CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ask Each Other (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Hog Hunting With An M1 (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=290406)

BobJ50 12-13-2021 10:51 PM

Did some hog hunting in the Lake Okeechobee area 25+ years ago. I used a M1 carbine with 110 grain Norma SP and carried a M1911A1 for back-up. Dogs would generally be used to chase the pigs and if you were lucky you could get some shots in as the pigs ran. The 110 grain usually worked if you got good placement. Best thing about the carbine was that it was easy to carry and run with thru the palmetto...and you had 15 rounds if a hog decided to come after you. Best long-distance shot was at least 200 yards but still needed to run it down and finish it off.
We always had a hunter or two who would show up with a scoped rifle [which was usually never sighted properly] and not only never killed a hog, but was never again invited to hunt with our group on a VERY large fruit and cattle ranch.
*early morning around water holes almost always drew game.

sigman2 12-14-2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tothemax (Post 2099389)
13 clicks up at 100 yards, while holding a 6 o'clock hold with the blade at the bottom of the target produced a dead center hit. My group was a little over 1 moa.

The target size was a standard size. 18"? Or 24" target?

That could have been your problem, or part of it. Sighted in at 100 yards and hitting dead center with a 6 o'clock hold means that you are hitting high by whatever the radius is. An 8" black would put you 4" high at 100 yards.

JimF 12-15-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigman2 (Post 2099842)
That could have been your problem, or part of it. Sighted in at 100 yards and hitting dead center with a 6 o'clock hold means that you are hitting high by whatever the radius is. An 8" black would put you 4" high at 100 yards.

Yup . . . .
That’s why one should sight-in so as to put the POI at the top of the POA!
When using any round bull as a target, the so-called “Navy Hold”, or putting the top of the front sight blade in the CENTER of the bull, (NOT 6 o’clock) is the way to go.
Likewise, when using a bead front sight, COVERING the bull (or game animal) with the bead is appropriate.

Prince Humperdink 12-15-2021 02:09 PM

Dan,
Too bad you hadn't picked up that .308,you would have scored more :D Great job,Bud!

Tothemax 12-15-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimF (Post 2099950)
Yup . . . .
That’s why one should sight-in so as to put the POI at the top of the POA!
When using any round bull as a target, the so-called “Navy Hold”, or putting the top of the front sight blade in the CENTER of the bull, (NOT 6 o’clock) is the way to go.
Likewise, when using a bead front sight, COVERING the bull (or game animal) with the bead is appropriate.

I will have to reconfirm at the range the next time I make it out. If that is the case I will drop the elevation down a few clicks and see where I am at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink (Post 2099996)
Dan,
Too bad you hadn't picked up that .308,you would have scored more :D Great job,Bud!

I know! Maybe I will have it to use next time I go. :)