CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP 1911 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Given the option, what grade would you select? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=274987)

Joemac8 12-29-2019 10:35 AM

Which Grade?

The wife's RNG number is approaching. Are we correct in assuming that Service Grade will probably be a 1911a1 fresh from rebuild?

Field Grade will probably be the same fresh rebuild with some minor flaw(s)?

Rack Grade might be a fresh rebuild with more minor flaws, or it might be a serviceable weapon not recently rebuilt and show wear signs?

I have read the CMP description of the grades:

"Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.
Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.
Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts."

What she would like is an older, possibly 1911, with honest wear and not a cookie cutter fresh parked weapon.

How have the grades received actually panned out????

BARFTS 12-29-2019 11:03 AM

What I received fit the upper end of the description for a service grade. It was not a fresh, stamped rebuilt for which I am thankful. What I received had been rebuilt to some degree since it have replacement barrel and replacement grips but nothing was stamped on the frame or slide indication such.

I would not assume they will be fresh rebuilds. Assume it will match the CMP description of grades.

Your best chance for receiving a 1911, I my opinion only, would be to select a field grade or a rack grade but that's no guarantee you will receive what you are looking for.

corpsman5 12-29-2019 11:56 AM

the best examples I've seen so far have been field and rack grades. that's not to say that I haven't seen some service grades that I would love to own. never the less, I think one would have a better chance at getting an original finish using those 2 options. if I were in the running for one, I would probably choose a field grade, but I would definitely be tempted to take my chances with a rack grade. best of luck to you! look forward to seeing what you get!

Dan13 12-29-2019 12:03 PM

I got a Field Grade and it was a 1913 Colt frame, a 1918 barrel, and 1943 Remington Rand slide with a lot of other 1943ish RR parts. There are no rebuild stamps anywhere, but it has been, maybe twice. The parkerization had no wear inside or out like it sat in the armory since rebuild. The frame has pitting around the grips and side from being carried wet in a holster probably with no time to take care of it properly (WW1?). Perfect balance between character and a nice tight aesthetically pleasing looking weapon.

At first I was a little disappointed the slide and frame did not match, but the more I learn about these 1911s the more I appreciate what I have now in my posession. Glad we got a chance to participate in this program and they were not just melted down into slag!

4ds4me 12-29-2019 11:03 PM

I wanted a pistol with some wear, I think the SG pistols over all are extremely nice, I chose a FG based on what people were receiving at the time, rolled the dice and it paid off.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n5nhQHuEtu4upyJU8

Greg

corpsman5 12-29-2019 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ds4me (Post 1898111)
I wanted a pistol with some wear, I think the SG pistols over all are extremely nice, I chose a FG based on what people were receiving at the time, rolled the dice and it paid off.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n5nhQHuEtu4upyJU8

Greg

congrats! that's one of the nicer one's I've seen.

bodydenny 12-30-2019 10:26 AM

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/X8lwqDom.jpg[/IMG]

My service grade was a rebuild,but not recently (in my opinion). It's a 1919 frame completely updated to A1 (except for frame grooves). I'm guessing after being rebuilt at Ogden,it made it's way into the museum system. The museum guns seem to be real wild cards in terms of condition/rebuild.

bandhunter31 12-30-2019 11:43 AM

i would not have your hopes up for receiving a 1911..... my gut tells me that cmp received most of those 1911's by way of the museum guns they were given as part of the 1st batch...... it seemed like everyone towards the end of the 1st batch was getting 1911's...... i hate speculating BUT i would think chances of getting one now are much smaller......

my wife selected service grade and it was a beautiful (reparked) RR frame and slide...... seeing hers i selected a field grade because i figured i had a better chance (at least in my mind) of getting a more "been there done that looking gun" and i got lucky and revieved an ithaca with original finish on the fram (it had obviously been rebuilt at some point)...... but the thing to remember is everything you hear from people on this forum is anecdotal evidence...... if your torn my suggestion is go with field grade and im sure you will be happy with your pistol.......

USMC 00-08 12-30-2019 11:47 AM

I received a Field Grade that is very nice externally, but the bore is awful. I've heard of people speak of barrels that were a "sewer pipe". This is what came to mind when I saw this bore and in my opinion it is not in issuable condition, nor does it have minor rust or pitting like the description of Field Grade says.

Just something for you to be aware of should you choose Field Grade. Field and Rack were my only options. For those of you that might suggest it, I already contacted the CMP, sent the barrel to them and they said it meets Field Grade spec. They are sending it back on January 6th when they resume shipping after the holidays. This is the first bad experience I have had with the CMP and the only reason I've ever had to request something be made right.

On the positive side, it is a Flannery barrel and could possibly be original to the Ithaca frame. I'll still be looking for a replacement barrel.

insurance guy 12-30-2019 02:10 PM

I received a very nice rack grade.. Only option offered. No rust, no pitting.. No regrets. Thanks to Bear Pack here on the forum he told me it was a 1918 Colt. It’s a mix master with the “AA” rebuild stamp.. It’s very cool...

TW56 12-30-2019 03:43 PM

Getting a pistol without a sandblasted 1970-1980's parkerizing is a crap shoot across all three grades if you offered all three grades.

RazorBurn 12-30-2019 04:04 PM

I always advise to get the best grade possible myself.

Yeoman007 12-31-2019 12:57 PM

I got a Service Grade that's a 1911, not a 1911A1. It really is a crapshoot as to whether you get one or the other.

The only options offered to me were Service, Field, and Rack Grades. I wasn't offered a choice of 1911 or 1911A1, nor a choice of manufacturer. As far as I know, no one has been offered any options other than Grade.

If you want one with rust, order a Rack Grade. That's the only grade whose description specifically says it WILL come with rust, and even then it might not be rusty, according to some who've posted here.

Both Service and Field Grade descriptions say MAY, not WILL, come with rust.

Rick

Snoopy47 12-31-2019 05:31 PM

in another Forum I published a post of a SIDE BY SIDE comparison of

Service Vs Field with pictures and everything

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1004074

My number came up much sooner than my wife's. So I picked Service. When she had a choice she only could choose between Field or Rack, so she chose Field.

What I can tell is Service thrown together with working parts and is re-Parked, and Field is not refinished, but thrown together with working parts.

Nates4Christ 12-31-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy47 (Post 1898568)

My number came up much sooner than my wife's. So I picked Service. When she had a choice she only could choose between Field or Rack, so she chose Rack.

What I can tell is Service thrown together with working parts and is re-Parked, and Field is not refinished, but thrown together with working parts.

Wow from those pictures I'd much rather have that field.

Joemac8 12-31-2019 06:41 PM

I would take that field in a heartbeat!

LEAD POISON 01-01-2020 12:22 PM

1911's

I think the service grades are refurbed rack grades.
Think about it,why rebuild,because they were un serviceable.

RazorBurn 01-01-2020 01:50 PM

My service grade I received in October. I would have been happy with a reparked and rearsenaled pistol too as that's the way it left military storage as that's part of it's history.

https://i.imgur.com/ZRt1NbUh.jpg

insurance guy 01-01-2020 02:48 PM

That’s a nice looking pistol....

bandhunter31 01-01-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy47 (Post 1898568)

My number came up much sooner than my wife's. So I picked Service. When she had a choice she only could choose between Field or Rack, so she chose Rack.

just remember your pistols are anecdotal comparisons..... one could certainly get a service grade that has not been reparked and a field grade that has been......

no disrespect intended but the comments from some people on the 1911 forum are the reason CMP forum is the only one i am part of anymore......its obvious that the collection of knowledge here is unlike any other forum......it amazes me that so many (in my mind ignorant) people have an ax to grind when it comes to CMP and the CMP 1911 program specifically and i have no clue why.......

csm14thbn 01-01-2020 04:29 PM

I received this SG 1911 in DEC of 18. It has a RIA rebuild stamp on it

https://i.imgur.com/VwH7XqFl.jpg

FLD 01-01-2020 05:21 PM

Service grade was what was offered when I was called and I'm very happy with it. Reparked with little to no wear, it is probably more accurate than me (tremors tend to spread out the holes in the target).
Had rack grade been offered, I would have selected one. Just my personal preference. But as I said, I'm certainly happy with my SG.
It cycles well with Triple-K, USGI, and Mec Gar magazines. No squawks at all.
It's my personal opinion that none of these pistols, regardless of grade, were thrown together. But it's certainly reasonable to expect that they have been assembled with serviceable (within allowable tolerance) parts by U.S. Army armorers, to return the pistol to functional condition. According to info posted on this forum, the CMP 1911 staff inspected each pistol as an assembly and repaired as necessary any pistol that had a deficiency that affected proper operation.
The rack grades, while possibly in need of grips, grip screws, and possibly having cosmetic imperfections, are still going to make noise if brass is up the spout and your booger picker pulls back on the bang switch.

GarandMan57 01-01-2020 08:11 PM

Field Grade, has holster wear. Colt frame, RR slide. For some reason the PARK matches! Beautiful Colt barrel.
Shoots FANTASTIC!
And a RACK NUMBER!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3814398e13.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...08f55af71a.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Snoopy47 01-01-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nates4Christ (Post 1898570)
Wow from those pictures I'd much rather have that field.

Comments like that certainly make the wife happy.

Her's (field) also does't rattle nearly as much as mine (service).

Army MSG 01-12-2020 11:27 AM

Great pistols shown in the thread. My random number or 11,626 is fast approaching and I'm still torn about which grade to order. I'm leaning towards a Service grade if given the choice and then Field. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I receive. On one hand I would like a pistol in the best condition, but on the other, the hope for original finish or even worn finish would be great. Just too hard to decide.

Moammo6 01-12-2020 01:32 PM

I was lucky and got an early RGN and was only offered SG. Got a perfectly rebuilt R/R mixmaster, but with no "character." Having seen the many fine FGs with character that others have received, I would select a FG in an instant if given a second chance. My son's RGN is coming-up soon, and that is what I suggested to him. Whatever, we should all be happy and proud of what CMP was able to get for us.

Joemac8 01-12-2020 01:49 PM

Her number, 11363 came up Wednesday, late afternoon. All that was offered was Service grade which was taken. Email notice of shipping late on Friday. Have to see what pops up.

Wakko 01-12-2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joemac8 (Post 1901977)
Her number, 11363 came up Wednesday, late afternoon. All that was offered was Service grade which was taken. Email notice of shipping late on Friday. Have to see what pops up.

That's great, can't wait to see it.

I got lucky with my SG, it's a 1918 1911 with strong markings and an old repark. Considering I already have an original finish A1, this was the perfect pistol for me. I truly couldnt' have been happier (unless maybe an original USS!)

GuapoPogi 05-25-2020 03:59 PM

What grade should I pick pick?

So I expect to get a call by the end of June but I am not sure grade to select if I am lucky enough to be offered all three grades. I was going to pick Service Grade hopping for a OA or OB rebuild but I got the impression that the Rack Grades were more likely to be original. The cost difference does not matter to me so that would not effect my decision. What do you all think? Am I right that a Rack gas a good chance of being original or close to it?

GuapoPogi

slufstuff 05-25-2020 04:13 PM

My BIL just received his field grade, and quite honestly, it looks just as good as my service grade. I have seen some very nice field grades posted online lately.

Rack grades are a real gamble IMO. I have seen some that were probably/possibly original finish with just honest wear from years of service. One like that would be great. On the other hand, I have seen a few real dogs with major cosmetic issues. I guess it depends how lucky you feel.

FWIW, if I were doing it again, I would order a field grade.

T38Carbine 05-25-2020 04:34 PM

I think which ever grade you select there will be a chance for better or worse finish.

budmant 05-25-2020 04:37 PM

If I were in the mix ( which I'm not), I would go field grade.

FLD 05-25-2020 04:41 PM

I'm very happy with my service grade, which was the only option when I was called.
If rack grade would have been available, that would have been my preference.
Whichever you choose it'll be a nice pistol.

mycanoe44 05-25-2020 05:35 PM

I was only offered Field grade and was a little disappointed at the time. When it came and I first looked at it, I thought “well it’s not as nice looking as those reparked Service Grades”. It’s a 43 RR with 43 Colt slide with original finish and matching holster wear, so it must have been mixed up right away. It’s tight and smooth and very accurate. I would guess it was carried by the same guy for a long time but not fired much. Definitely has that “been there, done that” look. If offered the choice again, I would definitely choose Field Grade.

jwenum 05-25-2020 06:26 PM

Well my oldest picked a service grade and it looks very nice. I like my field grade because of the Albany rebuild marks. Semper Fi from both of us, years apart in service time. Mine has a few more 'Ding's' than his. Can't go wrong with any choice IMO.

GotSnlB28 05-25-2020 06:28 PM

My plan was to choose Field grade if available when I got the call. Only Service and Rack were available, so I chose Service. Rack was too much of a gamble for me based on the info I had. From the grade description and reports I've seen, Rack grade will not be original or close to original. If that were the case I would have went that way, and I suspect many others too.

bodydenny 05-25-2020 06:30 PM

I would go service. I picked service and got a 6XX,XXX Colt frame "OG" rebuild with a RR slide and almost all A1 features. Great condition and plenty of character.

weimar_police 05-25-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 (Post 1940744)
My plan was to choose Field grade if available when I got the call. Only Service and Rack were available, so I chose Service. Rack was too much of a gamble for me based on the info I had. From the grade description and reports I've seen, Rack grade will not be original or close to original. If that were the case I would have went that way, and I suspect many others too.

My thoughts also - I was only offered Service grade and was happy with what I got. But in the big picture, an original with light finish would be my choice compared to many of the heavy parked ones I've seen.

insurance guy 05-25-2020 06:59 PM

I was only offered a rack grade and of course I took it !! 1911 6 digit Colt. 1918 frame I believe. Mix master of course. Not sure on the finish, but it looks more “original” than some of the re parks I’ve seen.. Shoots great. No issues. Not sure u can go wrong with any selection..

sigman2 05-25-2020 09:50 PM

My pistol was a SG which I was well pleased with.
Based on what I've seen, if they ever get to my wife's number, I'll suggest she pick a FG. I will continue to watch the new photos which may change my mind.