CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ask Each Other (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Hog Hunting With An M1 (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=290406)

Tothemax 12-12-2021 03:45 PM

Thanks.

I was impressed that the sst knocked him down. I have to figure out my elevation drum settings though. That bothers me.

pickax 12-12-2021 04:15 PM

Dan, I wouldn't worry to much on the elevation drum, Just a heat of the moment thing in my opinion. You came through just fine.
Gary, yes they are truly feral, I was scared for my life, armed with a recurve bow in tall pampas grass with them all around within 5 feet. They moved through, One of those times we have all survived and lived to tell.

Tothemax 12-12-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickax (Post 2099276)
Dan, I wouldn't worry to much on the elevation drum, Just a heat of the moment thing in my opinion. You came through just fine.
Gary, yes they are truly feral, I was scared for my life, armed with a recurve bow in tall pampas grass with them all around within 5 feet. They moved through, One of those times we have all survived and lived to tell.

Thanks.

I honestly need more time and training with the m1 at varying distances. My buddy has a sweet steel setup I need to get out to.

sigman2 12-12-2021 09:58 PM

Dan, you said you were dead on at 100 yards with a 6 o'clock hold. Was your group impacting at 6 o'clock or were you going for the bullseye? If the group was not at 6 o'clock, how high was it above it?

Tothemax 12-13-2021 12:38 AM

13 clicks up at 100 yards, while holding a 6 o'clock hold with the blade at the bottom of the target produced a dead center hit. My group was a little over 1 moa.

The target size was a standard size. 18"? Or 24" target?

Trepang 12-13-2021 06:10 AM

I grew up on a farm in the Midwest.
Worked with pigs, cows, goats, sheep....etc

A sow with pigs is flat out dangerous.
She turns on you, pins you against the fence or gets you on the ground and you are done.

I'd rather deal with a pi$$ed off bull anytime.

The few times I have went pig hunting I carried a S&W 686+ with seven rounds of Winchester PDX .357 on my hip in addition to my .45-70

Eliyahu 12-13-2021 07:47 AM

I was told, years ago, to always carry a stout handgun when there's hogs around, they consider us food!

Eli

sfc higgins 12-13-2021 10:27 AM

I've seen what a boar hog (large and small) can do. Good advice to make sure you have enough gun to keep them off you. My Dad had a 65 chevy truck that had lots of damaged and beat up sheet metal from angry hogs. I wouldn't want to run up on them. I was out at night leading a patrol and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. When we walked into a group of wild hogs I had to grab a scared and frightened soldier by his collar to keep him from running blindly through the woods, he could have ran right into a tree!

Det. Jason 714 12-13-2021 10:39 AM

Lol-Yeppers

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfc higgins (Post 2099430)
I've seen what a boar hog (large and small) can do. Good advice to make sure you have enough gun to keep them off you. My Dad had a 65 chevy truck that had lots of damaged and beat up sheet metal from angry hogs. I wouldn't want to run up on them. I was out at night leading a patrol and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. When we walked into a group of wild hogs I had to grab a scared and frightened soldier by his collar to keep him from running blindly through the woods, he could have ran right into a tree!

Hoenfels Germany comes to mind with wild pigs. Night patrols got sporty at times.

hugh.sutherland 12-13-2021 09:24 PM

Jason- Hohenfels and Grafenwoehr were both full of them as I am sure you remember. Our brigade (2nd Brigade 3rd ID) shot some with the coax one night during gunnery at Graf and got in trouble with the game warden. The gunners claimed that they were hotspots that looked like dismounts. I rarely saw them during the day, but one day at the cantonment area I saw a sounder of massive pigs and kept out of the way. I felt much better around them when I was in armor with a machine gun or cannon.