CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   April 5 GSVM Match at Camp Perry (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=259516)

AWOhio 02-23-2020 11:07 PM

April 5 GSVM Match at Camp Perry

I've been to Camp Perry twice before for SAFS, and want to shoot at the April 5th 2020 match.

I see that first shots are at 9am. What time do I need to arrive on the day of the event?

Is it possible to shoot 2 different rifles that day? Would want to shoot Garand and Modern Military (M16a1 clone).

Petrarca is a 100 yard range and electronic targets, right? With it being electronic targets, is there any reason to bring a spotting scope other than for reading mirage for the wind?

Is this match a 30 round (10 slow prone, 10 rapid prone, 10 slow standing) or a 50 round (20 slow prone, 10 rapid prone, 10 rapid sitting, 10 slow standing) match?

Since these are electronic targets, how does the match go, is it similar to the paper target matches where the entire firing line is in sync with each other? Or is it individual competitors arriving on the firing line, shooting their full course of fire, and then leaving? (or some other method)

TLB 02-24-2020 10:49 AM

There are 6 relays scheduled and relays are paired, so theoretically you could fire 3 different rifles if scheduling allowed.

Course A 30 rounds and 5 sighters (SP, RP, standing)

AWOhio 02-24-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLB (Post 1914931)
There are 6 relays scheduled and relays are paired, so theoretically you could fire 3 different rifles if scheduling allowed.

Course A 30 rounds and 5 sighters (SP, RP, standing)

Thanks

AWOhio 02-25-2020 10:27 PM

When I signed up for the match today, the schedule became more clear.

Relays start at 9am, 11am, and 1pm. So first shots at 9. And you can request your preferred squadding for each match that you choose to enter. And as TLB stated, you could participate in as many as 3 matches.

What I am not sure of is when you have to show up at Petrarca on Sunday morning, and when you will find out your assigned squadding if it differs from what you requested.

rubicon762 03-02-2020 10:06 AM

Thanks for posting! I was not aware of this match.

AWOhio 03-10-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWOhio (Post 1915430)
When I signed up for the match today, the schedule became more clear.

Relays start at 9am, 11am, and 1pm. So first shots at 9. And you can request your preferred squadding for each match that you choose to enter. And as TLB stated, you could participate in as many as 3 matches.

What I am not sure of is when you have to show up at Petrarca on Sunday morning, and when you will find out your assigned squadding if it differs from what you requested.

FYI, I called the CMP office to get some additional details. They recommend getting to Petrarca 30-45 minutes before your relay to get your score card and get your trigger weighed. I asked how to know if I got my requested relay times, and the woman on the phone said that I would be getting the time slots that I requested. Am looking forward to the the match. Now I just have to get some practice and decide between my M14 clone and my m16a1 clone for modern military.

AWOhio 03-16-2020 08:55 PM

A bummer, but understandable. It is canceled.

I got out practicing last weekend, and got a new personal best with my Fulton Armory m14, and with my Garand. Neither score was good enough to brag on, so I won’t mention the score. :-)

And I did well with my m16a1 clone. I still do better with the M14 than the m16a1. The pencil barrel is so susceptible to sling pressure. Really need to be consistent or your zero really wanders.

ceresco 03-16-2020 09:45 PM

Easy change to a free float handguard. I prefer the ones that look like a knurled black aluminum tube. Rig up a front sling swivel and you will virtually eliminate problems with sling tension. Good Shooting. ...

AWOhio 04-30-2020 10:13 AM

FYI, refunds are still pending for the April 5th match. They won’t be processed until after the staff is back in the office, but they will be coming.