X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rrob
    • Jan 2013

1903 original sling from 1940 1903a3 worth

Inherited a Rem 1903a3 rifle (no bayonet) and a original Boyd's sling in near perfect condition, and was wondering what the value would be? should I keep it on the A3 Springfield rifle that is in what I would say is great condition, or place it on my Greek Air Force return Service Grade Special, that is now properly corrected with the right stock, metal, and screws, and appears to be an unfired rifle, in absolute pristine condition to enhance its value. What say you experts on the matter
  • Kleanbore 1
    • Oct 2009

PM sent

Comment

• 7,62x51mm
      • Oct 2009

quite rare to find a Boyt dated 1940 sling, could you post a photo ?

Comment

• Mark1
        • Oct 2009

Is it dated 1940 or from the 1940's.

Comment

• 7,62x51mm
          • Oct 2009

I have a Boyt dated 42 with brass hooks and another Boyt dated 42 with steel hooks but would like to see something dated before 42

Comment

• Mark1
            • Oct 2009

I have not seen any Boyt sling dated earlier than 1942. They started manufacturing them with brass frogs. Then changed to steel in later 42. The brass was needed for the war effort. The Boyt slings were dated 1942, 1943 and 1944.

Comment

• rrob
              • Jan 2013

Went to look for the sling today thought I put it in the safe and hard to get in the as the room is packed pretty tight so much stuff . I do know 100% that I have it have just a process of finding it, should turn up hopefully by tomorrow. I do not recall what date the boyt sling is, never said 1940, but it might very well be as the Remington 03 it was on was I believe dated 40' and looks complete and original I recall that the hooks on the boyt sling were brass. It was in my friends dad's house which he inherited and it was stored in the attic of the home and was probably stored there since the war. Did see it back in 69' when I was helping my friend do some work in the attic. I'll get more info and hopefully get my son to post pictures as soon as possible. Side note: he also gave me an all matching serial number, Nagoya type 14 Nambu with the matching original holster and correct, nickeled bottom, numbered magazine, with that rifle sorry for the delay

Comment

• T38Carbine
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by rrob View Post
                I do not recall what date the boyt sling is, never said 1940, but it might very well be as the Remington 03 it was on was I believe dated 40' and looks complete
                Remington began production of the M1903 in September 1941, at serial number 3,000,000, using old tooling from the Rock Island Arsenal which had been in storage since 1919.

Comment

• rrob
                  • Jan 2013

Perhaps I am wrong once again, tried to recall best I could so best to wait until I pull everything out and look at everything as now getting up there and the amount of stuff accumulated over the many decades is substantial, my memory looks to be fading badly.

Comment

• Col. Colt
                    • Oct 2013

Generally, I prefer to keep "Original with Original", if possible - particular if I know the two items have always been a "set" since returning from military use. These two items appear to have a history together of many decades. I would not separate them.

But many of the parts we discuss here have extra value, and if cash money is more important to you, well, you have your answer. CC

Comment

• 7,62x51mm
                      • Oct 2009

interesting sling

I have an excellent condition 1907 sling marked BT & B Co, no inspector initials and without any date. It is a Belber Trunk & Bag Co, Philadelphia Pa manufactured sling late WW1 and post war. Took awhile to find out the data, it came on a WW2 M1 rifle

Comment

• Beltfed
                        • Nov 2018

I have several bass frog slings. I never paid much attention to them. How do you tell if it’s a Boyt sling?

Comment

Working...
                        X