CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Carbine (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   10 Rd Magazines (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=258906)

RVN 69-70 02-10-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 218bee (Post 1910869)
Whatever brands you buy, one important thing are the two factory " stamped bumps" on the back of the mags. When inserting, these are what ride through the mag catch and prevent the mags from falling out. If you look at USGI mags, they are nicely stamped and very pronounced. I bought some 10-rounders recently that had very shallow bumps, and all three would just drop out of the carbine while I was shooting. Not good range etiquette and pretty damn embarrassing. I enlarged the bumps with a tapered punch and they no longer drop out. Just something to look at while shopping for 10-rounders.

Excellent point made there - I will buy one or two to see how they work...If they do, might get more:o

RVN 69-70 02-10-2020 03:45 PM

In VA

Quote:

Originally Posted by 309Carbine (Post 1910927)
10 seems to be the magic number. How long before they consider that too many? I have just been collecting good 5-rounders and not stopping at 10.

Proposed Virginia Bill states maximum 12 rounds ...... again PROPOSED Bill....only time will tell if it passes.........arggggg:mad:

jayej2156 02-10-2020 03:56 PM

228bee, how hard is it to convert those 15's to 10's?

218bee 02-10-2020 04:35 PM

Jayej, there are several ways to block USGI mags. I chose to drill a hole in the floorplate, dead center and run a 5/16" machine screw straight up into the mag body, then lock it off with a bolt inside the mag, against the inside of the floorplate, stopping the downward travel of the follower at 10 rds. By trial and error, you cut the bolt to length, so when you load the mag, it only accepts 10 rounds. I then put a blob of JB Weld on the screw head, so as to make it look permanent and not rile up my King. This way, you are not destroying any mag parts, only a drilling a hole in the floorplate. I guess you could also install a small block of wood as a spacer. Or pop rivet on the side strategically at 10 round mark to stop the follower, but then you're butchering the USGI mag body, which is what I tried to avoid. I have to get educated on my states anti-2A SAFE ACT that got pushed down our throats a few years ago, as I think theres a provision for C&R weapons & their mags.

YahooMarine 02-10-2020 05:21 PM

Timely thread. I too live in VA and am a bit concerned.

The way the bill is currently written it is for 12 round mags. If necessary I'll try the floor plate fix to make 12 round mags out of a few common extra mags I have. Thanks 218B.

Also thanks for the suppliers websites. Might try a few. Fulton has them as well but about 2X the cost.

Tomorrow is crossover day in the legislature and the house bill may not even be sent over as the Senate has 4 dems not comfortable with the measure as it is written. Only need 2 dems to defect. Or, if it is sent over, the Senate may water it down a bit more. Already the provision to register 'assault weapons' has already been deleted. The Senate has no plan at all so the house bill is the issue.

Before panic buying I will wait a few more weeks to see how it ends up.

I am actually optimistic as one dem has already said he will not vote for a ban.

Rich

epm729 02-10-2020 07:21 PM

I bought 10 Promag 10 round mags for shooting matches in Vt. They have all worked flawlessly. Not one mis-feed or had a mag fall out once seared. Eddie

epm729 02-10-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 218bee (Post 1910967)
Jayej, there are several ways to block USGI mags. I chose to drill a hole in the floorplate, dead center and run a 5/16" machine screw straight up into the mag body, then lock it off with a bolt inside the mag, against the inside of the floorplate, stopping the downward travel of the follower at 10 rds. By trial and error, you cut the bolt to length, so when you load the mag, it only accepts 10 rounds. I then put a blob of JB Weld on the screw head, so as to make it look permanent and not rile up my King. This way, you are not destroying any mag parts, only a drilling a hole in the floorplate. I guess you could also install a small block of wood as a spacer. Or pop rivet on the side strategically at 10 round mark to stop the follower, but then you're butchering the USGI mag body, which is what I tried to avoid. I have to get educated on my states anti-2A SAFE ACT that got pushed down our throats a few years ago, as I think theres a provision for C&R weapons & their mags.

You can have 15 round carbine mags in NY as long as they're at least 50 years old and you register them. Eddie

YahooMarine 02-10-2020 08:11 PM

Some more good news in VA... The House bill was watered down again today to make it more palatable to the Senate before passing it over. The penalty for possession of a 'hi cap' mag has been reduced from a class 6 felony to a class 1 misdemeanor. Still sucks and still a 12 round max though. I expect a bit more tweaking in the days to come. Might even get the mag cap up to 15 rounds.

Rich

.30 Carbine 02-10-2020 09:45 PM

Rich, Which bill are you looking at? I have looked at a couple of the bills and find it confusing to figure out which one is the latest. Saturday the Post referenced HB 961. HB 961 discusses getting a permit to own assault rifles, which in the end might leave a bad taste in my mouth, but better than the alternative.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...?201+sum+HB961

Quote:

Originally Posted by YahooMarine (Post 1911068)
Some more good news in VA... The House bill was watered down again today to make it more palatable to the Senate before passing it over. The penalty for possession of a 'hi cap' mag has been reduced from a class 6 felony to a class 1 misdemeanor. Still sucks and still a 12 round max though. I expect a bit more tweaking in the days to come. Might even get the mag cap up to 15 rounds.

Rich

YahooMarine 02-10-2020 11:12 PM

This came in an email from VA Shooting Sports Assoc earlier this evening:

HB 961, Governor Northam's ban on so-called "assault weapons" and standard capacity magazines and suppressors, was on Second Reading today (engrossing the bill ahead of final passage). It appears that those pushing this bill still believe they have to make additional changes to the bill to secure a majority for passage as a floor amendment was added today to reduce the penalty for possessing a magazine that exceeds 12 rounds. If the bill were to become law in its current form, it would only be a Class 1 Misdemeanor instead of a Class 6 Felony. The penalty could still include jail time however as a Class 1 Misdemeanor could result in up-to a year in jail. After a little less than 20 minutes of debate, the bill was engrossed and passed to a final vote that will take place tomorrow. Continue to contact your delegate and urge them to oppose this bill. You can find some great information by clicking here that will be useful for crafting talking points for your email.

HB961 has been amended twice as they fear it will not be sent over to the Senate tomorrow. Could die.

Rich