CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP 1911 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Given the option, what grade would you select? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=274987)

CPO-Sharky 07-12-2021 05:35 PM

Adding my 2 cents as a 76Y Armorer in the Army Reserves in the late 80's early 90's. It was the time when the Berettas were being used by the Regular Army but we still had one 1911 for the C.O. of our company. I got to shoot it once at the range but the Captain was responsible for cleaning it just like all soldiers were responsible for cleaning their M16's.

artyldr01 07-12-2021 10:57 PM

I might be the anomaly but the main thing I want is: RIA rebuild stamp, mix of parts from all eras (WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, etc, (matching not wanted and don't care about manufacturer), older wear not "new" repark, rack number on grips, and hopefully GI magazine.

I've really hit paralysis by analysis trying to decide which grade is most likely to get me closest to that, Rack is my intention right now but possibly field. I know I am not picking Service I'll end of it is an option.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Deppizzymo 07-13-2021 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artyldr01 (Post 2062222)
I might be the anomaly but the main thing I want is: RIA rebuild stamp, mix of parts from all eras (WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, etc, (matching not wanted and don't care about manufacturer), older wear not "new" repark, rack number on grips, and hopefully GI magazine.

I've really hit paralysis by analysis trying to decide which grade is most likely to get me closest to that, Rack is my intention right now but possibly field. I know I am not picking Service I'll end of it is an option.

Any recommendations?

I have not yet seen a bad rack grade. I have seen some reparked/new slide rack grades... Really is a roll of the dice. I suggest go to the search button at the top of the page and type "rack grade" and search "titles only" in the "CMP 1911" section only and you will see you can really get a gem in the rack grade category. Everyone complains they are "worn" but that's exactly what I wanted when I got mine. Everyone has their opinions and what they want out of these pistols and this is mine. I am not saying there aren't beautiful service grades/field grades with their original finish but reading the field/service grade condition descriptions you will realize that there are not going to be many 80 year old pistols meeting those descriptions without at least being reparked.

markmcc 07-13-2021 07:55 AM

It is a crap shoot shoot what you receive. I would not over think it. Some think that by getting a field grade you will receive one that has not reparked but that is incorrect. I chose a FG and it was reparked with a Colt frame and Ithaca slide and looked like the service grades I have seen. What ever shows up shows up it is out of your hands and no amount of thinking or pondering what you choice you make will change it.

Default_Username 07-13-2021 08:44 AM

Received my call today, was given the option of all three grades. I stuck with Field, so we shall see what they send!

And my RGN was 23,3XX

Flmosinman124 07-13-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Default_Username (Post 2062260)
Received my call today, was given the option of all three grades. I stuck with Field, so we shall see what they send!

And my RGN was 23,3XX

Wise choice!!

ZvenoMan 07-13-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artyldr01 (Post 2062222)

Any recommendations?

What you want is not defined by one of the 3 grades.
Rebuild is not a grade defined item.
Mixed parts appear in all grades.
Matching slide/frame is not a grade defined item.
Refinish/not is not a grade defined item.
Rack numbers are not a grade defined item.

The main issue defining the grades (please read for yourself) is rust/pitting and broken parts (rack only). So, like 90% of us 1911 buyers, the grades don't cover the items many of us "want" (not a complaint, just an observation that many of us forget).
So, using CMP's grades, what you want can appear in all grades.
You are allowed to make a wish (when they call you may make a request). Polite is, of course, key, and then consider their job. A list of criteria is not reasonable, and remember, the order picker MAY be able to pick from only the pistols that are in the order area (so figure how many they ship in a day (~500/month/20 shipping days = ~25 per day), and go a bit larger as there are 3 grades, so a "guess" of 50 +/- ?) They can't search hundreds of pistols so make it an easy request.
I don't think they will ASK you for a request, but many of us have politely worked one into the phone call.
As they do not officially hand select, and we don't know how they actually honor them (maybe they don't, and those that "got their request" may certainly be pure chance), keep it simple. Request that "seem" to work are "frame/slide match", "original/new finish", Manufacturer, "rack numbers", etc.
Make a simple, reasonable request and sacrifice a lamb, pay for the Starbucks customer behind you, whatever karma building act makes you happy.

If it was me; reading your list, I'd pick the best grade available and ask for a "not refinished" pistol. Maybe "not refinished mixmaster" or "Not refinished rebuild"? That will possibly have a higher chance of meeting many of your wishes.
I "like" rack numbers, but as grips are a commodity, I can make (!) rack numbers or buy/trade for some, an easy fix! I wouldn't waste my "wish" on them. I also wouldn't waste the wish on a magazine; they seem to be using new mags for the most part?

Remember, CMP does not offer a "hand select" and doesn't officially grant requests in this lottery. My words are my opinion based on reading the grade descriptions and reading what others have actually reported. They may ignore any and all; random chance would explain most successful requests.

JH

Default_Username 07-13-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZvenoMan (Post 2062298)
You are allowed to make a wish (when they call you may make a request). Polite is, of course, key, and then consider their job.

I should also note, I was very polite, but the rep I spoke with said pretty much point blank "we're not putting notes on orders anymore".

Could be different depending on who you get, but I understand where they are coming from.

As a business, saying you'll put a note in an order, but can't promise, does open the door to more headaches with problem customers.

If it were my business, I would do the same thing. Its easier to just simply set the expectation as "you get what you get" vs giving that little glimmer of hope...which some pain in the neck customers might read wrong, and become a nuisance down the road when they didn't get what they wanted.

ZvenoMan 07-13-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Default_Username (Post 2062303)
I should also note, I was very polite, but the rep I spoke with said pretty much point blank "we're not putting notes on orders anymore".

Could be different depending on who you get, but I understand where they are coming from.

As a business, saying you'll put a note in an order, but can't promise, does open the door to more headaches with problem customers.

If it were my business, I would do the same thing. Its easier to just simply set the expectation as "you get what you get" vs giving that little glimmer of hope...which some pain in the neck customers might read wrong, and become a nuisance down the road when they didn't get what they wanted.

Agreed. I have heard some lottery winners say they have been told the same thing.
While I am sure most of us are polite and appreciative (and they typically are the same on the other end), I also 100% expect that some people make overly detailed requests, point out that someone else got "this exact pistol" that I want, and are probably a bit driven in the stress of the moment to be less than polite.

A few calls like than and I would shut that privilege down as well.
That's why I have always tried to show the process from the CMP side; understand their limitations and make any wish as simple and reasonable as possible.
Note that the "hand select fee" of $10-$20 with many of the milsurp dealers is defined as "the best of 5" or 10.

I can imagine the very professional but human CMP person getting off the phone with some geezer who was "demanding" an all matching Colt/Colt with a specific rebuild stamp and specific shade of finish, yet a worn repark, and saying that as some guy on the internet said he asked for that, and got that, he wanted them to know that he expects no less. After a long lunch at the pub, then they call me next........

Default_Username 07-13-2021 12:35 PM

Right? All my paperwork was in order, FFL valid, etc...so the entire call took under 2 minutes (which I'm sure is a breath of fresh air for those reps).

Who knows, maybe since it all went so smoothly, the rep will give me some brownie points :D