an oversize walnut stock that had been quarter sawn, so the grain seen from the side was tight and straight. Of course it had been glass bedded. The barrel was a heavy stainless steel match one. Sights looked like the issue type, but were of Match grade with interim clicks. There were other modifications also to make it a very tight gun.

We used the leather issue slings which were always new and NOT oiled. Magazines were new issue 20 round types which were marked for use with 2 or eight rounds in the timed fire events.

The rifle was on the heavy side when compared to a hunting rifle or even an issue M-14, but what a tack driver!

petera 12-18-2020 11:47 AM

The best high power rifle I shot was an M14 built by Hook Boutin when I was with an Army AMTU team. No, I will not engage in inter service rivalry here.

Mark1 12-18-2020 01:18 PM

Nice dream and I would like one also. But with the incoming administration and their views on guns it will not happen. I just hope the CMP gets the other(s) allotment of 1911's.

Danny 12-22-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierBuddy (Post 1995330)
Hey guys,

Imagine a world where legislation (similar to the 1911 legislation a few years ago) would direct the Department of Defense to start shipping the 80,000 or so M14's in surplus inventory to the CMP.

Imagine the same world where the CMP would be authorized to reintroduce foreign (US sold/donated) M14's back into the US (similar to the Philippine Garand's they recently brought back).

OK...now that we have the fantasy steps out of the way that will never happen, let's get onto the practical issues.

1. They'd have to be converted to semi-automatic fire only.
2. CMP would have to run a lottery like they did for the 1911
3. Prices would be high. Like the 1911 likely high enough we'd all have to take a deep breath before putting it on a credit card.
4. Auction Prices for higher grade rifles would make the "high price" in 3. above seem trivial.

Yeah...it's just a dream...but...you know....so was the whole 1911 thing a few years ago.

Put me down for one.

Phil

Not going to happen.....EVER. Same odld dream/topic, same unfortunate reality.

Danny 12-22-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark1 (Post 1996226)
Nice dream and I would like one also. But with the incoming administration and their views on guns it will not happen. I just hope the CMP gets the other(s) allotment of 1911's.

This has nothing to do with the incoming administration.

Mark1 12-23-2020 03:40 PM

The National Defense Authorization Act must approve the sale of Government firearms. As they did for the 1911's to the CMP. And the NDA is a Government agency. So yes the incoming administration can effect the sale(s). Just as the Obama administration killed the sale/purchase of the South Korean Garands and carbines.