CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ask Each Other (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Hog Hunting With An M1 (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=290406)

Tothemax 11-29-2021 04:13 PM

Hog Hunting With An M1

Hey guys. Has anyone here done this? Did you use ball ammo or hunting ammo?

I am going on a hunt here in a few weeks and I am thinking of dragging my winchester along. I could make up some sst rounds for it but I have a bunch of ball ammo I was hoping to use.

Thoughts?

Det. Jason 714 11-29-2021 04:31 PM

Dec 41 WRA ball ammo. One hog sucked up 5 center mass shots. but most were one.
https://i.imgur.com/v7Btoj3l.jpg

navyrifleman 11-29-2021 04:55 PM

While you could certainly hit and even kill a hog with ball ammo, I would recommend using soft point ammo of about the same grain weight that you are used to shooting, so that trajectory and sight settings might be close to what you have practiced with.

One well placed shot from a good quality soft point .30-06 should do the trick. The key is to practice shooting what you will be using on your hunt. Good luck!

bob loughlin 11-29-2021 04:55 PM

I've shot many hogs with my Garand and even my Carbine , but have never gotten more than one shot off before they vanish into the brush . Fast little rascals . Always Ball Ammo. Bob

bruce 11-29-2021 08:09 PM

Have used M-1 rifles for hunting since 1995. Have had complete success on medium to larger deer using 150 gr. pointed soft-point ammo by Winchester and PMC. Never needed a second shot. All shots under 150 yds. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.

pickax 11-29-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob loughlin (Post 2096149)
I've shot many hogs with my Garand and even my Carbine , but have never gotten more than one shot off before they vanish into the brush . Fast little rascals . Always Ball Ammo. Bob

Yes hogs are tough! Had a friend shoot one point blank and saw the skull cap blow off. We couldn't find it later.
Have shot many with my Rem. 742 in '06 cal. The trick is to put 2 shots in the boiler room from a rear angle.
The front 'shield' on a hog is quite strong and will deflect a bullet.
Nasty animals, and not worth eating over 80 #lbs. IMO.

sigman2 11-29-2021 08:58 PM

Ball ammo will certainly kill a hog. However, your chances of losing it are greater.
A well placed soft point will drop them much quicker. I would recommend a 150 or 165 gr. soft point.
https://www.hogmanoutdoors.com/blog/...kill-shoot-hog

captaincalc 11-30-2021 05:44 AM

Don't forget the bayonet...

Kilo-Sierra 11-30-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Det. Jason 714 (Post 2096135)
Dec 41 WRA ball ammo. One hog sucked up 5 center mass shots. but most were one.
https://i.imgur.com/v7Btoj3l.jpg

Well done!

Keith

Tothemax 12-01-2021 08:49 PM

Made it out to the range today. At 100 yards I was 13clicks up from the basement. It was destroying steel with a 6 o'clock hold. I need to adjust my lockbar elevation drum to match.

Not too bad with winds out of the west at 20-30MPH. Think I will load up a bunch of those and take them to TX.

Tothemax 12-06-2021 08:43 PM

Today I made 50 150Gr SST rounds to take. That should be enough. Hopefully one or two of those will take down a pig while I am there. :)

sigman2 12-06-2021 10:19 PM

Good luck! Stay safe and enjoy your hunt.

Tothemax 12-09-2021 10:04 AM

Just finishing up the first morning. I sat in one area for a few hours and didn't see anything. I am still getting used to the ranches style but hopefully we get out and about later. No shots fired yet.

captaincalc 12-10-2021 06:34 AM

I've used both my Winchester and my Swedish Mauser on hogs (in TX hill country). Both do the job nicely. Also used my 1911. Well placed shots are the rule there. In the by-the-way dept, I've mostly hunted with a blade and as most of you know a bayonet is a blade. I've used one often and it puts the hog hunting experience on a whole different level. This is FYI to whoever dumped my bayonet message.

mjudge 12-10-2021 08:16 AM

Tothemax: Have fun in TX. Am familiar with the Fort Hood / Fort Bliss areas. Weather will be much nicer there than back home in MT. Looking forward to the reports on your experience.

Tothemax 12-10-2021 10:23 AM

I didn't take my bayonet as I was bumping thr weight limit. Oh well.

Nothing seen last night. This morning I took a shot at two runners in thick timber. No joy.

Hopefully we will go walking and flush a bunch out this afternoon.

Gunsling3r1988 12-11-2021 08:57 PM

I've never taken one hog hunting, but I have been deer hunting some with a Garand, haven't had the chance to get one with it yet, but I want to.

Tothemax 12-12-2021 02:10 PM

Well we are on the bus heading back to Dallas.

The trip overall was successful. It took me multiple days until I actually got the chance to see and shoot at some hogs as they were bedded down and not moving. The first one was a small one on the run which I shot at and missed.

The next day I saw another small one at 30 yards and shot. Missed. He ran and I tried again. Miss. I was starting to get frustrated as other guys were starting to rack up the numbers. Then again they all had optics and or thermal scopes.

Finally on the 2nd to last day I got on a larger hog and had the chance to shoot at 50ish yards. I hit him in the leg as he ran away from me. He turned and ran towards me and I launched a few more rounds at him.he finally went down and I ended up putting a few rounds of 45 into him to get him to die.

I had my m1 set at 100 yards on the elevation which when I sighted it in I was dead on with a 6 o clock hold. So I dropped the elevation down to zero and kept on moving.

We got onto a large hog and my buddy shot and hit it. It got up and started to run. I hit it in the front shoulder on the run and it dropped. It was a nice looking white and brown hog. We missed the largest hog by 1 lb.

So when I get a chance I need to see why I was so off with my elevations on the first pig. I felt like I should be an inch ot two low at close up but maybe it was just poor shooting?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFile...27-2201286.jpg

150gr Hornady SST they pulled out of his shoulder.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFile...14-2201287.jpg

T38Carbine 12-12-2021 02:24 PM

Here piggy piggy…nice job!!

pickax 12-12-2021 03:28 PM

Congrats on the brindle, Tough buggers aren't they!
Hornady SST did well too.
Hopefully they've been on good mast and will be tasty.

Tothemax 12-12-2021 03:45 PM

Thanks.

I was impressed that the sst knocked him down. I have to figure out my elevation drum settings though. That bothers me.

pickax 12-12-2021 04:15 PM

Dan, I wouldn't worry to much on the elevation drum, Just a heat of the moment thing in my opinion. You came through just fine.
Gary, yes they are truly feral, I was scared for my life, armed with a recurve bow in tall pampas grass with them all around within 5 feet. They moved through, One of those times we have all survived and lived to tell.

Tothemax 12-12-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickax (Post 2099276)
Dan, I wouldn't worry to much on the elevation drum, Just a heat of the moment thing in my opinion. You came through just fine.
Gary, yes they are truly feral, I was scared for my life, armed with a recurve bow in tall pampas grass with them all around within 5 feet. They moved through, One of those times we have all survived and lived to tell.

Thanks.

I honestly need more time and training with the m1 at varying distances. My buddy has a sweet steel setup I need to get out to.

sigman2 12-12-2021 09:58 PM

Dan, you said you were dead on at 100 yards with a 6 o'clock hold. Was your group impacting at 6 o'clock or were you going for the bullseye? If the group was not at 6 o'clock, how high was it above it?

Tothemax 12-13-2021 12:38 AM

13 clicks up at 100 yards, while holding a 6 o'clock hold with the blade at the bottom of the target produced a dead center hit. My group was a little over 1 moa.

The target size was a standard size. 18"? Or 24" target?

Trepang 12-13-2021 06:10 AM

I grew up on a farm in the Midwest.
Worked with pigs, cows, goats, sheep....etc

A sow with pigs is flat out dangerous.
She turns on you, pins you against the fence or gets you on the ground and you are done.

I'd rather deal with a pi$$ed off bull anytime.

The few times I have went pig hunting I carried a S&W 686+ with seven rounds of Winchester PDX .357 on my hip in addition to my .45-70

Eliyahu 12-13-2021 07:47 AM

I was told, years ago, to always carry a stout handgun when there's hogs around, they consider us food!

Eli

sfc higgins 12-13-2021 10:27 AM

I've seen what a boar hog (large and small) can do. Good advice to make sure you have enough gun to keep them off you. My Dad had a 65 chevy truck that had lots of damaged and beat up sheet metal from angry hogs. I wouldn't want to run up on them. I was out at night leading a patrol and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. When we walked into a group of wild hogs I had to grab a scared and frightened soldier by his collar to keep him from running blindly through the woods, he could have ran right into a tree!

Det. Jason 714 12-13-2021 10:39 AM

Lol-Yeppers

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfc higgins (Post 2099430)
I've seen what a boar hog (large and small) can do. Good advice to make sure you have enough gun to keep them off you. My Dad had a 65 chevy truck that had lots of damaged and beat up sheet metal from angry hogs. I wouldn't want to run up on them. I was out at night leading a patrol and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. When we walked into a group of wild hogs I had to grab a scared and frightened soldier by his collar to keep him from running blindly through the woods, he could have ran right into a tree!

Hoenfels Germany comes to mind with wild pigs. Night patrols got sporty at times.

hugh.sutherland 12-13-2021 09:24 PM

Jason- Hohenfels and Grafenwoehr were both full of them as I am sure you remember. Our brigade (2nd Brigade 3rd ID) shot some with the coax one night during gunnery at Graf and got in trouble with the game warden. The gunners claimed that they were hotspots that looked like dismounts. I rarely saw them during the day, but one day at the cantonment area I saw a sounder of massive pigs and kept out of the way. I felt much better around them when I was in armor with a machine gun or cannon.

BobJ50 12-13-2021 10:51 PM

Did some hog hunting in the Lake Okeechobee area 25+ years ago. I used a M1 carbine with 110 grain Norma SP and carried a M1911A1 for back-up. Dogs would generally be used to chase the pigs and if you were lucky you could get some shots in as the pigs ran. The 110 grain usually worked if you got good placement. Best thing about the carbine was that it was easy to carry and run with thru the palmetto...and you had 15 rounds if a hog decided to come after you. Best long-distance shot was at least 200 yards but still needed to run it down and finish it off.
We always had a hunter or two who would show up with a scoped rifle [which was usually never sighted properly] and not only never killed a hog, but was never again invited to hunt with our group on a VERY large fruit and cattle ranch.
*early morning around water holes almost always drew game.

sigman2 12-14-2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tothemax (Post 2099389)
13 clicks up at 100 yards, while holding a 6 o'clock hold with the blade at the bottom of the target produced a dead center hit. My group was a little over 1 moa.

The target size was a standard size. 18"? Or 24" target?

That could have been your problem, or part of it. Sighted in at 100 yards and hitting dead center with a 6 o'clock hold means that you are hitting high by whatever the radius is. An 8" black would put you 4" high at 100 yards.

JimF 12-15-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigman2 (Post 2099842)
That could have been your problem, or part of it. Sighted in at 100 yards and hitting dead center with a 6 o'clock hold means that you are hitting high by whatever the radius is. An 8" black would put you 4" high at 100 yards.

Yup . . . .
That’s why one should sight-in so as to put the POI at the top of the POA!
When using any round bull as a target, the so-called “Navy Hold”, or putting the top of the front sight blade in the CENTER of the bull, (NOT 6 o’clock) is the way to go.
Likewise, when using a bead front sight, COVERING the bull (or game animal) with the bead is appropriate.

Prince Humperdink 12-15-2021 02:09 PM

Dan,
Too bad you hadn't picked up that .308,you would have scored more :D Great job,Bud!

Tothemax 12-15-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimF (Post 2099950)
Yup . . . .
That’s why one should sight-in so as to put the POI at the top of the POA!
When using any round bull as a target, the so-called “Navy Hold”, or putting the top of the front sight blade in the CENTER of the bull, (NOT 6 o’clock) is the way to go.
Likewise, when using a bead front sight, COVERING the bull (or game animal) with the bead is appropriate.

I will have to reconfirm at the range the next time I make it out. If that is the case I will drop the elevation down a few clicks and see where I am at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink (Post 2099996)
Dan,
Too bad you hadn't picked up that .308,you would have scored more :D Great job,Bud!

I know! Maybe I will have it to use next time I go. :)